Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > hand gun, or hunting rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post

What do you already have?...in your "collection"?
2 rifles a Ruger 10/22, and a Remington 597, I want something with more kick. The Ruger has a silencer, and the Remington has a scope.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #52

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
2 rifles a Ruger 10/22, and a Remington 597, I want something with more kick. The Ruger has a silencer, and the Remington has a scope.
Well since you don't have a hand gun, I'd go with that, my logic when I started was I wanted to fill every role and then expand from there, like a wheel gun, semi-auto handguns and then a shotgun and rifles and so on.

If you want something with with some kick .357 or 44mag wheel gun or even a Smith 50 cal.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #53

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Most "gun' people (much less "survivalists" don't even understand WHAT "roles" there are, much less what pcs best fill those roles. The "toolbox" of guns doesn't need to be very large, if you are truly skilled and if you realize that most of the "needs" are instead really just "wants". For instance, there is no need whatsoever to take birds on the wing (much less shoot clay "pigeons". All birds land sometime, unless they are at least duck or pheasant sized, they are not WORTH a shotshell (food wise) and trapping small game and birds is much more likely to result in the needed calories being acquireed, without your burning more calories trying to get the food.

Last edited by bonney; 12-12-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #54

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

bonney, lighten up a little.
Most every question and answer on this forum is opinion. Sometimes it is fact based(like will this part fit that gun). Opinions are just opinions not right or wrong. Like this thread- pistol or rifle, what's your opinion. Neither answer is wrong. I will tell you one thing about life - - learning is done with the ears not the mouth. Or lurk and learn, if that is easier to understand.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #55

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

A rifle and a shotgun fill different roles, a wheel gun and a semi-auto also fill different roles, there's not one catch all gun out there.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #56

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got a mosin, and plan on getting a Glock in a few months.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #57

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

sure there is, plenty close enough, in longarms, it's an M4 with a sound suppressor, scope and .22lr unit. The pistol is for "normal times', when it's not feasible to carry a longarm. Once shtf and everyone IS carrying a longarm, the pistol has almost no role at all, so the EDC pocket 9mm serves just fine, as a "shtf pistol", because other than serve in a tunnel, in your sleeping back, as you drive, or as you climb, the M4 is a far, far better choice than any handgun. so why have a big, heavy pistol, all the bulk and weight of more than 1 spare mag full of ammo for it? there's no point in it. better KEEP that autorifle on the assault sling, if shtf.

There's no need of the shotgun at all, and you can't CARRY both a shotgun and a rifle and the gear you need to last even a few days. You can't USE a gun you aint got, so it's the shotgun that has to go, not the fighting rifle.