Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Home Defense Dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal4419 View Post
Im a firm believer that an Akita is the best dog you could own.
...and you don't mess with an Akita's kid.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #162
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 386 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 582

The best dog I've ever had for keeping trouble at bay was a catahoula hound. Everybody you want around better meet that dog in the first 6 months of its life. It'll tear down anybody it doesn't know and make a lot of racket doing it. Get a good cattle dog like a catahoula , border collie, aussie sheperd, or a heeler.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMercer View Post
The best dog I've ever had for keeping trouble at bay was a catahoula hound. Everybody you want around better meet that dog in the first 6 months of its life. It'll tear down anybody it doesn't know and make a lot of racket doing it.
This quote:

"[Catahoulas] do not tolerate isolation and thrive on interaction. Having a chore or job helps occupy their time. Introducing a Catahoula to another animal should be done in the same manner as with any other dog. According to Don Abney, "Catahoulas are naturally protective of what and whom they think they own. In fact, many owners will say that the Catahoula owns them. Catahoulas have been trained for personal protection, but this breed is a natural alarm dog. He will alert you to anything out of the ordinary."

--- source: World Dogs: Catahoula Cur

This means the catahoula is not a good dog for someone working a full-time job because they will be too demanding of the owner's time. Also, the alarm-characteristic can mean they keep the neighbors up by barking all night. This might mean it is better to own such a dog in the country rather than the city. Sounds to me from the previous poster's comment, like a Catahoula, which is a cur and not AKC eligible for registration, would be dangerous to own because its protective nature would induce it to attack the wrong person.

Better, in my opinion to get a dog that can be well trained and will only attack on specific orders from its master. Otherwise you're asking for a lawsuit.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #164

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Best damn interior/exterior alert and alarm, sentry and lap dog there is IMHO. After that, the rest is up to me. Again, YMMV

100_1648.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #165
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 386 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Default catahoula

Prof-milton, you are right on both counts. My catahoula was a mix (sheperd I think) and I lived out in the boonies when I had him. He ruled my place from fence to fence and was so stubborn I couldn't even train him to sit.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #166

I travel alot for my job. My wife is a great shot and has a 9mm sigma by the bed. With that said I still feel better when I leave in the morning and see our Rotty laying in the hallway in front of my childrens rooms. I know that she would give her life for our children. With that said we also have a new member to the family, my wife wanted a lap dog and picked up a Puggle.
(Beagle Pug mix) I call her killer because despite her size she aproaches the front door like a great dane. Any dog that makes you feel safer is the dog for you.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #167

Default First Line of Defense

This animal's name, "Fizz", makes all bad guys tremble...
Satin incarnate... 7 pounds of hell, death & distruction...

fizz.jpg  

Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #168

Default Good look'n..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
...and you don't mess with an Akita's kid.

That is a great looking animal.. I had an Akita 20 years ago. Really good first line of defense..

Old 04-12-2011, 03:42 AM   #169

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

To quote the late Col. John Dean Cooper "... a dog should serve as a warning device, not as a Claymore mine."

Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #170
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1353 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

I remember study that came out a few years ago that showed that a dog proved to be more of a deterant to thieves than any electronic alarm systems.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous