A Good SHTF water supply? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > A Good SHTF water supply?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2459 Times on 1595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
I think this will take care of it
That is priceless!

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The one major problem with storage solutions such as those is that they rely on the rain cycle very heavily. Not saying any of them are "bad" ideas but definately not long term solutions regardless of the size of the water storage. Once again the only sure way to guarantee yourself a steady water supply is to have a nearby stream or large natural formation lake as these generally are fed from hundreds of square miles of run off and not from 2 roofs that after a particular amount of time may become damaged and require repair.

I know many people think of wells as solutions but they can have issues aswell, the same as lakes actually. They can become contaminated, a well with an accidentally left unsealed port can attract mice and birds that can fall into the well and then you will have dead animals and all their bacteria in your water source, also if you plan on having a garden to grow food or need water to supply livestock 10000 gallons is not more than a months worth of water during a drought if that.

All city solutions are going to be short term unfortunately unless you just happen to be a suburbanite within walking distance of a nice well flowing creek that stays wet all year round you might consider your in your prepping that will NEED to move at some point.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #33

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have access to 2 , 5500 gal tanks of water at my work. We keep these full and have been dedicated to water only for 22 yrs. We use it for a product we make so it gets rotated weekly with fresh water. We have 8 employees so we could go for a while before its out. Its also hooked to a large sand filter and I have a msr water works filter for final purification. . We keep these valves locked with heavy duty puck locks. Now beyond that I'm screwed because all our flowing water sources are dry this season and most of the ponds are low and stagnant this year. But like I said the filter I have works great. We pack our product in new 250 gal totes so water storage isn't a issue, if needed a a sand filter is very simple to make with a few 5 gal buckets, t shirt material and sand. We do have a couple private property 40 acre lakes with natural springs under them that stay pretty clean and clear

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-19-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #34

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 230

hauling water by hand even a fairly short distance would get old very fast. water is heavy. hauling water could also put you at risk from the bad guys. they would hunt people near water sources just like we do now for animals.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #35

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Use the right tool for the right job.

wheel-caveman.jpg  
Old 07-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #36

Default Just Water Monolithic Just Not a Berkey!

Sorry, tho the Monolitihic may be OK for some things it isn't a water purifying filter. When we say Berkey we mean Berkey Black filters by default vs. their own ceramic filters. Black are a bit more effective tho more fragile. When you compare their effectiveness vs. ceramic the Berkey wins and lasts a really long time. Add the white Flouride and Arsenic filters if you'd like as well...

I think you could take the liquid out of a latrine, pass it thru a Berkey, and drink it. Berkey is simply a better product and tho more expensive up front is an investment in quality and the long-term.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #37

Default Just Water Monolithic Just Not a Berkey!

Sorry, dupe post.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 07-19-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Dupe Post