A Good SHTF water supply?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > A Good SHTF water supply?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Default A Good SHTF water supply?

Does anyone have good ideas on what to do for a SHTF water supply? Has anyone built cisterns, rain water collection systems or drilled a well, even if hooked to public water? If rain water, how do you filter for drinking? And this discussion is on water SUPPLIES, not just stores you have saved (bottled, bags, barrels, etc.) as I would like to get ideas on how someone would guarantee their supply long term. Rain catching seems to be the cheapest, as it can be done with food-grade 55gal drums and some PVC pipe. However, a well would be ideal but costly. Are there any other ideas for those that don't have a stream or river running nearby?

Water requirements are always assumed to be eight 8oz. glasses a day. However, this assumes a 150lb adult exercising only 20 minutes a day. During SHTF or EOTWAWKI, Gathering food, hunting, gathering firewood, farming, preparing raw food and all the other work will cause all of us to work hard more than 20 minutes a day. Also, the American adults I know fall nowhere near 150lbs average weight, so this water requirement is exactly useless. Therefore, I found an online water calculator here. When I plugged in my stats, I found out I need FOURTEEN 8oz glasses of water a day if I only work hard 20 minutes a day. That's 12.25 gals for a two week period, or 61.25 gals for a two month period. This is a LOT of water!

The other thought that makes a well more desirable would be the ability to sell/barter water to others. If you have a well, you can trade fresh, clean water for food, ammunition, clothes, whatever. Since a well is stationary, holding the property and defending it would be a top priority. I found this site which could make it cheaper if you wish to provide the labor, but would have to be done while public water is available or you have a portable pump.

Are there any other thoughts out there?

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Better be drilling a well and getting a hand pump on it. If things go to pot, then you cannot trust water coming from a pipe.

Fellow here put in a cistern last year. Ten thousand gallons. He collects water off of two large roofs, and has it fixed so that in case of a fire that they can use it for initial knockdown while they wait on the big red truck to get there. It supplies soft water to his house, and he has no plumbing problems.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
Better be drilling a well and getting a hand pump on it. If things go to pot, then you cannot trust water coming from a pipe.

Fellow here put in a cistern last year. Ten thousand gallons. He collects water off of two large roofs, and has it fixed so that in case of a fire that they can use it for initial knockdown while they wait on the big red truck to get there. It supplies soft water to his house, and he has no plumbing problems.
Wow, what a great setup! Any idea what he spent on it, just in general?

A hand pump is the best, but you can also get pumps with their own solar panel to power only the pump. great for areas without grid power or too far away to hook up to the house.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 07-07-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Stream close enough nearby. A barrel is a cistern. Off of the roof. Pre-prefilter through nylon mesh and screen. Prefilter through coffee filters. Purify through Berkey filter. 1 lb. of Shock disinfects 9-10,000 gallons of water, costs a few dollars, and now's the height of the pool season. Store and rotate some water for dry times in big bottles (gallon jugs and 2-liter soda bottles).

Drink up.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 07-07-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #5

He told me about it last week and I didnt ask what it cost, I figured it was more than I could afford. Ten thousand gallons is more than a semi load. That's a big hole, big container,,,he has it going into a good filter system, and has a pump that he can run off of the small tractor PTO in case he has to cut the electricity. I would imagine that it cost a couple bucks a gallon to put that in.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 07-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8687 Times on 3760 Posts
Likes Given: 1335

We have a couple of wells- with a bucket and chain backup. If you search, we have had a couple of discussions on water.

Your water needs will include not only drinking, but cooking, washing, sanitation.

Part of our gear that we have used a few times is a LARGE rigid kiddy pool. When not needed, it hangs flat against the garage ceiling on a couple of hooks. Tucked under a downspout. it holds about 500 gallons of rainwater for flushing.

For consumption, you CAN filter (look for the term Big Berkey in the threads) and you can use chlorine bleach. If we had concerns about our wells, OR if we had to leave the homestead, I have a Katadyn backpacker's filter and pump. About the size of a can of tomato soup.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have a well. I can power it with my generator. For long term, though I need to get a hand pump to drop in the casing so I wouldn't have to rely on gasoline and the noise a gennie makes. There is a spring less than 3/4 mile away from me that hasn't stopped running to my knowledge. A friend and I are planning on using that as our plan B. It is preferable to creek water that is a lot closer, but may have fertilizer or worse in it from run-off.
I have a large stock of coffee filters to prefilter sediment from collected water from either the spring or my metal roof on the house. Planning on using large plastic garbage cans for the roof water collection. Have a ceramic filter for final filtering.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 07-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

We have a well too. Electric pump operated. Intention is to use it only for the veggies when they want it...

Old 07-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #9

I have 4 wells, one is electric, one is electric or windmill, and one is electric or manual and one is manual. I have a Winco 25KW generator on a trailer and I can put one of the light tractors on it and tie into our line at either of 3 places to run water or power either of the two farmsteads. If things go down there wont be any electricity either.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 07-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #10

Liked 709 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 227

In many parts of the country a well could be dug after SHTF as it would not take very long. Even here in desert i have found old dug wells that still have water in them. Surface water is near most people but it would require you to move to the water. Hauling water by hand even very short distances is very hard work. In a SHTF situation after a short while everyone would move close to water. Surface water usually amounts to a food source with fish, edible vegetation, and the animals that come to drink.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.