Home Defense Dog? - Page 16
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Home Defense Dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 23

Home Defense Dog? - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

This is my boy. He's the best anybody can ask for with the kids, and a beast with strangers. He has proven himself protecting my wife and kids from strangers, and has past the test of strangers (to him) coming up to the house with and without anybody home. He hasn't had any trailing but definitely understands what "get um" means!

Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #152

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadrinker85 View Post

This is my boy. He's the best anybody can ask for with the kids, and a beast with strangers. He has proven himself protecting my wife and kids from strangers, and has past the test of strangers (to him) coming up to the house with and without anybody home. He hasn't had any trailing but definitely understands what "get um" means!
I had a boxer, one of the best dogs.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 03-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #153

I dont think you should have a dog for protection. you should have a family dog that can defend the house. if you have a big dogs that barks at people by your house can be intimidating enough. as far as breeds go there is no perfect breed. it depends on the dog. I will not make a dog do my dirty work. for instance people who buy attack dogs that are trained. however here is a list a breeds that you might consider.

Rottweiler
Doberman
Boxer
Giant Schnauzer
German Shepherd

pit-bull types are not always know for good guard dogs because they are dog aggressive and not so much people aggressive.

The boxer is big enough and intimidating but at the sametime you want a dog that is good with family and friends and will welcome those who are no danger to you.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #154

I have an akita, and I grew up with Akitas. My dog now, Marley is an amazing dog. I did no training but she is a very loyal dog and a very cautious dog. She will stay by my feet around strangers and will definitely let me know if someone she doesnt know is here. But more so that protection she is just one of my best friends. She has growled when ive had female friends over and we've fooled around, her not knowing if we were having fun or if i was in danger. I know she would protect me if need be.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #155

Just speaking of the boxers that I have come across but they all seem to be big chickens, maybe it just the ones that I have been around. My girlfriend has one and every time someone comes to the door she runs and hides under the bed. If I had to pick any breed I would have to say any of the cur breeds, there cheap loyal and wont back down from anything

Old 03-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #156

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I prefer my Blab over any other dog.

Half Boston half Lab.

Goofy as all get out and a great watch dog. We get the mexican guys coming down the street puting flyers out and they shy away from our house.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #157

Liked 353 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Good lookin dog there, Tango.

I've always liked boxers, but shied away from the snorting, wheezing, breathing problems. Is that cleared up entirely with your mix?

I have a black lab...well, mostly...mix of some sort, with a white stripe down her chest. Friendly with anyone and anything who doesn't seemingly pose a threat to her people or pet friends. Great with tiny kids too. But at the first sign of a threat, she turns into an 85 mound of fury. I'd like to maybe get a Rhodesian Ridgeback at some point. Your Bloxer looks like a pretty cool mix though, as both breeds are great "family dogs".

Zephyr, the 3yr old frisbee enthusiast (never still enough to photograph, and always with a dirty nose), with her old buddy Cosmo:

Old 03-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #158

Likes Given: 1

Default Home Defense Dog

Pound dogs are usually so grateful for a new home, they can be wonderful. And I have seen a few obvious full-breed dogs at the pound (shephards, rotties, etc) that will work fine for deterrants.

I personally had been following a specific line of rotts, and found a grandson of the champion I liked as a "pet" from a high-quality breeder for $1000. He has all the traits you would expect, naturally protective and intimidating. They few times I have gotten into wrestling/play with friends he naturally comes to my defense. And he makes it pretty obvious that if he doesn't know you, you are not welcome. "Walkers" know he is there and avoid my house like it has the plague.

In the end, a dog isn't going to save you. But if your house has motion-activated lights, a loud dog, an obvious alarm system, etc. you will likely get a pass from interlopers who will look for something less difficult.

kane-march-2010.jpg

Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #159

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I had the chance to play with a German Shepherd mixed with a Rottweiler, big dog & knows when to stop playing. That'd be my first choice if the lab hadn't taken its place.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 04-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #160

Decided I wanted to post a pic or two of my baby girl. I know she would do anything in her power to protect me. She has demonstrated it many times in the short time ive owned her. She is an Akita I rescued from the shelter, meet Marley. She has since put on some healthy pounds and grown, In these pictures she is about 60lbs, not she is 80 and healthier than ever. Im a firm believer that an Akita is the best dog you could own for any reason and I wouldnt give her up for anything.

Home Defense Dog? - Survival & Sustenance Living ForumHome Defense Dog? - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

Last edited by Immortal4419; 04-01-2011 at 02:26 AM.