Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Hand to Hand Combat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hand to Hand Combat?

Does anyone here practice martial arts? If so, what form do you practice and why? I am trying to find a good way to defend myself if for some reason I don't have my gun on me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #2

The Israeli Krav Maga is particularly good and well worth a few lessons to see if you take to it.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
The Israeli Krav Maga is particularly good and well worth a few lessons to see if you take to it.
I have studied it for the last two years, and find it to be the most useful form of martial art for real life. When I was younger I was very active in Tae Kwon Do and competed in local tournaments. In my experience most forms of martial arts taught in America are useless outside of a ring with rules. Krav Maga was not designed to look fancy, it was designed to work.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hand to hand Combat?

Hello all

Ron = Seresurplus here! I currently hold a Green Belt in Tae Know Do, but to be honest, It's been years sinced I've really Praticed it? I have settled into my own Mixed Breed of hand to hand and More Often Edged weapons when Firearms were not an Option? I see the Need to Fight Open hand, But Given the Option, I will Pick using an Edged weapon each and Every time? The Ability to Take an Opponent with an Edged weapon to me seems like a Better option and Thought I would Fight Empty hand Given no other way, Just not my preference?

I've had My share of Fights in and out of the Service and before anyone asks me if I have ever Killed anyone, Remember, Only the Bragarts will respond to that Question? Killing someone is a Horrible thing and leaves a mark on your Heart and Soul! If you must, DO, if Not, Leave them as ya found them (Asleep on Guard Duty)! LOL In all seriousness, martial Arts is a great addition to Survival skill,s but only 1 part? Just my thought, yours might differ greatly and I'll never call yo wrong for that opinion?

RON

Old 10-28-2007, 05:05 AM   #5

I would also take boxing lessons for a few months learn the basics, left jab and overhand right...I fouht for 3 years back in my late teens and you never forget how to punch. The simple things like turning the wrist with a snap or teaching you how to step into a punch or turn your hips. All of this will double the power of a punch if not triple in some people.. most people punch incorrectly..... Krav Maga as well it good to mix it up...

Old 10-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My whole family takes TKD. My wife and oldest are instructing as well. Why TKD? Well there is not much else here in the frozen boonies. I have found that what most people want out of TKD, or any martial art, is the stuff that TKD teaches once you reach Black. Of course most people quit long before this, or as soon as they obtain BB. We are definitely a "want it now" nation. Did you know that traditional martial arts programs are tailored to the US market and that mentality?

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 11-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #7

Not bashing TKD at all, and sorry If I offend anyone.

TKD will get you know where, punching from your hip, spinning kicks, oh wait I mean "Tornado Kicks," are you kidding me?

As a 6-0 Pro MMA fighter (145lb. class WEC, RFC,WFC, etc.) and someone who has probably been in more street fights/weapon (including knife) fights then you can even imagine. I will go out on a limb and say TKD is for children to learn the basics of self discipline and a confidence booster toward their own self defense. If you are truely interested in self-defense and practical defense (big difference between the two). I suggest, Krav Magga for those who want a well rounded weapon defense program. From my involvement and research in the IKM system, I found it to be extremely useful in disarming untrained citizens, in no way would I want to use this system against someone well trained in weapons. Obviously anyone well trained in weapons will be able to overtake an unarmed man but for hand to hand or hand to kinfe combat I suggest:

Ground Fighting (90% of fights will end on the ground):

Russain Sambo is a great system. (Currently training)
*Mainly focus' on leg locks, hip locks, and ankle locks

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (working on my Brown in this)
*The ultimate ground fighting system.
*With this you can easily submit or criple a threat.
*Doesnt matter how big they are if they cant breath or have lost function of their joints.

Wrestling (Highschool/Collegiate)
*Great for balance and setting up the "ground and pound"

Stand Up Fighting

Nothing beats Muay Thai
*Form of kick boxing originating in Thailand, no dancing or rythyms here...just plain laying on a beating.
*Includes kicks, punches, elbow and knee strikes

Boxing I have found to be great for defending your face, I myself boxed for a few years with a pro record of 14-0. I love boxing, now in a street fight I'll pull my muay thai card. No one expects a solid elbow or knee strike.

Quickest way to end a "street fight" or "bar confrontation"
IMO A great opener for any confrontation is the head strike (head-butt). One of the quickest ways to put someone to sleep and suprisingly one of the best methods for inflicting minimal harm on your own body when performed correctly, actually less than a punch/kick believe it or not.

Again I appologize if I offended anyone or put down anyones form...Any type of martial art is great and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you feel comfortable with a certain art or style, STICK WITH IT!!!!

-DangerMMA

Old 11-12-2007, 04:17 AM   #8

i practice brazilian jiu-jitsu, i picked it because from what ive read it seems to be the most effective... but everyone has their own oppinion on that.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hand-to-hand, unarmed fighting should be avoided at all costs! If you find yourself in a street fight, fight dirty. Cheat. Bite. Gouge. Go for the gonads. No rules apply when someone is trying to kill you. Better yet, don't get caught without your gun.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Hand-to-hand, unarmed fighting should be avoided at all costs! If you find yourself in a street fight, fight dirty. Cheat. Bite. Gouge. Go for the gonads. No rules apply when someone is trying to kill you. Better yet, don't get caught without your gun.
that is a darn good point.