Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > hand gun, or hunting rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lol. It's for normal day use. But if shtf I think I need a pistol. If I don't have a hunting rifle by then I'm sol anyways. Im in a suburban almost rural area. It's about 20 minutes out of Boise Idaho. For those who don't know Boise is the largest city in Idaho. If shtf my area of choice for bug out is the mountains. Hunting is plentiful out here but crime will be the first problem I face I think. So the pistol first seams like the logical choice. I will get them both eventually but if I bought one of them today and crap went down tomorrow, I would want a pistol over a bolt action. At this time I can't afford a semi auto rifle so that's why im deciding between these two. I don't like the recoil on a shotgun and my wife and kids can't handle them, that's why im going with a pistol instead.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #22

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
Besides...idkmuch about pistols...but word on the streets are glocks suck lol.

Glock makes a fine pistol. Not for me but there's a ton of them out there that do what they where made to do. I don't buy into the hi cap being a needed thing for a pistol to hold but I don't see them as being a hindrance that's for sure. I mean, I have a 9mm Smith that holds 15 and it's pretty neat.

Back to the OP. He posted two choices. He plans to have them both at some point so it appears to me that they have done their research and made up their mind. The question was to get first.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post

Back to the OP. He posted two choices. He plans to have them both at some point so it appears to me that they have done their research and made up their mind. The question was to get first.
Correct. On I side note I wasn't a Glock person either. I hated the handle shape, until I found this www.gripreductions.com that makes the handle more the shape of a 1911.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 713 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Or maybe a nuclear submarine.
No thanks, been there done that, they are over rated.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 909 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 1501

Truth is none of us know what it would be like if SHTF. With that said I'd still take a rifle over a pistol any day. A firearm is a useful tool because it extends your range more than any other weapon. That's why they replaced swords. And a rifle increases your range more than a pistol. For me the only question is "which rifle?", but you've already answered that question.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #26

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Why not a Derringer? Geeez!!! LOL

Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Truth is none of us know what it would be like if SHTF. With that said I'd still take a rifle over a pistol any day. A firearm is a useful tool because it extends your range more than any other weapon. That's why they replaced swords. And a rifle increases your range more than a pistol. For me the only question is "which rifle?", but you've already answered that question.
well stated.

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
What caliber would u recommend? Likei said im in the market. I want one that is plentiful probably .223 or .308. .223 is cheaper and i can fill a fridge with it...but .308 goes BANG if u know what i mean

Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
What caliber would u recommend? Likei said im in the market. I want one that is plentiful probably .223 or .308. .223 is cheaper and i can fill a fridge with it...but .308 goes BANG if u know what i mean
A common cartridge...

I know that is sort of a non-answer. But you want something you can
trade or scrounge for ammo if things get really bad. 5.56 Nato and 7.62
Nato are good options. .30-06, .270 Win.

if you get a .348 umpenthumper ammo will be scarce and expensive.

Our main cartridge for SHTF is the 5.56 NATO we reload to NATO
pressures. If you have a group/family that you are setting up with
you should standardized on a cartridge, weapons too if possible but
at least a cartridge.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #30

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
I've been through hurricanes. But we're used to em. Just get a gun the cops don't know about do they can't confiscate them.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...