Hog Snares
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Hog Snares

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

image-85752784.jpg Made a couple of hog snares, (I use a bolt on stop at the end of my washer lock, it isn't in the pic.) I am going to try to use a primitive platform snare to spring the noose up onto the hogs leg. Anybody ever try it this way?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1946 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4359

I've never tried it, but it should be really really interesting. That's going to be one mean pig by the time you get to it.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
I've never tried it, but it should be really really interesting. That's going to be one mean pig by the time you get to it.
I'll take pics, possibly video, as long as the other 12 hogs aren't making me find a tall tree.

Can't put them out until Wednesday. If they work I'll be setting a good 5 more with swivels so I can use the tree anchors again. These will be pretty much destroyed providing they work.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #4

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have a permanent pen/trap. When I want to catch hogs I just bait the pen. The pen allows me to keep the hogs healthy until I am prepared to butcher the hogs. I have had a lot of health issues this year. I allowed members of my hunting club to bait and tend the traps. They are catching several hogs each time they bait the trap. In fact, they baited it yesterday.

Concrete reinforcement wire with a strand of barbed wire around the bottom is the best for a hog trap. My trap is at least 10 years old. I have only had to repair the gate a couple times.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-13-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah we're building a pen trap but these are cheaper and I can put them out now. And I can put them out in multiple areas. As long as these work, I'll be using swivels on the next ones, which should keep them from tangling themselves up too bad. It's so cold right now I'm not too worried though.