Guns Obsolete In Coming Wars - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Guns Obsolete In Coming Wars

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

History has shown that a force that is determined in their cause can take on forces much larger and better supplied. The founding of the United States of America is PROOF of this.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #22
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776-1976 View Post
History has shown that a force that is determined in their cause can take on forces much larger and better supplied. The founding of the United States of America is PROOF of this.
That, and the Continental army and militias fought differently than the British: there was no lining up and taking shots at one another. Instead, when we could, we employed camouflage and guerrilla tactics and the British were too slow to adapt.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declaration Day View Post
Saintrambone, thank you for your philosophic thread, but you're wrong.

Technology can help to efficiently eliminate specific targets, but it cannot overcome guerrilla warfare.

Feel free to disagree, but tell me then, why a bunch of rag-tag, dirt poor, drugged up third world revolutionaries have held back the best-equipped, best funded, most highly trained military in the world for four years.
North America, colonial war, 1773 to 1778. British super power beaten by farmers and laborers with squirrel rifles and farm implements.

Viet Nam, 1955 to 1975. French and US beaten by people using bows and arrows/pungie sticks.

Afghanistan 1979 to 1989. USSR beaten by people using home built muzzle loading rifles.

I can list half a dozen more since the 50's but most of you won't have hear of them...
(And most of you don't even remember the first time we were in Afghanistan!)

Last edited by AR Hammer; 05-12-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I believe that there is some truth to the view that if the government ever decides to disarm it's citizens, the citizens will probably lose this time around. Only for the simple fact that it is impossible to unite the majority for a common cause today. Look at the mess we have due to "elected" officials treating the power and responsibility of their office as their own, and their lobbyists' private playground. I don't know anyone that has actually voted for higher taxes, repressive government, or ridiculous gun laws. Yet, because of complacency and indifference, and now, youthful ignorance, we have a big, and in my opinion, unsolveable problem. Hell, not even half of the "citizens" in this counrty vote! Does anybody here actually think that if and when the SHTF you will be able to get all your friends and neighbors together to fight the local police, national guard, and various military branches which will be called into action against the citizenry? Look what happened during Katrina! They actually went door-to-door and confiscated the guns of the law abiding, thereby leaving them defenseless against the scum roving the streets! This is NOT a government by and for the people anymore, and they have become much stronger and better armed than the people. They are united, whereas we will be standing alone to protect our families and own self-interests. And because we are not united, I fear we will not only be fighting the forces that be, but we will be fighting eachother as well. It's a scary scenario. The citizenry of Afghanistan during the Russian invasion was united against a common enemy - that will NOT be the case in this country!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-12-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:27 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=bkt;699]Respectfully, that's not correct. We won the revolutionary war but it was never certain that we would. Many events took place due to dumb luck that helped our side enoormously.QUOTE]

i disagree with your statement that "dumb luck" helped us win the revolutionary war. it had more to do with the citizens already living here knew the area. they were hunting on it, searching for areas to grow crops. they knew the area, the british troops coming over knew where they lived, nothing of the surrounding area. knowledge of the area is the reason that any invading force in any situation is at a disadvantage to the citizens of the invaded area. the invaded know the area, and know where to go to best defend themselves, the invading might not have the best knowledge of the area to combat the knowledge of the invaded in their home turf.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #26
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolshark13 View Post
i disagree with your statement that "dumb luck" helped us win the revolutionary war. it had more to do with the citizens already living here knew the area. they were hunting on it, searching for areas to grow crops. they knew the area, the british troops coming over knew where they lived, nothing of the surrounding area. knowledge of the area is the reason that any invading force in any situation is at a disadvantage to the citizens of the invaded area. the invaded know the area, and know where to go to best defend themselves, the invading might not have the best knowledge of the area to combat the knowledge of the invaded in their home turf.
Fair enough. Washington himself referred to it as "divine providence" rather than "dumb luck".

But when you consider how the Continental Army could have gotten crushed between Burgoyne in the north and Howe in the south had communications to England not taken so long -- and been ignored by the English for weeks after their arrival -- the victory would probably not have been ours had these delays and miscommunications not taken place.

Incidentally, two outstanding books I recommend are 1776 by David McCullough and His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph Ellis. Both give insights into Washington and what he and his men went through.

Last edited by bkt; 05-15-2008 at 10:17 AM.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #27

You're elevator does not go to the top floor. Get a life!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #28
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
You're elevator does not go to the top floor. Get a life!
I'm not sure to whom your comment was directed, but if you're going to sling an insult at least take the time to supplement it with facts.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #29

Ladies and gentleman; shall we all take a not so tech savy deep breath?

Better.

What ever happened to those who would say, "they can have my gun when they pry my cold dead fingers from around it"?

We live in interesting times indeed.

We need to stand for something in this nation. Freedom of speach and expression would be a good place to start. I would also ask... equal rights for who? ALL This is not the way that things are officially handled in today's America. I am all for equity and fairness for all, but the only thing that government has done is to sell out a nation and turn on it's own. If you have not noticed this yet; just look around. You will not have a hard time seeing it, (in anything government).

Ok, I'm off the soap box now.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #30

Default Right On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declaration Day View Post
Saintrambone, thank you for your philosophic thread, but you're wrong.

Technology can help to efficiently eliminate specific targets, but it cannot overcome guerrilla warfare.

Feel free to disagree, but tell me then, why a bunch of rag-tag, dirt poor, drugged up third world revolutionaries have held back the best-equipped, best funded, most highly trained military in the world for four years.
Gorilla warfare will always win. The dude behind the door is only a helpless old dude just trying to survive, UNTIL YOU ARE NOT LOOKING.

Closed Thread