Ray Ray- if the wood is damp, you will use heat from the paper to drive off the moisture as steam before you can get the wood up to ignition temp.
Assuming you do not have access to a forest of bits of dry, resinous pine or fir, try this- Snag one of the bigger artificial fireplace logs. Grocer, hardware store, etc. Lay on the ground (wrapped) and whack in half with axe. Then whack each half in half. You now have 4 quick lighters- each will burn for about 30 minutes.
Allows you to avoid the temptation to use kerosene, gasoline, or charcoal lighter fluid- which is a good way to find out how good your homeowner's insurance is, how good your medical insurance is, etc.
As far as construction scrap- good stuff- EXCEPT stay away from pressure treated lumber. The treatment that kills bugs and fungi is really not good for Ray Rays. Some contained copper, chromium and arsenic- newer is a quatenary copper or copper boron mix.
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.