Home Defense Dog? - Page 18
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Home Defense Dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dogs

I trained dogs for personal protection, hearing impared and warehouse work. My first alert and preempted strike are my dogs. A bad guy can't get a bead on you if he is being chewed by a rott or pit bull. That gives you enough time to get a bead on the bad guy(s).. My dogs, 2 of them can be used to get food, work security and patrol the area..

Old 04-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #172

So I accidently made a double post. Don't know how to remove it.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Last edited by Cody; 04-17-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: double post

Old 04-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #173

You could always do what I did.....Go to the pound and find a slightly aggressive, not likely to be adopted dog. If you take the time to work with them and provide them a good home they'll be great pets. As for a guard dog...you already know their instincts.

I have a lab hound mix. Picked him up at the pound. He was scheduled for euthanasia That day. Makes the best family dog I've ever had but Will Not hesitate to tear into a stranger unless I say their ok. I know this because he's already done it

Adopted a rottie/shep mix too. She was used for dog fighting and was also scheduled for euthanasia. Now she's a great big loud barking baby that never leaves my side.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Old 04-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #174

Default Good dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shooterjunction View Post
What do you all think about a Presa for a home defense dog?

I've talked with the breeders and those at elpresa.com and of course they all say that defense and guarding is one of the things these dogs are best at.

The main reason I'm interested in the presa over other dogs:

1. Short haired and not bad on the shedding.
2. Extremely loyal to the family but distrusting of strangers.
3. Very tough dog that will reduce my chance of even having to get involved if a home invader threatens me.
4. I've never been a fan of smaller dogs and these are far from small.
5. I just love the look of them!

The only downside that I can see is the price. They usually want about $1200 for them but I've heard of other tough breeds (like Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shephards) that run as much as $3000.
The presa is a good dog, but I'll stick with my pit dog..