Gold or Silver ? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Gold or Silver ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 04:52 AM   #41
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I don't have the income to buy gold or silver. I buy ammo and reinforce my infrastructure so i can grow more food etc..

Not too long ago I had a couple of buddies who were trying to talk me into taking out a loan on my property (we own it free and clear) to invest in some properties that they wanted to "flip" for some fast cash. I declined and they found other people who invested and they lost their arsses in the deal. The real estate bubble collapsed and the properties were worthless. As in worth less than they had invested.

I view precious metals with the same jaundiced eye. I would not invest in PM's on a bet today because that is want it would be, a bet. The only thing gold and silver would be worth in a serious SHTF scenario is to be cast into bullets.

If you have money invest it in land and infrastructure. If you have land and infrastructure invest in ammo and food stores. That willl be the only stuff worthy of trade.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #42
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I don't have the income to buy gold or silver. I buy ammo and reinforce my infrastructure so i can grow more food etc..

Not too long ago I had a couple of buddies who were trying to talk me into taking out a loan on my property (we own it free and clear) to invest in some properties that they wanted to "flip" for some fast cash. I declined and they found other people who invested and they lost their arsses in the deal. The real estate bubble collapsed and the properties were worthless. As in worth less than they had invested.

I view precious metals with the same jaundiced eye. I would not invest in PM's on a bet today because that is want it would be, a bet. The only thing gold and silver would be worth in a serious SHTF scenario is to be cast into bullets.

If you have money invest it in land and infrastructure. If you have land and infrastructure invest in ammo and food stores. That willl be the only stuff worthy of trade.
A lot of people make this mistake. Buying physical PMs is not an investment at all to me. If you have wealth tied up in a 401k, Roth IRA, stocks, and a bank account and our currency craps out, what wealth have you got? All you've got is the personal property you own because your paper investments just disappeared.

You own land free and clear and that's outstanding! That will always be worth something no matter what happens to the dollar.

Metals are a similar store of wealth.

In a SHTF situation, you don't barter with gold and silver. You barter with tampons and cigarettes. PMs give you a store of wealth for AFTER things get back together.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #43
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post

In a SHTF situation, you don't barter with gold and silver. You barter with tampons and cigarettes. PMs give you a store of wealth for AFTER things get back together.
Very good point.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 11-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #44

Liked 1316 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
9-26-11 PM.
Gold is $1600, Silver is $30.
Gold took a small hit.
Silver's taking a dive, again, like it did on 4-29-11.
Which are you buying, if any?
Which would you buy if you could?
I thought you were asking which Browning autoloader to purchase, the Gold or the Silver Hunter?

Old 11-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #45
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
A lot of people make this mistake. Buying physical PMs is not an investment at all to me. If you have wealth tied up in a 401k, Roth IRA, stocks, and a bank account and our currency craps out, what wealth have you got? All you've got is the personal property you own because your paper investments just disappeared.

You own land free and clear and that's outstanding! That will always be worth something no matter what happens to the dollar.

Metals are a similar store of wealth.

Unfortunately I don't have much of a 401K either! At least not enough to gamble with.

I do have beehives and honey would actually be quite valuable in SHTF. Also have an ample supply of chestnut trees which would also be valuable. I would accept gold or silver as payment for honey and chestnuts. I won't stock up on cigarettes since I am philosophically opposed to smoking tobacco. Never thought of tampons.. Perhaps those feminine napkins would be better, they make an ideal wound dressing in a pinch. I carry some in my first aid kits for that reason. I guess a tampon woul work as well but I have never hear of how you would use on for that. Maybe to stop off bleeding in a severed major artery? That sounds like an iffy idea to me but it could work.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #46
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Honey is very valuable as a food source, natural antibiotic and as a source for mead. Alcohol will always be in demand; if you don't know how to make mead (or any kind of wine), learn. It's easy, actually.

We don't get to pick the barter items; we'll figure it out if and when the time comes. But if what has happened elsewhere is any indicator, medicines, feminine hygiene products, cigs, booze, condoms, ammo and fuel are all pretty likely to make the list.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #47

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I sold off my old class ring recently and used the money to buy silver.
Just out of curiosity, how much was your school ring worth and what was the weight of whatever PM it was made out of? I still have mine, but I figured since it is only 10K gold it won't be worth much. But I haven't checked it out yet.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #48

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much was your school ring worth and what was the weight of whatever PM it was made out of? I still have mine, but I figured since it is only 10K gold it won't be worth much. But I haven't checked it out yet.
Mine was 10k gold and weighed 15.5 grams. Got $214 for it. I hadn't worn it in over 17 years. Bought that amount in silver.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #49

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Awesome. Great idea. I'll check out my local stores and see what they offer. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 437 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
Awesome. Great idea. I'll check out my local stores and see what they offer. Thanks.
look up the value of your gold and silver jewelry here.
It will give you an idea of value and see how much the store is gouging you.

How much is my jewelry worth?