Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > H2O question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default H2O question

Hey guys,

I recently inherited a bunch of stuff among which was a case of "Mainstay Emergency Drinking Water" packed in individual 4oz foil packets.

My question is, It's dated 1998 - Any idea on what kind of Shelf life this stuff has, or should I just use it as targets? I suppose I could always try one, But I'm wondering since it's 12 years old already, If it has run it course or if I can keep it around for a few more years.

Thanks
TJB

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8059

The shelf life would depend on what the ingredients are, I believe. I don't think I'd trust it since it is 12 years old and obviously has no expiration date on it. If you are looking to have some water purification supplies, I'd start with something new, in it's original package with directions for use and an expiration date. I sure wouldn't want to scoop out some river water and give this item a try only to discover it's too old and doesn't work.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 12-19-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #3

Thanks Winds,

I believe it's just water sealed in 4 oz Foil Packets. I'll probably use it as Targets, I have tons of Survival supplies including a few water purifiers, But I thought if it was a chance it'd still be Good..Well, Why not keep it.

Thanks Again
TJB

Old 12-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I just did a search and the water retorts I found had a five year shelf life. Personally, I'd try a few and check the quality. Canned goods last a whole lot longer than the Best Used By date, water may be the same.

Canned goods nutrients and texture can be lost over time, but unless they've been exposed to air, they're edible and will keep you going. I wonder if it's the same for water. Obviously not texture, but the growth of algae or whatever. As far as I know, retort water is produced through some type of distillation process.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Water is extremely stable. If it was stored properly with no contaminants, it should be fine indefinitely. Keep those emergency packets as they are. If you're concerned, pour them through a filter before drinking.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #6

Thanks Guys,

What you both say makes sense, these came from a buddy of mine who passed away, He was prepared to survive WW3 - I know he was big on rotating his stuff around, But He had been sick for awhile, So I guess these didn't see the light of day. He did store everything under optimal conditions though, So maybe I'll break open a few and try them out.
Thanks Again.

TJB