Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Heritage foundation on EMP (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/heritage-foundation-emp-47272/)

fireguy 08-24-2011 03:44 AM

Heritage foundation on EMP
 
Cspan coverage of the Heritage Foundation discussion on EMP. An hour and a half. I haven't been through all of it yet, but plan to. Just to hear about what the current state of preparedness (or lack of) is good. With all the money going to entitlements I don't see anything being done to protect the grid.

Heritage Foundation Discussion on Electromagnetic Pulse Threat | C-SPAN

Scratchammo 08-24-2011 02:11 PM

Maybe there might be benefits to a carbureted bike after all. If you have an older diesel you're golden.

CA357 08-24-2011 02:16 PM

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Ploofy 08-24-2011 03:24 PM

EMP from a nuke doesn't seem like a valid threat, but you guys know you can make an EMP that will destroy everything electrical for a mile pretty easily, right? Though it's illegal in like 48 of the states.

fireguy 08-24-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploofy (Post 569019)
EMP from a nuke doesn't seem like a valid threat, but you guys know you can make an EMP that will destroy everything electrical for a mile pretty easily, right? Though it's illegal in like 48 of the states.

Why would you say it isn't very likely from a nuke? I can think of a lot of actors who have stated they would like to destroy the US. The technology is there and enemy states could gain considerably by supplying a second party with the means.

bkt 08-24-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireguy (Post 569085)
Why would you say it isn't very likely from a nuke? I can think of a lot of actors who have stated they would like to destroy the US. The technology is there and enemy states could gain considerably by supplying a second party with the means.

Word on the net is it would take a pretty high-yield nuke (50-100+ megatons) detonated at the edge of space - ~60 miles up - to generate an EMP that would really screw up most of the country. Very few nations possess the ability to pull that off at the moment.

Granted, Iran is working toward improving their Shahab missiles and they may be able to achieve that now or very soon. As of right now, they don't seem to have high-yield nukes. If they did, would they mess with us or hit Israel?

Thanks for the link, OP. While it seems unlikely at the moment that this is a serious threat, the threat is not 0; there is at least some potential of this happening.

Ploofy 08-24-2011 06:50 PM

We have railguns, a lot of early warning systems, the North American Missile Defense network, planes that can go along the top of the atmosphere, and places like Hoover Dam and Niagara Falls that definitely wouldn't be effected by the EMP. It would take about 4 feet of concrete to completely stop an EMP. In major cities, thats not that much. I know that MISO and MAP are completely protected against a nuclear EMP. Anything designed to take down a large area would only do so for a week or two. Most vital infrastructure is well protected against EMPs. You'd have to get something inside to take them down, which wouldn't be too hard, but the bigger EMPs would block against smaller EMPs, and if the smaller EMPs went off first, the entire nation would be at the highest alert in about 30 seconds.

MGH 08-24-2011 07:03 PM

I heard a simple steel trash can will prevent any EMP from destroying any electronics inside it. So if you keep your radios, range finder, night vision etc. in there it will be fine.

Anyone know if that's true?

bkt 08-24-2011 07:06 PM

Quebec Hydro was knocked out a few years ago by a CME and took down a good portion of the east coast.

It may be that a big portion of the grid is protected from an EMP, but the devices that use it probably aren't. Think about all the data centers, routing equipment, communications equipment (eg: cell towers) that would fry...it would take somewhat longer than a week or two to come back from that. Cars, watches, radios, computers and even mundane things like kitchen appliances are potentially at risk. Granted, it isn't a very high risk but they're susceptible.

If it's a concern to anyone, keep some electronics (radio, CB, GPS, watch, whatever) in a grounded metal box. It'll work reasonably well as a Faraday cage.

Ploofy 08-24-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 569118)
Quebec Hydro was knocked out a few years ago by a CME and took down a good portion of the east coast.

It may be that a big portion of the grid is protected from an EMP, but the devices that use it probably aren't. Think about all the data centers, routing equipment, communications equipment (eg: cell towers) that would fry...it would take somewhat longer than a week or two to come back from that. Cars, watches, radios, computers and even mundane things like kitchen appliances are potentially at risk. Granted, it isn't a very high risk but they're susceptible.

If it's a concern to anyone, keep some electronics (radio, CB, GPS, watch, whatever) in a grounded metal box. It'll work reasonably well as a Faraday cage.

Mhmm, but even the lower floors of an apartment building, anything under a parking garage, places with a mountain in the line of sight between the event and themselves, will all be fine. Even just all the buildings will add up when weakening the pulse. And, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the internet would still be functional.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.