a good knife - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > a good knife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale
Yes I made the handle.

It was one of the first that I made. But the more I learned, the more I realized I was doing it the way I liked when I first started. Hot worked, open die drop forging.
The handle is gorgeous for your first blade it looks pretty good to.
Griffin81 does absolutely phenomenal work. PM him for tips and advice.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #12

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

The handle was pretty easy. But Id done a lot of wood working in the past.

If I run into any questions Ill give him a shout.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #13

Liked 1653 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I find that too large of a knife is very cumbersome for most tasks. Sometimes I will have several knives on me, a three inch Gerber assisted opening lockback, a 2 3/4" folding Stockman and usually a Leatherman (lost it awhile ago).

Camping I use those, but the boys will always have a dozen or so more than that just to show off their knives.
I am in agreement here. It is rare that I need more than a good pocket knife with a good edge on them. I have never carried a fixed blade, and have never missed one. If I need a big blade, I would prefer it to be an axe.

I currently carry a Ken Onion designed Kershaw, that I have worked with every day for the last four years. It is a spring assist, easy one hand opener. (great when you are on a ladder). This is an example of a high quality, low cost knife. This blade cost about $40.00 and would be hard to beat at any price.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #14

Liked 4538 Times on 2261 Posts
Likes Given: 1030

I have a Kershaw spring open assist. I got it in 08 or 09 at wallyworld. It's American made.! My favorite knife by far. However, I also carry a leatherman mulittool, but that tends to stay in the car.

I have a fixed blade buck knife that my friend gave me before he died. That stays in the BOB, unless I go hunting, in which case I take it with me.

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #15

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Top one is a gerber profile. Had it for a few years it has never failed.
Got the little one today so i can carry something more discreet in church, football, baseball games and such.
Profile cost me 25$ The little one cost me 10$ I could have shaved with either of them out of the box, they are that sharp.

image-1805512672.jpg

Old 09-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 59 Posts

I actually carry 3 knives as my edc. Clipped to my right front pocket is a Spyderco Tenacious, clipped to the left front is a Cold Steel Medium tanto, and also in the right front is a small 2 or 3 blade Case. I have numerous other knives but the Spyderco and Cold Steel have been the ones I regularly carry and have always served me well. If I'm going hunting or camping I will put a Buck 119 or a SOG Seal Pup on my belt.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #17

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

My favorite knock-around knife (woods use) is an Opinel (Hope-in hell) folder.

opinelknife.jpg

And they make one for everyone's need.

1260696723_18689.jpg

My go-to knife is a Kershaw, Ken Onion designed, Shallot model 1840ST. All SS knife and made in the good ol USA!

Got it NIB on the bay for $26+ship ~$30 total but I shopped for two weeks looking for the right auction.

It is a one hand, assisted open knife. Fit and finish is +1 Kershaw quality.

1ko1.jpg

1ko3.jpg

1ko2.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #18

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear
I went camping with a few budies of mine and was suprised to find a couple forgot knives.
If you are looking for an inexpensive outdoor knife you simply can't beat a Mora in carbon steel. The utility and functionality of a Mora knife far outweigh their meager price.

If you're willing to spend a bit more money one of my first choices would probably be a ESEE brand knife. They are available in lengths from a bit under 3 inches to over 6 inches and are high quality, durable knives.

Last edited by mdauben; 09-23-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #19

Liked 1653 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
My favorite knock-around knife (woods use) is an Opinel (Hope-in hell) folder.

Attachment 60187

And they make one for everyone's need.

Attachment 60186

My go-to knife is a Kershaw, Ken Onion designed, Shallot model 1840ST. All SS knife and made in the good ol USA!

Got it NIB on the bay for $26+ship ~$30 total but I shopped for two weeks looking for the right auction.

It is a one hand, assisted open knife. Fit and finish is +1 Kershaw quality.

Attachment 60189

Attachment 60191

Attachment 60190
I have looked at the Opinel knives often, but have never known anyone who actually owned one. I am gald to hear they serve well; one may be in my future.

When my daughter was in Germany she picke me up a nice, traditional knife, a Hartkopf Snakewood single blade knife that I used until I found out what she paid for it. I am a pocket knife fool, I have a small drawer full of them. Some are novely knives with no useful function that I bought because I thought they were interesting.

I use a knife ten times a day (at least) and on the rare day that I leave mine in yesterday's pants pocket, I will buy one. I can't stand not having one in my pocket.

I went through different phases with the knives; for a while I bought a lot of switchblades to work with because of the ability to work one handed with them. I found that even the very pricey switch blades do not last long enough to be a good work knife. The spring assist, thumb knives work well for me.

My current work knife is the Kershaw 1550ST, similar to the one described above.

An outstanding choice for a budget, fixed blade knife, working knife, is a knife used by insulation workers. A Klenk #KDDK would be a hell of a good survival knife. It has a decent hardwood handle, one side of the blade is full, finely serrated, the other side is a normal blade. The are purchased scary sharp, hold an edge well and cost under $20.00.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 09-23-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1501 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 3265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I am in agreement here. It is rare that I need more than a good pocket knife with a good edge on them. I have never carried a fixed blade, and have never missed one.
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I carry a lock blade for convenience and it works, but for me there is no substitution for a fixed blade. There's nothing like the solid feel of a fixed blade even for a small blade.