Head to the country when SHTF? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Head to the country when SHTF?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1180 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 2288

That's a great point about wildfire if the SHTF. I never even considered that one.

But I have thought about the water quality with all those people "living" close to what few water sources there are.

If it ever gets bad enough that people flee the cities for the sticks, it's just going to be bad. Wildfires would just add to that misery.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #12

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Yep- that would be a "Crowning fire". Was out as wildlife guard for some BLM smokejumpers in Alaska, and saw that happen next valley over. Scared me about as bad as anything ever has. Fire jumps treetop to treetop.

Sounds like you have a very sound plan for landscape mgt. at your place.

Some reading for all-

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06303.html

http://www.acacialandscapes.com/pages/fire-resistant-landscaping.html

http://www.bewaterwise.com/fire02.html

Suppose I could just plant sycamore trees- I can't get THAT stuff to burn in a wood stove!
Good sources for fire resistant landscaping. I've seen a "Crowning fire" when I was in my late teens. The fire was so intense it actually would explode from time to time which really spread the fire quicker. Every time I think about it , it seems as just happened like yesterday. Real scarey...

Old 06-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #13

Liked 719 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Just sand and cactus where I live.... Hope the desert deals with all the "city folk"

Old 06-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #14

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

i lite brush on fire a month ago and burnt a half acre of waste of high GREEN grass not on Propuse i cant imagine what it would be like now if somone started a fire it is dangerously dry were in a severe drought and my crops are taking a beating

Old 06-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Everyone will have a camp fire, cooking fire, fire to boil water to drink, warming fire, whatever fire. You can safely also assume that therefore there will be wildfires. Wildfires with no one to stop them will burn un-checked thru-out the USA.
If the fire doesn't get you the smoke may. A wildfire unchecked could go on for weeks and months. Get downwind of that and it becomes a real threat for some folks pretty quick and seemingly healthy folks as the exposure continues.

And then there is the wildlife thing.....those animals that pilgrims think they are going to live off the land......like the turkey in Christmas Story, they could be "gone.....all gone!!".

Old 06-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Posted to wrong thread sorry

Make sure your not someone's PITA....

Hope for better, prepared for worst...