Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Gold, Guns, & Get-away-plan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I'm more interested in the get away plan. Just where does one think they will go?
Nowhere, unless staying home becomes more dangerous than venturing out to a BOL.

I have multiple BOLs, two of which are way out in the middle of nowhere. No place will guarantee safety, but if predictions that being within 10 miles of an urban center would be extremely dangerous are true, then these places should offer more safety than staying put at home.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #12

Liked 351 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Much as I hate getting into this one again, I'm curious. What are you going to haul all this stuff with? Gold and/or silver, ammo, weapons, food & water, clothing, medical supplies and let's not forget the family. That's a lot of weight. I doubt your F-150 or even 250 is up to it. Not attacking anyone here, just curious about logistics.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts

My thought is if you're not already "off grid" and in your BOL, with all the gear, the whole family, water and all the good stuff, you're gonna have an enormous amount of trouble making all that happen once the proverbial S has hit the proverbial fan. Don't wait, act while you can.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #14

Liked 351 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfox556 View Post
My thought is if you're not already "off grid" and in your BOL, with all the gear, the whole family, water and all the good stuff, you're gonna have an enormous amount of trouble making all that happen once the proverbial S has hit the proverbial fan. Don't wait, act while you can.
Precisely MrFox. Everybody and their brother will hit the road and go as far as a tank of gas will take them, About 100-300 miles depending on the vehicle condition, load and the weather. Ever see pictures of highways out of town when an evac's been ordered? You ain't gettin nowhere fast. Besides what I outlined in my first post, you're gonna need gasoline. You'll need to get around at your BOL and get back when it's over. How about fuel oil and/or propane for cooking and heat? Generator? More weight, needs fuel. You'll use wood. OK, taking a chain saw? More fuel and 2 stroke oil. When was the last time you cut down a tree and split wood by hand with an ax? Last but not least, how long do you plan on being gone? Week, month, year? The longer you're out there, the bigger the inventory gets. I wish you all the luck in the world, you'll need it.

Last edited by Donn; 07-13-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Much as I hate getting into this one again, I'm curious. What are you going to haul all this stuff with? Gold and/or silver, ammo, weapons, food & water, clothing, medical supplies and let's not forget the family. That's a lot of weight. I doubt your F-150 or even 250 is up to it. Not attacking anyone here, just curious about logistics.
Not much point in having a bug-out location if you don't keep it stocked, right? I would not try to haul everything from home to a BOL because what I need is already there.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #16

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Silver?

I think it has an "Obama" premium attached to it and I can tell ya I stopped buying any when it went from dollars per ounce to tens of dollars per ounce -- the US Dollar has not fallen so far in purchasing power to warrant current precious metal values.

A little goes a long way anytime as insurance at any price, gold or silver. I urge everyone to have some. But I've been done buying any for, well, years. If you have the cash to pay it off and could use a new one, buy a new car/truck but borrow as much as you possibly can for as long as you can and pay it off if with those cheap saved dollars as the inflation you'd have to fear sets in.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 07-14-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

As far as a get-away plan I have none. I will pretty much adopt into my mindset the old American Indian adage: "Today is a good day to die." And 'stand my ground.'