Home Defense Dog?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Home Defense Dog?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Home Defense Dog?

What do you all think about a Presa for a home defense dog?

I've talked with the breeders and those at elpresa.com and of course they all say that defense and guarding is one of the things these dogs are best at.

The main reason I'm interested in the presa over other dogs:

1. Short haired and not bad on the shedding.
2. Extremely loyal to the family but distrusting of strangers.
3. Very tough dog that will reduce my chance of even having to get involved if a home invader threatens me.
4. I've never been a fan of smaller dogs and these are far from small.
5. I just love the look of them!

The only downside that I can see is the price. They usually want about $1200 for them but I've heard of other tough breeds (like Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shephards) that run as much as $3000.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Home Defense DOG

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

While I do agree with your Premise of a Home defense dog, I think your narowwing the field a bit? Thier has always been a Place for a Home Defense Dog in many families and those always included the Real Breeds, Shepards, Chows, Akida, Husky and the Like? I know you like the dog your asking about, I can offer no advice on that, as I don't know that Breed? I would offer you a way Cheaper alternative, on that would net you a good dog, Save a dogs Life and Offer releif from many Pounds? ADOPT! Look at the Kind and Size of Dog that your interested, heck they might even have one like your looking for? If not, a great alternative? I have a CHOW and Golder retriever Mix and I would not trade him for 2 Dogs with papers! It was a Simple Love adoption, cost was Low, he was already paper trained, Loves inside and outside living and is a great Natural Guard dog! Not overly agressive with all but Cats, he's good around the kids as well! Look to what works for you and I'm not trying to tell you what that is, but look to expand your search and You might find a great dog, save hi or her life and Adopt an Aminals who's time is UP? Remember, if they don't get Adopted by you and me, many are Just plain killed off? Look at a Puppy, Older Dog or somewhere in the Middle? Good Luck and Let us know how that all goes, OK?

RON L

Old 05-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #3

Just remember that any dog that you use must not be your PRIMARY defense tactic. I would prefer a loud, vocal dog that alerts me to a potential threat rather than one for attack. If you want both, then by all means get one!

My bulldog, Abigail, is a very good alert dog but would probably lick an intruder into submission rather than gnaw him!

Old 05-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 700 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

From my experience with dogs, a family dog is not going to be a guard dog. Even with strangers.

There is a show called "It Takes a Thief". They essentially break into houses and run into all sorts of large breeds (Labs, German Shepherds, Pit Bulls, Boxers, Rotts) and if you act friendly and nice the dog has no problems despite it's breed. If you raised a dog to hate strangers then you might run into problems with him biting people or such, not a good dog to have IMO.

I have a large breed dog, St. Bernard/Pit mix and a small dog Min Pin/Chihuahua. The small breed dog will alert me far in advance if someone is on my property. It's more of a guard dog than my large breed.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:10 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Home Defense dog?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

While I agree that some Large breeds are not good Guard dogs, I challenge anyone to come to my yard and test My Chow/Mutt, You can try and Act Nice, try to feed him, try to be his friend, you'll end up Hurt or hurting him! UPS, Gas meter Reader, alll have to call us First, it's really all dependant on the dog, and a good fence? LOL Got all the l the neighbor kids educated, Mean Dog Signs, have told all the folks to watch out, Now most know!

It depends on how you train them and what they know to look for! All our Friends know he's a good dog, but also know it's his yard and to call us or Yell to house first! I know what shows on TV, I also know what I have tested and works? Just my .02 but mine is a tested method!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #6

Again, brother Ron, you are spot on. Every dog I have owned alerted me to anything or anyone coming near the "zone". That includes my hunting dogs as well as my family dogs. I guess I've just been lucky in that respect.

I just don't feel comfortable with a guard/attack trained dog. Maybe it's just that I can't justify the expense and the increased liability risks associated with one. And, quite frankly, I've never had a space large enough to warrant keeping a larger breed.

I don't have a problem with anyone who has the space and/or the need to have a guard/attack dog.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:44 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default hOME dEFENCE DOG?

Hello TRENT/ALL

Thanks on the Kodo's TRENT! I don't know if I'm right or not? I just know what works for me? I love the resque of dogs from the Pound! If I had a Million dollars or more, I'd be saving a Heck of a lot more of them? I just see my Dog as one that is a good Family dog, But if he doesn't know someone , or we are not around, and you come on the Property, YUP, you got Problems! We have a Fence and Signs posted, so if someone does come in and gets hurt, it's on them, Here in WV, they take a bad lite to anyone on your property to loot, steal or comit crimes! Thats not to say you can have your dog Bitting and going after anyone, but you do need to keep him on a leash or in a fenced yard, where everyone knows the score? I see it as extending the Normal 'MY Yard" perspective that this Chow has and so many other dogs I've had! I love my dogs and don't want them hurting anyone, But I don't want folks in my yard or on my Property when they have no reason to be or wanna hurt one of us?

In that way, I think a Mutt from the Pound with the right instinks Trumps a 3K dog anyday? What say you all?

RON

Old 05-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #8

Ah, that's BRENT,Ron.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Home defense dog

Brent

Sorry about the screw up, I mistyped that!

RON L

Old 06-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've noticed through time some Dogs big or small breed no matter,are just natural aggressive watch Dogs,and will attack anyone not of the immediate Family.