Have you changed your basic FOOD inventory theory or practice.....????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Have you changed your basic FOOD inventory theory or practice.....????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Have you changed your basic FOOD inventory theory or practice.....????

Have you reassessed your reserve food type or inventory allotment in the last 24 months........???

When I turned 65 y/o I assessed my basic theory for the next 15 years. Now nearly two years into the revised plan, I feel good about the new direction. I aspired to list the known natural disasters that had to be considered; Forest Fire & total loss of everything above ground, Being down wind of a Volcanic Eruption resulting in up to a few feet of volcanic ash, Catastrophic Earthquake which could destroy roads for several months, Grid Down for extended period of time, maybe very extended period of time.

Next I took an HONEST inventory of my physical ability at age 65, then estimated what that would be at 70/75 & 80 years of age. I decided to scrap any consideration to years beyond 75 y/o.

From this model I re-looked at my past food storage theory. And made changes as appropriate. The main shift was to more Freeze Dried Food and an Extensive Caching program.

Other changes were made in reassessing the area of firearms for the future, and clothing for the future.

Have you looked at your fundamental theory with fresh eyes.........????

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #2

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I wish I could go more with freeze dried food, and have been just recently buying more, but it is the most expensive of my three layers of food storage (canned goods, which get rotated through general use; bulk foods such as rice and beans in mason jars with oxygen absorbers; and pre-packaged freeze dried foods.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I have some bulk rice sealed and other dried foods. Ramen, noodles and beans. What I need to do is learn more about canning.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1302 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 2728

Default Yep

I've definitely reassessed my food inventory theory. After developing several food allergies triggered by ticks I've had to completely rethink a lot of things. My goal for last year was to produce almost all of my own meats (hunting), veggies, nuts, and fruits. Mammals are off the menu for the moment. I should get to where I can eat most mammals again soon, but I might not ever be able to eat beef, pork, or lamb again. I can get by without the beef and pork but venison was a big part of my inventory plan. I had three deer in the freezer when I learned I couldn't eat them.

Freezing isn't a good storage plan but I wanted to focus on producing last year and then expand into different storage methods this year such as canning and smoking. So for the moment I'm playing this by ear on the meats. And nuts are also off the menu so that isn't going to be an issue, which sucks because of all the pecan and walnut trees around here. Many of the nuts store well and are great for you. Plus having to avoid peanuts is a real pain. Oh well.

I'm still good on the veggies and many fruits. I didn't get to do a garden this summer but I'm set for the spring and some fall stuff. For the fruits I know where some fruit trees are that I have access to but I've got to get some of my own in the ground. One of the trees I want to plant is and Arkansas Black apple tree. They're supposed to be great for storing and eating in the winter. I'll find out before too long!

Much of this is related to production rather than storage but I don't really differentiate between the two. I think it's just as important to be able to produce food as it is to be able to store it. There are a number of potential disasters that could prevent me from producing so storage is very important, but there are also a number of scenarios that could prevent me from having access to what I have stored. That makes being able to produce just as important.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #5

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I would say to keep meats and the nuts and use them as barter. There will be people around you that will need things. This is great barter foods. Especially the pecans. If you have it and can't eat it store it anyways. Especially if it doesn't really cost you anything.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #6

Liked 74 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Ok I love all this stuff. And I really think I could live in the root of a tree and live off the land etc. etc. Stick me in the woods I never want to go home. AND... Cooking your food without smoke (so you won't be noticed) would be beneficial to any plan. Check out on youtube "16 brick rocket stove". I built a 24 brick one. The fuel is STICKS... sticks, tiny sticks that you pick up off the ground. It's so easy and the most efficient heat. I cooked up a storm. I love outside cooking and anyone can build it.
-photo1- The Rocket Stove that DOA built, boiled water in 8 minutes.
-photo2- Beef wraps with a side of rice. (the rice was better than any rice I made on the stove)
sharing the love,
DoA

img_5771.jpg   img_5773.jpg  

Old 09-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1302 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 2728

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterofAres View Post
Ok I love all this stuff. And I really think I could live in the root of a tree and live off the land etc. etc. Stick me in the woods I never want to go home. AND... Cooking your food without smoke (so you won't be noticed) would be beneficial to any plan. Check out on youtube "16 brick rocket stove". I built a 24 brick one. The fuel is STICKS... sticks, tiny sticks that you pick up off the ground. It's so easy and the most efficient heat. I cooked up a storm. I love outside cooking and anyone can build it.
-photo1- The Rocket Stove that DOA built, boiled water in 8 minutes.
-photo2- Beef wraps with a side of rice. (the rice was better than any rice I made on the stove)
sharing the love,
DoA
Thanks for posting that. Now I've got to start keeping all the firebricks I find while metal detecting around old home sites. I will definitely be trying that soon (I'm always on the lookout for new ways to cook chicken).
Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

Liked 181 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 148

forumrunner_20130913_140652.jpg

forumrunner_20130913_140732.jpg
Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #9

Liked 181 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Sorry phone acting weird today. Here is rocket stove made out of a gallon paint can, large bushes baked bean can, & 2 Campbell soup cans. Filled with sand, same as brick rocket oven but more portable.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #10

Liked 74 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Vermiculite can also be used as insulation. And yes, I saw the can rocket stove too! very cool.. out of bean cans!! for pete sakes!!! lol~ We want to build one that is the in the "J" shape or form. Apparently it feeds by itself. but that's another big project on another day. and probably a lot of trial and error.