hand gun, or hunting rifle. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > hand gun, or hunting rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp View Post
In the real world of long survival? Armies don't do 'long survival'; their weapons are disposible because there's a logistics battalion somewhere who'll replace it at need.

Unwise to pick a SHTF weapon based soley on what you may know about military use.

Done right, a homestead will keep us from being one of the millions of rovers. If that's the case, I want a defensive weapon as well as a hunting weapon. The answer to the OP is, get both. Both are the right tool for the right job.
A reliable rifle first, perferably a semi, but we all have budget constraints.
Then a reliable handgun.

Rem 700 is a reliable rifle, I have one also in 7mm Rem Mag.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #12

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

If your only choice in a SHTF scenario is a rifle or pistol, get the pistol.
Your probably going to be more worried about break ins, car jacking, kidnap attempts, home invasion, muggings, etc. you want something readily accessible, easily concealable, that can get a lot of lead down range quick.

Don't delude yourself with these 'Walden Pond' type fantasies, of trekking out in the bush, surviving on your wits and rifle alone.
Look to any historical collapse throughout human history. You'll find people try to retain a semblance of society, but crime will go up a lot.

If given the choice between only 2, get the Glock, then learn how to make traps for game.

FWIW, around my parts, the woods are so thick that deer are taken at close range. I took my deer at about 15 yards with an 06. If it were survival and I only had a pistol, I'd attempt the shot, wait 30 minutes and track the blood trail.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 11-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #13

Edit to add, if your main use is target shooting, pistol ammo is boat loads cheaper than 308 ammo.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #14

Just ask yourself. S has hit the fan! You live in a city or a rural area. City people are breaking into homes, and moving further into the suburbs, looking for food, drugs, valuables, etc...

2 am, you hear a crash downstairs. Sounds like more than one person, but you don't know how many... 2? 3? 4?.... You hear footsteps coming up the stairs...

You want a bolt action rifle?... Or a reliable mag fed pistol with 15 rounds?

dmp Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
If your only choice in a SHTF scenario is a rifle or pistol, get the pistol.
Your probably going to be more worried about break ins, car jacking, kidnap attempts, home invasion, muggings, etc. you want something readily accessible, easily concealable, that can get a lot of lead down range quick.

Don't delude yourself with these 'Walden Pond' type fantasies, of trekking out in the bush, surviving on your wits and rifle alone.
Look to any historical collapse throughout human history. You'll find people try to retain a semblance of society, but crime will go up a lot.

If given the choice between only 2, get the Glock, then learn how to make traps for game.

FWIW, around my parts, the woods are so thick that deer are taken at close range. I took my deer at about 15 yards with an 06. If it were survival and I only had a pistol, I'd attempt the shot, wait 30 minutes and track the blood trail.
Quote:
Edit to add, if your main use is target shooting, pistol ammo is boat loads cheaper than 308 ammo.
Quote:
Just ask yourself. S has hit the fan! You live in a city or a rural area. City people are breaking into homes, and moving further into the suburbs, looking for food, drugs, valuables, etc...

2 am, you hear a crash downstairs. Sounds like more than one person, but you don't know how many... 2? 3? 4?.... You hear footsteps coming up the stairs...

You want a bolt action rifle?... Or a reliable mag fed pistol with 15 rounds?
First, if the SHTF, what are you doing sleeping alone in your house with
no security? You will need to band together with a group, preferably friends or family. Set up rotating guards for 24/7 security, if they are already in your house, you have lost.

If you are sub/urban a carbine is your best choice, not a hand gun not a
shot gun. A rifle. Perferably semi-automatic. If rural, as I am, full length barrel and engage your enemy at the greatest possible range.

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #16

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I don't know which military conflict the poster was in. Maybe the world has changed but having a arms repair unit in every Fox hole is new to me.
During the World Wars the wild game was gone very fast. The large urban Zoos were over ran and everything there was killed and eaten. We are going to have a Homestead and live just like the folks in a story book. There will be no "Little House on the Prairie".

Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade

First, if the SHTF, what are you doing sleeping alone in your house with
no security? You will need to band together with a group, preferably friends or family. Set up rotating guards for 24/7 security, if they are already in your house, you have lost.

If you are sub/urban a carbine is your best choice, not a hand gun not a
shot gun. A rifle. Perferably semi-automatic. If rural, as I am, full length barrel and engage your enemy at the greatest possible range.
The op was asking about either a glock, or a Remington 700.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Im in the same situation. Preferably if someone broke into MY house id use my shotgun...i live in ny so pistol permits are complicated...i dont NEED one so having one ahead of time is unlikely. Idc what anyone says shotguns are my personal preference for close encounters.

Imyself am looking to get a bolt action rifle. Probably in .308. I live in a suburban area but if shtf theres a 90% chance im buggin out to inlaws or my relatives in the "woods". A shotgun willget me where i have to go. But for sustenance living and defending the homestead at long range...even close if thats all i have...thats what im getting.

In world wars...game was gone in the areas if MAJOR battles. I doubt a war here would destroy the entire population of animals to eat. Unfortunately ny is probably a likely target (cuz theres so many laws we cant legally defend ourselves ) but i agree with what the majority are saying about to bolt. Easy to clean. Very low maintenance. Always goes bang.

Besides...idkmuch about pistols...but word on the streets are glocks suck lol.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
I'm on the fence, should I get. A Glock 19 Gen 4, or a Remington 700 in .308 with a high power scope. ... Both are would be aimed for an shtf scenario, as well.
Quote:
The op was asking about either a glock, or a Remington 700.
He posted this in the Survival forum and mentioned prepping for SHTF.

His first choice should be a semi-automatic rifle, I do not know what
Caldwell is like. If he cannot afford a semi then the Rem 700 is the next
best choice. Carbines are designed for confined space combat, that might
be a better choice for him, I cannot surmise from what he has posted.
Tertiary choices would be a handgun or shotgun.

Local conditions, laws and budget constraints always have to be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
Im in the same situation. Preferably if someone broke into MY house id use my shotgun...i live in ny so pistol permits are complicated...i dont NEED one so having one ahead of time is unlikely. Idc what anyone says shotguns are my personal preference for close encounters.
Considering your legal restrictions, a shotgun sounds like it might be a good
choice, if you plan on using indoors get one with as short and overall length
as you can legally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
Besides...idkmuch about pistols...but word on the streets are glocks suck lol.
First I am a 1911 fan, not so much with the Glocks, but I would not say
they suck. I have alot of friends who shoot them, many are cops. They are
reliable and accurate. They should be in consideration if you do not have
a current preference. My only comment on pistols is that it should be
chambered in .40 caliber or larger with the only reasonable exception being
.357 Magnum.

For the smart alecks out there; Yes I know there are other cartridges that
are less than .40 caliber that are out there and more powerful than a .40 S&W,
.45ACP and .357 Magnum but they are not very common chamberings.

Last edited by Shade; 11-29-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #20

Oh. It's a SHTF scenario. Never mind OP get a tank instead. Or maybe a nuclear submarine.