Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > grasshoppers as a food source

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default grasshoppers as a food source

My family was watching Man vs Wild the other day and I saw Bear Grylls chow down on a grasshopper. Now I have heard before that they are edible, but I have a few questions about them.

So I know you can gut them by twisting their heads and then pulling the guts out. I also know that you should break off half of the far back legs.
I want to know how can you cook them. Can you make like a grasshopper kabob and set it above the flame of a fire? If so what wood should you use?
I also heard from some where that it takes 30 grasshoppers to make a meal. Is this true?
Any idea how many calories are in a grasshopper?
Are there poisonous grasshoppers?
I heard that they taste like grass. Any suggestions on seasonings?

I've also been thinking about a way to catch them. Could you take a branch and your shirt and construct a make-shift bug net thingy?

Lastly... is there anything that I left out?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6945 Times on 4177 Posts
Likes Given: 8349

I don't know the answers to any of your questions but I did find this interesting website as I was looking around for answers for you. I just scanned this briefly but it looks like there is a lot of information for survival skills here. Lots of interesting links included off to the right of the first page.

Survival Foods In The Wilderness | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

A little something something to look at:

Recipes:
Grasshopper Recipes

Basic How-To:
How to Eat Grasshoppers for Survival | eHow.com

It may come as news to you, or maybe not, that there are actually some restaurants that now specialize in serving insects, including grasshoppers. Some theorize that in the not too distant future, insects may become a basic food item as other, less sustainable food sources begin to disappear as a result of continually climbing demand for food. Interesting idea sense insects tend to taste like what they eat. Note that the restaurants mentioned earlier feed their insects certain fruits or veggies depending on their intended use in a dish (ie. orange flavored grasshoppers, apple, etc etc).

If your really interested you could start off with something a little more 'civilized'. Spencer's, a popular kids clothing store in many malls, actually sells chocolate coated insects. Typically a small package contains both grasshoppers or crickets and meal worms.

I wont say they taste great, but its not impossible to see it as a possible food source in a survival situation.

Hope this helps!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8594 Times on 3727 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

My best recipe? Use shirt, TWO sticks, herd grasshoppers along, bring sticks together, trapping grasshoppers (thank you for teaching me that, Grandma)

Hold hopper between thumb and forefinger. Insert #6 fishook right behind rear legs. Use to catch bass, perch, bream, trout, etc. Filet fish, broil or roll in cornmeal, fry. Tastes better than hopper, more calories, takes less to make a meal. Not available in chocolate coated.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
A little something something to look at:

Recipes:
Grasshopper Recipes

Basic How-To:
How to Eat Grasshoppers for Survival | eHow.com

It may come as news to you, or maybe not, that there are actually some restaurants that now specialize in serving insects, including grasshoppers. Some theorize that in the not too distant future, insects may become a basic food item as other, less sustainable food sources begin to disappear as a result of continually climbing demand for food. Interesting idea sense insects tend to taste like what they eat. Note that the restaurants mentioned earlier feed their insects certain fruits or veggies depending on their intended use in a dish (ie. orange flavored grasshoppers, apple, etc etc).

If your really interested you could start off with something a little more 'civilized'. Spencer's, a popular kids clothing store in many malls, actually sells chocolate coated insects. Typically a small package contains both grasshoppers or crickets and meal worms.

I wont say they taste great, but its not impossible to see it as a possible food source in a survival situation.

Hope this helps!
lol, you are what you eat. I wonder if fat people taste like a big mac.

I've eaten insects before. There's a store that sells them about 2 hours away from here. My favorite was the chocolate covered ants. My least favorite was the scorpion....... nasty......
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
My best recipe? Use shirt, TWO sticks, herd grasshoppers along, bring sticks together, trapping grasshoppers (thank you for teaching me that, Grandma)

Hold hopper between thumb and forefinger. Insert #6 fishook right behind rear legs. Use to catch bass, perch, bream, trout, etc. Filet fish, broil or roll in cornmeal, fry. Tastes better than hopper, more calories, takes less to make a meal. Not available in chocolate coated.
My great grandpa fried his fish in cornmeal.

You are assuming that you have both a stream and the ability to fish. That said, I think I will take take a fish over something that tastes like grass any day.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5454 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

im pretty sure i wouldnt use a grasshopper recipe from bear gryls. he's a stunt man not a survival guru.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
im pretty sure i wouldnt use a grasshopper recipe from bear gryls. he's a stunt man not a survival guru.
His recipe was pull the head off and eat it raw. I'm not into eating anything raw except veggies and fruit.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #8

Liked 300 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I ate some of these in Jinnan China, they were fried, and I thought they were pretty good.

p1000733.jpg

Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Grasshoppers and crickets are 2 of the insects I rather enjoyed eating, compared to most others. Especially when quick fried in a cooking plate with some root tubers or shish-ca-bobbed over an open fire. Good source of protein and usually easy to catch or trap. Cook both till crispy...tastes like crunchy, burnt chicken skin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5454 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
His recipe was pull the head off and eat it raw. I'm not into eating anything raw except veggies and fruit.
eating raw food isnt a good idea if it can be at all avoided. the further you stray from your normal diet the more liekly diarhea sets in which is extemely dehydrating. eating raw insects is also a bad idea considering that other animals like flies birds mammals defacate on vegatation they crawl in and on. eating raw food and raw plants can subject you to dysentary or worse.

always clean your survival food if possible. if you get a little bit of trots because you went berry picking with the kids no biggee some pepto and some time in the bathroom good as new. same thing in a survival mode and your prolly gonna die.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...