Guns as a hedge against SHTF - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Guns as a hedge against SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If you are really trying to get guns for a SHTF scenario, then you are going to want the least amount of firearms as possible, and combine as many calibers as possible. An AR in .308 even with a 16 inch barrel is accurate as hell, and should be able to get you COM shots from ~300 yards out, but it is also small and light enough to use for anything 100 yards out. Close quarters out to 100 yards? Get yourself a CX4, which is light and versatile enough to even handle indoors, but accurate enough up to ~100 yards. It's also a pistol caliber carbine, so you can get it in 9mm, .40, and .45.....and ALSO get your pistol in the same caliber. You have just covered long range, medium range, short range, and a sidearm with 3 guns, 2 calibers, and ~$2,500 total.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #22

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Yeah. actually scratchammo, that sounds good. I would probably try to pick up a nice used one, and an extra 100 isn't going to break the bank. I still might go for the RH version, we'll see. Thanks
No problem. I've shot righties & it's pretty easy when you have a bipod, just cycle the bolt with your non firing hand & you have a slight advantage over a right handed shooter.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjf915 View Post
If you are really trying to get guns for a SHTF scenario, then you are going to want the least amount of firearms as possible, and combine as many calibers as possible. An AR in .308 even with a 16 inch barrel is accurate as hell, and should be able to get you COM shots from ~300 yards out, but it is also small and light enough to use for anything 100 yards out. Close quarters out to 100 yards? Get yourself a CX4, which is light and versatile enough to even handle indoors, but accurate enough up to ~100 yards. It's also a pistol caliber carbine, so you can get it in 9mm, .40, and .45.....and ALSO get your pistol in the same caliber. You have just covered long range, medium range, short range, and a sidearm with 3 guns, 2 calibers, and ~$2,500 total.
I've tried to deliver the same message several times but I don't think he is interested or understanding it. But MAYBE, your more direct example will help drive it more.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For all around survival scenarios - three fundamental things :

High powered rifle (30-06, 30-30, or 308 / hunting and long range self defense)

22LR caliber rifle (hunting and gathering small game)

12ga shotgun (self defense and hunting)

...as an added option, a 45ACP caliber pistol is suggested.

It's your decision on brands and actions.

If you are only concerned with SHTF, worse cases defensive needs, then see VJF915's comments.

Regards,

Swampbilly

Last edited by Swampbilly; 02-21-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #25

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Well, I went with the 410 because I don't need the distance in the house, and from what I have heard/read it's a very potent round at extremely short ranges. Also, it should help to keep over penetration of the house down to a min. As an added bonus, it's a VERY small gun, good in tight spaces, and low recoil, (I hear, haven't shot it yet.) This could only help with the Wife thing, she could use it, too.

I'll look into the combine 1 & 4 thing. And 308. Don't know much about that caliber.....Any suggestions on a gun to fit the bill?

Also, BTW, I'm trying to keep to common stuff, ammo & guns, so parts & ammo availability aren't a problem.
If you are going to stay with the .410, get out and shoot it. Make sure it functions properly so it's ready when needed.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I've tried to deliver the same message several times but I don't think he is interested or understanding it. But MAYBE, your more direct example will help drive it more.
I didn't have the opportunity to read the entire thread, just skimmed through it. It's pretty much common sense, if he is really trying to prepare for a situation where he can just "get up and go", then having the least to carry, with the most interchangeable parts (ammo, and possibly mags between the carbine and pistol) will make things simple. I can also tell you one thing......50BMG is overkill. SHTF scenario, you want to engage the least amount of people as possible......even the .308 in a 16" barrel can reach MUCH farther than I would ever want to engage someone at, but at least all your bases are covered.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #27

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Hmmmm, that 50 BMG thing won't go away, huh? YesYes, I know, overkill. Originaly I hadn't thought about picking up your **** and heading out. Too much, agreed.

Maybe, Poink, I just don't agree with the multiple guns shooting the same ammo thing. 45ACP is going downrange from 1 is enough, isn't 2 guns redundant? (Unless there is another person or a group involved, whole different story. For now I'm assuming the wife won't be shooting.) That's MY opinion.

So I have narrowed it down to 3 guns;

1. Pistol

2. 410 Pump shotgun

3. Bolt action chambered in very easily accessible & flexible cartrige. .

ok maybe 4. A semi auto carbine of some sorts. Chambered in I-don't-know-what. If I end up choosing a pistol round, Poink, yes it will be the same as the pistol.

Note my wife will be there to carry, too. I don't think that's too much. It's still a work in progress.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My list of SHTF firearms is as practical and simple as I can make it. Unfortunately, none of them share calibers. However, they pretty much cover the eventualities. (I hope. )

1. .30-06 Bolt action

2. Mini 14 .223/5.56x45

3. Mossberg 500 12ga.

4. 1911 .45ACP
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 02-21-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3569 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

CLR,

Certainly not knocking the idea of the 410 for home protection. But if the SHTF that gauge will be a lot harder to come by over the 12 GA. and followed by the 20 GA... I am also considering a barter and trade attitude to go along with this issue. I pray it will never come to that! For the other members what they want to remember is to get a weapon in a caliber that is very! very! common. 357 Mag. because you can also shoot 38s in them, 9mm-45 ACP-308-5.56 NATO-30-06-22 Cal. 12 GA. Or be sure you have enough ammunition put back for the other calibers you have. Because when you run out on them if you do not load, you will be out of business! I now have got dies for almost all calibers and have components put back. Just something to think about. A 410 is an excellent little shotgun! Stock up on ammunition! And you can also always barter and trade ammunition as well as weapons in the SHTF scenario. 5.56,22cal, 12GA, 9mm will be the same as $$$ or Gold!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good point about ammunition Sniper. Col. Jeff Cooper called ammunition "Ballistic Wampum".
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams