Gold or Silver ? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Gold or Silver ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #31
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Yup, seems way off to me, too. A bunch of places out there are way off. Or my math is way off.

The site you refer to seems to have prices far closer to regular bullion prices.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #32
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2473 Times on 1325 Posts
Likes Given: 879

As long as society is still in order, I buy the GLD exchange traded fund (ETF). It's a very convenient way to buy gold.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #33

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
As long as society is still in order, I buy the GLD exchange traded fund (ETF). It's a very convenient way to buy gold.
This doesn't seem safe to me when there are so many reports of an impending crash of the US Dollar. You'll have a certificate saying that someone owes you a boatload of useless paper. You would have to cash in right before the crash, then spend the cash on some other useful commodity.

I'll stick with junk silver. The way I figure it is, if it keeps going up, that means the dollar is getting weaker and weaker, and I have given myself a chance of carrying my "wealth" into the next era. I'll need all the internationally acceptable currency I can get my hands on. If the price falls, that can mean an improving economy, and even if I lose a bit on the investment component, if the economy improves, I won't care as much.

By the way, NO ONE knows I have silver. But an ETF is backed by a promise that someone will pay you for it when you go to turn them in. What would happen to a paper certificate payable in cash, and value tracked by the price of gold, if, say, the government confiscates all the gold....again. Now you're beholden to the government to get your cash, and they can control the price of gold.

Maybe that's a conspiracy theory gone haywire. But I'll still stick with junk silver.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 AM   #34
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2473 Times on 1325 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
This doesn't seem safe to me when there are so many reports of an impending crash of the US Dollar. You'll have a certificate saying that someone owes you a boatload of useless paper. You would have to cash in right before the crash, then spend the cash on some other useful commodity.

I'll stick with junk silver. The way I figure it is, if it keeps going up, that means the dollar is getting weaker and weaker, and I have given myself a chance of carrying my "wealth" into the next era. I'll need all the internationally acceptable currency I can get my hands on. If the price falls, that can mean an improving economy, and even if I lose a bit on the investment component, if the economy improves, I won't care as much.

By the way, NO ONE knows I have silver. But an ETF is backed by a promise that someone will pay you for it when you go to turn them in. What would happen to a paper certificate payable in cash, and value tracked by the price of gold, if, say, the government confiscates all the gold....again. Now you're beholden to the government to get your cash, and they can control the price of gold.

Maybe that's a conspiracy theory gone haywire. But I'll still stick with junk silver.
You're correct, it doesn't work as a SHTF strategy.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #35

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
I just did a quick comparison between my guys and the link above. . (snip) . . Or is apmex really expensive?
Thanks for the PROVIDENT link! I did these silver coin comps this morning. Lowest price in bold:

Morgan dollars, 100 coins; APMEX, $2,834.22 PROVIDENT, $3,091.22

Mercury dimes, $100 face; APMEX, $2,462.92 PROVIDENT, $2,380.00

2009 Silver Eagles each; APMEX, $35.62 PROVIDENT, $37.56

$1 Face value; APMEX, $24.29 PROVIDENT, $23.02

Old 10-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #36

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

A friend an I have been using Provident Metals for a while now. Good service and the price is reasonable. I was buying 1/10 oz. gold eagles, a few a month until the price got up to $1600. I am going to start purchasing more silver since it is more affordable. I have pre-65 dimes, quarters and dollars. I think I will go with 1 oz. and fractional .999 silver coins now.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:

I agree...I like to have something I can actually get my hands on...

Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #38

Bullets in the event if a global melt down I can hunt defend myself . Can't eat gold or silver . Bullets , gun , knife, ax , saws ect

Old 11-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #39
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by bick65 View Post
Bullets in the event if a global melt down I can hunt defend myself . Can't eat gold or silver . Bullets , gun , knife, ax , saws ect
And once the bad situation is over and you've cleaned your guns and put them away, what store of wealth will you have? Stocks? Cash? That won't help your if the cause of the global meltdown is the dollar crapping out.

Precious metals, land and maybe a few other things hold value pretty well relative to other commodities.

Do as you see fit, of course.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #40

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I sold off my old class ring recently and used the money to buy silver. The pawn/jewelry store I dealt with used that days current silver price on melt price to value their 90% coins. I picked out a bunch and grabbed up some Morgans and various coins. They charged $2 over spot on the whole transaction.

Here's the website they had pulled up: Silver Coin Melt Values - Coinflation (Live Prices)

I don't have much silver yet but will keep buying a bit at a time. Everything I got was pre-64 and some of it was in plastic collecting cases. He had said they are put together 3rd party from circulated coins.