Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   hand gun, or hunting rifle. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/hand-gun-hunting-rifle-77327/)

WhaleNoises 11-28-2012 11:17 PM

I'm on the fence, should I get. A Glock 19 Gen 4, or a Remington 700 in .308 with a high power scope. They both will be for target shooting mainly Withe secondary uses. The Glock for conceal and carry, and the Remington is for hunting. Both are would be aimed for an shtf scenario, as well.

Donn 11-28-2012 11:56 PM

Remington. If the SHTF, nobody's gonna care about concealed carry and a long gun's always better than a short one.

racer_x 11-29-2012 12:07 AM

I say a 5 inch 1911 lol

hiwall 11-29-2012 12:37 AM

The rifle would be more practical.
The rifle would shoot everything from morning doves to moose.
The pistol only shoots close up people.

Blueguns 11-29-2012 12:41 AM

The rifle is the way to go. It's going to be more useful in a SHTF scenario. Also .308 is a good plentiful caliber, and will give the ability to hunt many species of animals. It can also protect you very well, of that situation occurs in a SHTF. And for the next long while where there is no SHTF going on, you'll be able have a blast deer hunting.

DrumJunkie 11-29-2012 12:44 AM

For targets between those two the rifle hands down. The 9mm would be cheaper on ammo but the range on the Rem will surely make up for that.

paintsplat 11-29-2012 05:25 AM

The Rem no question, abundant ammo, range close to far.

nitestalker 11-29-2012 06:27 AM

In the real world of very long survival modern sporting arms will be junk very fast. Modern armies do not carry Remington deer rifles. The whole concept of a modern Infantry rifle is battle field use. Ammo, food, and water will dry up fast. Millions of people will be moving constantly looking for heat, medicine, food and water. How will you carry food and water extra cloths and a 20 year supply of ammo? If this sort of thing ever happened a small light sturdy .22 rim fire rifle would be the most useful. ;)

WhaleNoises 11-29-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1031795)
In the real world of very long survival modern sporting arms will be junk very fast. Modern armies do not carry Remington deer rifles. The whole concept of a modern Infantry rifle is battle field use. Ammo, food, and water will dry up fast. Millions of people will be moving constantly looking for heat, medicine, food and water. How will you carry food and water extra cloths and a 20 year supply of ammo? If this sort of thing ever happened a small light sturdy .22 rim fire rifle would be the most useful. ;)

Already have a 10/22 I'm just adding to the arsenal, I will eventually get both. I just can't decide on witch one first.

dmp 11-29-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1031795)

In the real world of long survival? Armies don't do 'long survival'; their weapons are disposible because there's a logistics battalion somewhere who'll replace it at need.

Unwise to pick a SHTF weapon based soley on what you may know about military use.

Done right, a homestead will keep us from being one of the millions of rovers. If that's the case, I want a defensive weapon as well as a hunting weapon. The answer to the OP is, get both. Both are the right tool for the right job.