Home Defense Dog? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Home Defense Dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
.... I have a large breed dog, St. Bernard/Pit mix and a small dog Min Pin/Chihuahua. The small breed dog will alert me far in advance if someone is on my property. It's more of a guard dog than my large breed.
Yup! We've had Pit Bulldogs for more than 35 years now; and, my grandfather (the well-known county sheriff) kept a Pit Bulldog at home when I was a boy. Why buy an elephant when a rhinoceros will do!

Several of my Pitbulls have been attacked trained and very good at what they did; but, yes Sir, it's the little Dachshund that is always the first to alert. The Pits have always had too much self-confidence to worry about who's in the backyard. The one we've got now is certainly a house pet; but, she's smart. She knows who to be friendly with; and, if she instinctively doesn't like a visitor, then, no matter how I might behave, neither do I.

Our Pitbulls have always taken care of business; but, it's true, they'll wait for trouble to close with them before they bother to get up. The Dachshund, on the other hand, alerts whenever a distant mouse farts! He can, sometimes, be annoying; but, I'll give that hound one thing: So far he's always been right; it may be nothing important; but, still, there's always something there!

(Like now, damn it! Three of the buffaloes just came into the side pasture; and, he's going nutz! I don't know what he might be thinking; but, I know that I'm certainly not going to back his move!)

Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Yup! We've had Pit Bulldogs for more than 35 years now; and, my grandfather (the well-known county sheriff) kept a Pit Bulldog at home when I was a boy. Why buy an elephant when a rhinoceros will do!

Several of my Pitbulls have been attacked trained and very good at what they did; but, yes Sir, it's the little Dachshund that is always the first to alert. The Pits have always had too much self-confidence to worry about who's in the backyard. The one we've got now is certainly a house pet; but, she's smart. She knows who to be friendly with; and, if she instinctively doesn't like a visitor, then, no matter how I might behave, neither do I.

Our Pitbulls have always taken care of business; but, it's true, they'll wait for trouble to close with them before they bother to get up. The Dachshund, on the other hand, alerts whenever a distant mouse farts! He can, sometimes, be annoying; but, I'll give that hound one thing: So far he's always been right; it may be nothing important; but, still, there's always something there!

(Like now, damn it! Three of the buffaloes just came into the side pasture; and, he's going nutz! I don't know what he might be thinking; but, I know that I'm certainly not going to back his move!)
Them Dachshund's scare me to death. Lol the only dogs I have ever been bitten by. They pack a punch for such a little dog.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveguns View Post
Them Dachshund's scare me to death. Lol the only dogs I have ever been bitten by. They pack a punch for such a little dog.
You got it! That's why we own one. We call him, 'the king of the small dogs'. Doxies are super alert, utterly loyal, and (as long as they think you're going to back the move) absolutely fearless.

Last night at around 2:00am I walked across the front of our driveway. As my feet moved over the crushed stone I could hear our Dachshund begin to growl in the bedroom which is located a good 35 yards away. Sure the windows were open; but, can you imagine the set of ears on that dog!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:11 AM   #94

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is my dog as a 10 month old. He is 7 yrs old now and is very protective of my family. My wife has standing orders to keep him in the house when I'm out of town.

At 7 yrs.

Guarding his catch.(rabbit #5 of 6)

Old 12-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #95

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I am not sure about everyone else but we have a Great Dane that is a love to everyone and everything that is invited in the house by me or my wife(not the kids). I have seen him hold friends of mine at bay very well until I got there to release them. He is not vicious of he knows the person is ok. At 200 lbs he is very intimidating and has a hella loud bark, plus a jaw that can literally bite a leg bone in half(we tested that one on a cow femer from the slaughterhouse). I personally think that any dog can and will protect his home and family as long as he or she feels like she is a part of it.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #96

Chow Chow all the way! i know you said you don't like shedding, but they are super soft and extremely intelligent and VERY defensive of the ones they love and MORE than capable of protecting you and your love ones.

shadowchow.jpg  
"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"

Old 12-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #97

Default Boxer

Hey, I currently own a fawn male boxer (pure muscle at about 75 lbs), and I am very very pleased with him. I have a 3 year old son that has on occasion hit him with plastic bats, took food out of his mouth, and even grabbed his uh, jewels a few times.(I broke him from that quick). Chester(the dog) doesn't growl or attempt anything like that towards him, he just takes it or walks away. Now, when a stranger comes to our home he transforms into a vicous dog, especially if it is a male stranger and is near us. He hasn't made a point to bite anybody but he definately lets his presence be known.

dog.jpg  

Last edited by SHSBulldog06; 12-17-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:43 AM   #98

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have a 5 year old Doberman named Alli who i trained to be an amazing guard/watchdog, she is plus 100lb all muscle and just an amazing dog, She is extremely good will children large and small when she is out and about with me, and with family, she really only gets agressive if someone comes in my house with out knocking, which doesnt happen because my house is locked at all times whether im there or not, or if it seems that im being threatened, or harrassed in anyway.

Had a break in 2 years ago when i wasnt at home but Alli was, whoever broke in came in a side window but apparently occording to the "bloodtrail" only got a few feet into the house before Alli started attacking him/her/them, and they retreated from the house. Nothing was missing as far as i could tell so im grateful for my loyal friend for protecting my home and belongings.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #99

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I guess that would depend on your definition of "home defense." If all you want is an early warning system when bad guys approach, a little yapper would fit the bill. If on the other hand, you want a defender of the pack, trained and able to attack any threat whether at home or away, go with a larger breed. One that is intelligent and trainable. The common police dog breeds should fit the bill. The key, though, is professional training. Talk with a local trainer to see what they might recommend. Not all breeds work well, and not all dogs of a certain breed are intelligent enough.

We had both in one compact package. She was Shepherd / Chow / Wolf, and topped out at 70 pounds. Professionally trained and very protective of her pack (us). She somehow "knew" when anyone stepped foot on our property. We know of at least two incidents where she dissuaded unlawful entry to our home when we were not home, according to neighbors. When out and about, you really didn't want to approach our cars, or in some cases even walk by our cars. She was very adept at "profiling."

Sadly we had to put her down a couple of years ago at age 14. She developed a cancer and other old age miseries. We miss her greatly!

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #100

My parents have 7 chihuahua's lol....they bark at everything and anything... I have a 5 year old Pitbull but she is such a sweetheart she would lick an intruder to death, I dont trust her all the way for home defense......most of the time she is asleep!

lolo-n-rose-049.jpg   lolo-n-rose-050.jpg   lolo-n-rose-051.jpg   lolo-n-rose-053.jpg  

Springfield XD-9 Subcompact
Taurus Model 605 .357 Mag
Kel-Tec P32
Ruger 10-22
Winchester 1300 Rifled Deer Slug (Tactical)
Saiga 7.62x39