Heat without electric or gas - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Heat without electric or gas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4659 Times on 2320 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Okay, so I have some short term experience here. Since I am a broke college student and have nothing, I had to quit heating my house (I live in Maine). I have a pellet stove, and oil heat, but couldn't afford it. My house is an old farm house from the 1850's on the water, so it gets extremely windy...and cold. Even in Maine, my house interior stayed around mid 30-40 degrees. Wearing thermal pants under jeans, wool socks, shoes, gloves, warm cap, thermal shirt and a sweater worked pretty good, especially if you're moving around. Only twice did I have to break out the hand warmer. Gloves are a must too. The fingerless gloves work good for things that require dexterity, like brushing your teeth, writing, or typing. Waking up is the worst and you're almost frozen, so waking up I would do 25 pushups, dips, squats, and situps. That seemed to help get the blood flowing and warm me up enough to be able to change in the morning. Soup is amazing for warmth, and holding a warm bowl of soup is great for thawing out stiff fingers.
A cheap zero-degree sleeping bag saved me. I couldn't sleep without it. Just getting inside it, and you'll feel the warmth in minutes.
Also I found that sleeping in a closet works great because you can run a space heater for a few minutes to bring the temp up.
Hope that helps.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #52

Liked 1911 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1455

Wow. Any south facing windows?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1780 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 3961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Okay, so I have some short term experience here. Since I am a broke college student and have nothing, I had to quit heating my house (I live in Maine). I have a pellet stove, and oil heat, but couldn't afford it. My house is an old farm house from the 1850's on the water, so it gets extremely windy...and cold. Even in Maine, my house interior stayed around mid 30-40 degrees. Wearing thermal pants under jeans, wool socks, shoes, gloves, warm cap, thermal shirt and a sweater worked pretty good, especially if you're moving around. Only twice did I have to break out the hand warmer. Gloves are a must too. The fingerless gloves work good for things that require dexterity, like brushing your teeth, writing, or typing. Waking up is the worst and you're almost frozen, so waking up I would do 25 pushups, dips, squats, and situps. That seemed to help get the blood flowing and warm me up enough to be able to change in the morning. Soup is amazing for warmth, and holding a warm bowl of soup is great for thawing out stiff fingers.
A cheap zero-degree sleeping bag saved me. I couldn't sleep without it. Just getting inside it, and you'll feel the warmth in minutes.
Also I found that sleeping in a closet works great because you can run a space heater for a few minutes to bring the temp up.
Hope that helps.
Damn I'm glad I live in the south!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #54

Liked 4659 Times on 2320 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Damn I'm glad I live in the south!
Screw you dude!!!! I'm FROM Charleston!!!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #55

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

i got a interesting question what if the hole grid just shutdown tommaroe and i use natural gas to heat my home i dont have a fireplace or anythang and its dead of winter how do i heat my house? what can i build to heat my house with wood i got plenty of wood and lets say i cant go to town? the question is more directeded to i was dumb and didn;t prepare for the situation even tho yes i do have a generator and kerosene heaters but lets say i dont have any of those or in the long run kerosene and gas for the generator will run out What do i ?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post
i got a interesting question what if the hole grid just shutdown tommaroe and i use natural gas to heat my home i dont have a fireplace or anythang and its dead of winter how do i heat my house? what can i build to heat my house with wood i got plenty of wood and lets say i cant go to town? the question is more directeded to i was dumb and didn;t prepare for the situation even tho yes i do have a generator and kerosene heaters but lets say i dont have any of those or in the long run kerosene and gas for the generator will run out What do i ?
If your natural gas supply is anything close to like ours down here it is all mechanical and the compressor station runs off of the natural gas it distributes. Which is pretty awesome here because it doesn't take much more than a light breeze to knock out electricity to half the county. I've heard estimates ranging from 6 months to 2 years longevity out of the compressor station if the grid completely collapses and nobody can get parts to repair the engines when they fail. If you have a natural gas line from a public utility running to your house you might look into a natural gas generator and hope the grid comes back up before the natural gas stops flowing.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #57

Liked 1911 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post
. . . what can i build to heat my house with wood i got plenty of wood and lets say i cant go to town? . . .
People did use wood before Ben Franklin invented the pot belly (metal) stove. I would think you could cobble something together stacking bricks and/or using field stones. The chimney would be a problem.

Our grid was down for three weeks after the ice storm. We heated the cabin with gas via a central air register. No power? No problem.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #58

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

ive herd of making it out of 55 gal steel barrel but the chimey is the problem

Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #59

Liked 796 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 245

barrel stoves have been popular for years. You can easily buy barrel stove kits(door,legs,collar). All you need is some metal stove pipe. People have been sticking stove pipe out windows for 100 years.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #60
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10102 Times on 4356 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

While a good chimney is MUCH more preferable, one of these kits, one or two 55 gallon drums (cleaned of any flammable or toxic contents) and some stovepipe would be a darned good start. Be sure it is on a non-combustible surface.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/items.asp?cc=barrelstovekits&utm_source=msn&utm_me dium=cpc&utm_campaign=Wood%2BStoves&utm_content=Ba rrel%2BStove%2BKits&utm_term=double%2Bbarrel%2Bsto ve&ctt_id=5014165494&ctt_adnw=MSN&ctt_ch=ps&ctt_en tity=MK&ctt_cli=10x22297x20719x519435&ctt_kw=doubl e%20barrel%20stove&ctt_adid=174320582&ctt_nwtype=b

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.