Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Guns as a hedge against SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I see where you're going with the .410 but I'd seriously reconsider for the 12 gauge pump action, it's the most versatile firearm in North America IMO. If recoil was your deciding factor the reduced recoil loads are a Godsend. Even during tue ammo drought 12 gauge ammo was everywhere, .410 not so much.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #12

Liked 854 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Poink88, is the 50BMG not a very popular cartridge worldwide? Seems I've seen that ammo available as surplus, and now available commercially. Admittedly, this one is more of a dream than anything.

Savage axis & 30-06 I'll look into also......

Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

First question is how much will a 50BMG rifle cost you? How much is each ammo? When will you need/use it? Can you handle it properly? Do you have a place/range to practice with it? How much will a descent scope for you to utilize its potential going to cost you?

If you foresee shooting helicopters, light armored vehicle or making more than 1,000 yard shots...maybe you need one. It is cool but not practical IMHO.

The reason I chose .308 over 30-06 is because it is short action. They are almost identical performance wise but 30-06 has slight edge reach wise. If you want to consolidate ammo for your hunting rifle and consider a semi-auto, I believe .308 is the better choice.

It all boils down to your budget, intended use and general plan.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #14

about $4K, about 2-3 bucks a shot, SHTF, yes, with practice, no, a lot.

Quote:
Admittedly, this one is more of a dream than anything.
Quote:
4. MUCH larger caliber bolt action, I'm thinking 50 BMG this sounds like it will fill ANY sniper roll, although possibly overkill for NH terrain. This will be the last one filled, if ever, cause of the cost.
Quote:
If you foresee shooting helicopters, light armored vehicle or making more than 1,000 yard shots...maybe you need one. It is cool but not practical IMHO.
When SHTF, you never know what you may need....

Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #15

And so now, I'm questioning #3. I decided that it should be a bolt gun. Preferably left handed, (but not absolutely critical), and in the $3- 500 range, used is OK. Also desirable to me is a detachable box mag. Seems like there are not many available......The brand, model and caliber, I'm not so sure on.... There seems to be a lot of support for the 308. But it seems a little pricey, and the 30-06 even more so. No support for the 223?

I was at Kittery Trading Post yesterday in Maine, and they have a mind-boggling ammount of rifles new & used in their racks. I came away even more unsure than when I went in.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by clr8ter; 02-20-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
And so now, I'm questioning #3. I decided that it should be a bolt gun. Preferably left handed, (but not absolutely critical), and in the $3- 500 range, used is OK. The brand, model and caliber, I'm not so sure on.... The thing with the ammo is appropriateness of the round, common availability, and reasonably priced, so I can stock up. Seems .223 meets the last 2, but I don't know about the 1st.

Any suggestions?
.223 will kill deer sized game & larger if you make a headshot. As a fellow southpaw I know how discriminatory some manufacturers are. I'd stick with a Savage, you're not going to find a decent lefty bolt for $300. As for .50 BMG, unless you're considering penetrating heavy armor I would spend that $5000 elsewhere. The .30-06 is the top choice round as far as versatility goes. It's a little more pricey than .223 but not too bad.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2196 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Speaking of the weapons we need, I am OK! If SHTF and if they mess with my family or friends who might want to come and stay here with the family in the mountains for protection. They might have a serious problem. As they say this would be a time for safety in numbers and our old military and LE mind set. As the old saying goes! They may run but they can't hide!
And if they run they will only die tired! Also you all are missing out on one issue speaking of protecting your family and your home should SHTF! It is called a Dakota Alarm "MUR" System. It is "Not" expensive and you can put out 4 senors per each receiver that can transmit up to 2+ miles. Each receiver has the capacity to set out 4 Transmitter Units which each will advise you of the Zone that is activated. Zone 1-2-3-4 per unit. I also take one on the road with me with a portable WT type receiver that I keep in my hotel room at night in case someone is stupid enough to break in to my vehicle and trailer. Oh! did I mention the AR Pistol and 40 Cal Glock in my Hotel Room! Keep the AR in what looks like a business brief case. Anyway all that said, the MUR is a great unit. I have one on my lane which is 1/2 mile long and I know the minute someone enters the lane. In the SHTF scenario we might refer to it as an "Early Warning System!
Something worth looking at.

Also in a state I hunt in on our lease the MUR has another neat application!
That is if it is legal to do in your state! It is in the state we hunt!
We have a gut pile 150 yards from our camp. I put a T-Pole in the ground about 25 yards from the gut pile. You guessed it! I mount a MUR Sensor on the pole. And have my portable receiver. As we are sitting around the camp fire and the MUR gives us the Zone Alarm, we grab our rifles and NV or light and pop a Coyote or Wild Pig! How about that for multi purpose!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #18

Scratchammo, so, a Savage in 30-06, then? Any preference on model#? Maybe a LH & RH, and the price will decide. I have a Ruger 77/22 RH, so I could practice & get good with it if need be....and yeah, the 50 BMG is still mostly dreaming, I don't really have that much $.

And the MUR system sounds good, any link to it? Thanks

Old 02-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Scratchammo, so, a Savage in 30-06, then? Any preference on model#? Maybe a LH & RH, and the price will decide. I have a Ruger 77/22 RH, so I could practice & get good with it if need be....and yeah, the 50 BMG is still mostly dreaming, I don't really have that much $.

And the MUR system sounds good, any link to it? Thanks
This rifle is a little out of your price range but will pay for itself: 110GLXP3 30-06 LH W/SCP 17589 [17589] - $599.99 : Hammerback Guns, Safes & Accessories
You'll probably find it cheaper on another site but this is the first I came across.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #20

Yeah. actually scratchammo, that sounds good. I would probably try to pick up a nice used one, and an extra 100 isn't going to break the bank. I still might go for the RH version, we'll see. Thanks