Hand Tools For Evacuation Kit? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Hand Tools For Evacuation Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
My endgame follows a slightly different theme, no offense.

But if you are packing tools, don't forget some rope & maybe a little wire. If you are talking about a car kit, don't forget extra fuel line for siphoning and such.
Yeah, in that case the rope and wire will come in handy when I catch your ass siphoning gas from my vehicle...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Yeah, in that case the rope and wire will come in handy when I catch your ass siphoning gas from my vehicle...
You mean that you would actually confront him with the hose in you tank and not just pop a cap?

Layton

Old 07-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
You mean that you would actually confront him with the hose in you tank and not just pop a cap?

Layton
I wouldn't want to risk blowing up my own car...
Then again, being a pot-head, he'll probably be smoking while he's syphoning...

Old 07-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5742 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
In this area lots of people improved their siphoning skills after Katrina. My dad had the sense to buy the gas from a neighbor's crushed Expedition to use in his generator. Lots of peeps down here now have natty gas generators hooked up to the house lines; it never went off for some reason.

And there's no way in heck i'd be that far north RL.

Quote:
Then again, being a pot-head, he'll probably be smoking while he's syphoning...
Too late, a buddy learned that lesson for me. My first car was a 65 beetle (stressing beat) with a non-functional fuel guage. I would check it with a dipstick (cap under front hood); as we stopped to water the bushes on a rural nighttime ride, i asked a buddy to check the level. When i looked up dude had a lit zippo over the open gas tank; he understood when the rest of us dove for cover. Luckily, the tank was soooo low there weren't even enough fumes to catch fire. We didn't make him walk all the way home.

Last edited by orangello; 07-25-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
In this area lots of people improved their siphoning skills after Katrina. My dad had the sense to buy the gas from a neighbor's crushed Expedition to use in his generator. Lots of peeps down here now have natty gas generators hooked up to the house lines; it never went off for some reason.

And there's no way in heck i'd be that far north RL.
Here, they just crawled under the car and punched a hole in the tank.

Layton

Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:

Too late, a buddy learned that lesson for me. My first car was a 65 beetle (stressing beat) with a non-functional fuel guage. I would check it with a dipstick (cap under front hood); as we stopped to water the bushes on a rural nighttime ride, i asked a buddy to check the level. When i looked up dude had a lit zippo over the open gas tank; he understood when the rest of us dove for cover. Luckily, the tank was soooo low there weren't even enough fumes to catch fire. We didn't make him walk all the way home.
It's the fumes that cause the explosion - it lowers the "flash point" dramatically - you're safer with a full tank than an empty one. You can throw a cigarette into a can of gas and it will go out - try it when the can is almost empty and it will explode.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5742 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Not all the siphoneees were crushed, though.

RL, it was really, really low, maybe two gallons at the most. I did feel very lucky not to have to explain a flaming car though.

Last edited by orangello; 07-25-2009 at 08:53 PM.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Not all the siphoneees were crushed, though.

RL, it was really, really low, maybe two gallons at the most. I did feel very lucky not to have to explain a flaming car though.
10-15% tank capacity is perfect for a nice explosion - what's a VW Bug tank capacity? 12-15 gals? I had a buddy who burned to death in his 1970 VW. He ran off the road drunk and hit a telephone pole - the car caught fire and was engulfed by the time the fire dept. arrived. His brother and one other friend were in the back seat and escaped out the rear window. So did the passenger in the front seat. He later told us the damned gas tank ignited instantly, and being a VW, his brother was pinned behind the wheel by the gas tank and telephone pole...he was conscious the whole time he burned.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:44 PM   #19
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 12443 Times on 5336 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Fully understand the "defend in place" view- HOWEVER- self assessment time.

Watch the weather radar- determine the wind movement patterns in your area. Then look at what is UPWIND from you. Powerplants? Chemical plants? Rail lines? Nuke facilities? Major cities? The chemical plant boo-boo in Bhopal India was 25 yrs ago- and killed an estimated 15,000 people

While I CAN "defend in place" for a limited time from chemical or nuclear accidents, key word there is limited time. It gets really hard to eat while wearing MOPP 4 gear.

For some folks, the weather itself may be a cause for unplanned movement- hurricanes, floods, fires, ice storms, plague of frogs, plague of locusts, etc.

If you are already occupying defensible terrain, and the threat is HUMAN locusts, well, OK- then drop the abatis across the road, arm the Claymores and the Fougasse, and check the range cards. But there are natural disasters that may force your hand. Do some planning while you have leisure time.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #20

Y'all have some good ideas on what to pack. My bug out vehicle is on four hooves so I would add Things like nippers, double-sided file, sandpaper and one of those collapsible hoof stands. As always, get good quality, your life may depend on it. For those that shoe their bug out vehicle, good iron shoes with cleats work well for going up and down mountians. There are also boots for long rides on hard surfaces.

Tags
hardware, survival tools, tools