hand gun, or hunting rifle. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > hand gun, or hunting rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post

Yeah, I get your meaning. But are you preferring a Model 60 due to lots of previous experience and practice with it? It being only 22LR really limits it in the situation you describe - it seems. Tell me if I'm wrong...

I'm guessing you are thinking of a near perfect head shot with the 22 in that hostage situation. What if you didn't have a good head shot view? That 22 is not gonna do much to an arm or leg shot. But a larger caliber might - 223, 243, 270, 30-30, ... in rifles. Larger more powerful would tend to tear a big hole that would be very difficult for the bad guy to ignore.

I tend to agree that a handgun shot would be questionable - with the short sight radius. Though not impossible.

But one of the previous posters remarks about having 15 in the pistol mag makes a lot of sense - if a number of footsteps are coming up the stairs - whether you think it's too late or not - you don't give up at that point (as one poster seemed to imply) - you always try. But you need something to try with - and a high capacity handgun would be the key in that situation.

I don't happen to own a high capacity gun myself. But I'm thinking. I, too don't care for Glocks and their funky "non-safety" and short trigger pull. No thanks. No accidentally shootings for me.
But I did see a Ruger 95 that I had never heard of before, that has a lot of good characteristics. It's not a pretty or fancy gun - but it is reliable, by all accounts, long trigger pull, single and double action, exposed hammer, 15 round mag, a real safety, in cheap common 9mm ... all good things in my opinion. Oh... and it's cheap... does that count?
Great post!

Old 12-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #42

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If your budget is limited, (this is biased, I'm sure) I'd buy a Mosin Nagant M44 for $100 or so, and 880 rounds for it for $160 ish, AND buy the Glock. When your funds increase, modernize the Mosin. It's cheap to shoot.

I added the Brass Stacker scope mount to my M44 which allows me to still use the iron sights. That allows quick targeting which is something that .308 with a high powered scope won't allow.

12FRETTER

Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #43

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

nuts, the bolt action will soon belong to somebody who knew enough to have an AUTORIFLE, once shtf. shtf is not yet, and the pistol is what's needed today, plus the rifle has no use for current times defense, and the bolt action is certainly not what you want if SD is your use for a rifle. I'd never bother to own a bolt action, cause they do nothing that the auto can't do perfectly well,a nd the auto can do several things that the bolt can't TOUCH, like see over a suppressor with the iron sights, use a rapidfiring, repeating .22lr conversion, be used with just one hand, be concealed when taken down, etc.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #44

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Mosins were obsolete clunkers when they were brand new. if you can't afford more of a rifle, then you also can't afford to shoot it enough to be any good with it, and you'd better stick to a .22lr, lots of practice, and being VERY sneaky if shtf. stick to thick cover or darkness and the .22 autorifle is enough, if you are skilled as a shooter/fighter, and have a sound suppressor and subsonic ammo for it.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1498 Times on 980 Posts
Likes Given: 3237

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonney View Post
nuts, the bolt action will soon belong to somebody who knew enough to have an AUTORIFLE, once shtf. shtf is not yet, and the pistol is what's needed today, plus the rifle has no use for current times defense, and the bolt action is certainly not what you want if SD is your use for a rifle. I'd never bother to own a bolt action, cause they do nothing that the auto can't do perfectly well,a nd the auto can do several things that the bolt can't TOUCH, like see over a suppressor with the iron sights, use a rapidfiring, repeating .22lr conversion, be used with just one hand, be concealed when taken down, etc.
It only takes one well placed shot!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Yeah, I get your meaning. But are you preferring a Model 60 due to lots of previous experience and practice with it? It being only 22LR really limits it in the situation you describe - it seems. Tell me if I'm wrong...

I'm guessing you are thinking of a near perfect head shot with the 22 in that hostage situation. What if you didn't have a good head shot view? That 22 is not gonna do much to an arm or leg shot. But a larger caliber might - 223, 243, 270, 30-30, ... in rifles. Larger more powerful would tend to tear a big hole that would be very difficult for the bad guy to ignore.

