a good knife - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

a good knife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

S&W - always a good choice

forumrunner_20120924_213427.jpg

Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9089 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
S&W - always a good choice

Attachment 60530
Most of the knives with various gun manufacturers names on them these days are cheap made in China crap, but the ones from many years ago are very good knives.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9089 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Not too long after 9/11 I bought two Boker ceramic knives. I was thinking I could carry them onto airplanes undetected. I never tried it though. Both of them have metal parts (including the lock spring) and I was afraid that they would get confiscated which I was not willing to risk given what I paid for them (forget how much now though).

When new the ceramic blades are crazy-ass sharp, much sharper than any other material. The downside is that with the near-diamond hardness of the material comes a very brittle edge, so the result is that the edge chips rather easily and it is not just a matter of sharpening them yourself (even diamond stones don't do the job). So, they have sat in my bedside drawer for years until tonight.
dsc_1235.jpg  

Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #24

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Yeah, even the ceramic dive knives (and kitchen knives) that have no visible metal parts have enough metal built into the blade to set off metal detectors. But they really are great knives.

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #25

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The better bayonets make decent all around knives -- screw the M-9 prybar (even the M-7 is better steel that will actually hold an edge) and get any of OKC's knife-steel Marine 3S (my fav and the "one" to have if there can be only one), M-10, or even Army Special Tanto (now a 420HC stain-resistant Tanto blade that has a wire cutter with the right sheath).

An OKC Ranger-9 is my honking BOB knife. This is a WORKING knife.

It took me a year or two to finally get perfect Gerber Applegate-Fairbairns -- I like the double-lock feature a great deal.

I sorta collected most versions of the Benchmade 580's assisted-opening knives (that also double lock) for, um, finer work. A Victorinox Swiss Army Knife, Spyderco Walker, and a Buck lockback were my EDC for many years of labor. Grabbed a coupla each of CRKT folders including Gallagher Raves as my gentleman's knife.

So many knives, so little time. Invest in better steel is my final word.
okc-m-10.jpg   okc-army-special-tanto-10-.jpg   okc3s.jpg   okc-rd-9.jpg   gerber-applegate-fairbairn-combat-large-5780.gif  

knives-comp.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 10-03-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #26
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2478 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

I've been carrying a pocket knife for... forever. I found that carbon steel will rust in my pocket in no time early on, so I carry stainless. I've been carrying swiss army knives since probably college. Can't imagine going a day without one. I pretty well use it every day. Then there are the knives I stash around me. Next to my chair at home (other than the 50+ in my display table); in the car; in the truck; in my desk; on my bike.

The gun I carry, but never want to use it. The knife I carry because I have to use it.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
hmh

Liked 212 Times on 144 Posts

Minimalist crkt thick blade stainless perfect fit in the hand smallest big knife I have ever had.
forumrunner_20121003_130323.jpg  

Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #28

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

A good dive knife is invaluable. No rust, usually bright colors to find when dropped, usually comes with a sheath to strap to your leg. Not the best choice in all situations by any means, but certainly a good item to have.

Vae Victis

Old 10-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #29
jyo

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like a fairly med size fixed-blade (say 6 1/2" or so)---my choice is a Fallkniven A1---fantastic knife---does most everything. For those smaller tasks, a Spyderco Delica 4 folding knife gets the job done. Remember, a knife is NOT an axe---if you want to chop, bring an axe---I use a Friskers camp axe---not too big, but very useable. In the trunk of my car, I keep a Glock "field" knife---cheap and handy to keep around or loan to friend who "forgot" to bring a blade!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #30

Liked 861 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcowboy View Post
If you wear a big belt buckle put the knife behind the belt buckle and when you go thru tell them your belt buckle will set it off they will have you take every thing out of your pockets and run the wand over you after setting it off and the belt buckle will set it off the bigger the buckle the bigger the knife
So let me get this straight. You are actually suggesting that someone break federal law? While I don't agree at all with the TSA or the effectiveness of that agency. I draw the line at breaking the law let alone going on a public forum and advocating doing so.
dog2000tj Likes This