A Good SHTF water supply? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > A Good SHTF water supply?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
I'm surrounded by several springs. and you can drink it right where it comes out of the ground. In fact they sell the same water that coems out not too far form me.
I'm still building a filtration system though just to have another base covered.
I'd kill to have a spring on my property, but I'll just have to settle for a well.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #22

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I have a creek running through my backyard, convenient as heck if you need water. I live in a valley so all the rainwater comes my way... not so good when we get a downpour... hasn't been up in the yard since at least '97 so I'm not too worried about it. A good rain and it'll be 6-8 feet deep.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #23

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I think u need to compare the products...

Old 07-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #24

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

how about a pond i got one on the farm very relable source boil the water to drink cook i also water my garden and all livestock from the pond also then you have a food source as well as drinking, frogs fish dont have to feed them

Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #25

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I got a big water tank, 250 gallon i think. It has a cage around it and i got the downspout from the barn feeding into it. Right now i use it to water the garden during water shortages but it could be a source of shtf drinking water. Of course id boil it before drinking just to make sure.

Ive also got the mighty ohio river just over the hill about a mile.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #26

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a couple comments about this. One is, for those who have creeks or streams on their property, have you thought of what measures to take in case the people upstream from you decide to dam it off and collect more for themselves? Since you are relying on a moving stream, what if it stops moving?

The other thing is about the Berkey. I looked into those too, and found the ceramic filters that HIWALL suggested are as good, in fact, better than Berkeys not because of the filtering capacity but because of the more universal mounting of them. You can make your own Big Berkey by drilling two holes in two food grade buckets and placing one or several of these filters in between.

However, buying them from the source is cheaper than Cheaper than Dirt.

I'll be adding several of those to my stockpiles very soon.

12FRETTER

Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #27

I have 10 Plastic 50 Gallon Drums in my Garage and my Cousin also has 10, we found about 20x40 Lb Unopened bags of light Beige Playground Sand, and then purchased Charcoal from our local hardware store thar was going outta Biz, got about 20 Bags for $2 a piece and a bunch of PVC Tubing ..6 Months Ago we Bought 2 Army 6 Gallon Potato pots at the Flea market..

Plan to set up rain buckets w a few of those plastic drums as we will Layer Sand and Charcoal at 6 inches a layer (as We have em set up as 2 Have Ice pick holes in Bottom of em, and 2 More will actually be used from a local Pond, Its Rough but we already had a trial run and w my Layering system... NEXT, we set up a Pot on our field Stove Box, Stoked the Flame pit and brought to a rapid rolling.. allowed to Cool, Sealed, Drank next morning,It tasted better then any Store Bought Spring Water.

I remember reading an old Feild Manuel while stuck in my old MP Stations Crapper, nothing like a Constructive dump while reading j the Boiling of the Water .. No Disentary and my Cousin suddenly keeps his mouth shut up when he i start to when we start discussing sanitation, Making Potable Water and other Field expedient methods I will drop on him to make sure he and all our boys are trained in Basic Field Sanitation, Water Purifying, Lean too construction...

Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #28

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

"for those who have creeks or streams on their property, have you thought of what measures to take in case the people upstream from you decide to dam it off and collect more for themselves?"

Also if those upstream use the stream for a latrine? Or run cattle( cows use everything for a latrine).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #29

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I think this will take care of it

shtf-water.jpg  

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #30

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
I have a couple comments about this. One is, for those who have creeks or streams on their property, have you thought of what measures to take in case the people upstream from you decide to dam it off and collect more for themselves? Since you are relying on a moving stream, what if it stops moving?

The other thing is about the Berkey. I looked into those too, and found the ceramic filters that HIWALL suggested are as good, in fact, better than Berkeys not because of the filtering capacity but because of the more universal mounting of them. You can make your own Big Berkey by drilling two holes in two food grade buckets and placing one or several of these filters in between.

However, buying them from the source is cheaper than Cheaper than Dirt.

I'll be adding several of those to my stockpiles very soon.
Thanks for that link