I tend to agree that a handgun shot would be questionable - with the short sight radius. Though not impossible.

But one of the previous posters remarks about having 15 in the pistol mag makes a lot of sense - if a number of footsteps are coming up the stairs - whether you think it's too late or not - you don't give up at that point (as one poster seemed to imply) - you always try. But you need something to try with - and a high capacity handgun would be the key in that situation.

I don't happen to own a high capacity gun myself. But I'm thinking. I, too don't care for Glocks and their funky "non-safety" and short trigger pull. No thanks. No accidentally shootings for me.
But I did see a Ruger 95 that I had never heard of before, that has a lot of good characteristics. It's not a pretty or fancy gun - but it is reliable, by all accounts, long trigger pull, single and double action, exposed hammer, 15 round mag, a real safety, in cheap common 9mm ... all good things in my opinion. Oh... and it's cheap... does that count?
I own a Ruger P95. It shoots well, I would have total confidence in hitting a 6" target with it at 25 yards. Would I take a head shot with some looney tune holding my wife at 25 yards? Not no, but hell no! With a marlin 60 he better be right with who ever he sees as god. In fact, I would take the shot with any rifle I own that is in good repair. Well, not the 91/30.

I shot an IDPA match this weekend with my Ruger P95. There were two champion shooters participating in the match. One bay was all steel targets. Part of the course of fire was a set of 6" circles. No one managed to hit all the targets. I missed twice finishing the course in 38 seconds. I was taking slow deliberate shots. I knew I couldn't beat the fastest time shot in front of me, 29 seconds. I am not sure what the fastest time was in the entire match. By the way, the fastest time in my group was shot with a 6 shot revolver.

If I had shot the same course of fire with my Hi Point 9mm carbine I would not have missed a target and I would have shot it much faster than 29 seconds. I own better rifles. I just used the Hi Point to illustrate the accuracy and firepower advantage any rifle has over a handgun.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-11-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #47
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Quote:
Mosins were obsolete clunkers when they were brand new. if you can't afford more of a rifle, then you also can't afford to shoot it enough to be any good with it, and you'd better stick to a .22lr, lots of practice, and being VERY sneaky if shtf. stick to thick cover or darkness and the .22 autorifle is enough, if you are skilled as a shooter/fighter, and have a sound suppressor and subsonic ammo for it.
Bonney, you can't be serious about all you spout off about, or can you? most bolt actions will trump most semi-auto's in the accuracy department. that's a fact! what really comes through most of all your posts is you total lack of knowledge of firearms. study a little history while you're at it too. those Mosins did a number on the Germans in WWII in the hands of those Russians!

need to pull your head out of your video games and enter into the real world and try and learn something. becuase most of what you post sounds like something from either a B-rated action film or a video game! just how old are you? because you sound like a 14-15 yo kid!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Bonney, you can't be serious about all you spout off about, or can you? most bolt actions will trump most semi-auto's in the accuracy department. that's a fact! what really comes through most of all your posts is you total lack of knowledge of firearms. study a little history while you're at it too. those Mosins did a number on the Germans in WWII in the hands of those Russians!

need to pull your head out of your video games and enter into the real world and try and learn something. becuase most of what you post sounds like something from either a B-rated action film or a video game! just how old are you? because you sound like a 14-15 yo kid!
errrmm, you are giving him to much credit...
Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #49
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
errrmm, you are giving him to much credit...
11-12 yo kid then?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #50

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
I'm on the fence, should I get. A Glock 19 Gen 4, or a Remington 700 in .308 with a high power scope. They both will be for target shooting mainly Withe secondary uses. The Glock for conceal and carry, and the Remington is for hunting. Both are would be aimed for an shtf scenario, as well.
What do you already have?...in your "collection"?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.