Hand Tools For Evacuation Kit? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Hand Tools For Evacuation Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I guess there is some benefit to living in my part of upstate NY...no earthquakes, no floods, no hurricanes, tornado's, no seashore, no power plants, chemical plants, industrial sites, and the closest Nuclear Plant is over 250 miles away on the Hudson River valley at sea level... the only thing to worry about here is cow emissions.... and taxes
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-26-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #22

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think there are some similar tool kits from Stanley and others that give you slightly heavier duty tools. Of course, they won't help you build an Ikea "Billy" bookcase in your new lean-to.

I was thinking that for a vehicle kit, I'd also probably want a radiator patch kit, some fixa-flat, some anti-freeze, and some duct tape at a minimum.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

In/on my Samurai I have a small-but-sufficient set of tools, a small hatchet, a socket breaker bar, a small prybar, a hi-lift jack, a winch, an air pump, and an assortment of offroad accessories (tow straps, camp shovel, etc).

For my Bug-Out gear I am pretty much down to a knife, a home-made 21" steel baton (1" pipe with plug welded into striking end and a rope grip with lanyard on the other), a home-made spool with 50' of 900lb rope, and some duct / electrical tape.

I have been contemplating the following:

1) Taking the compact camp shovel from my samurai and put it in my pack, replacing it with a larger shovel.

And/Or

2) Replacing my steel baton with a strait pry-bar of similar weight. The flat sides (been looking at square ones) would make hammering much easier, and obviously I'd be able to use it to shift and pry heavy objects much better than the baton. So basically I'd be replacing a weapon with a versatile tool that can also be used as a weapon.

*edit*

Actually, thinking about it, I'll probably just go with a Rip hammer. Obviously it can be used to hammer, heh, and the claw side is actually designed for prying. Of course, the claw side could be used for light digging (at least as well as a pry bar and still better than a knife), and it makes a natural bludgeon for emergency purposes.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 07-28-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Tags
hardware, survival tools, tools