Going on a camping trip
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Going on a camping trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Going on a camping trip

Me, 2 friends and my dad are most likely going on a ca "camping trip" soon and I have a few questions. The hike is about 3 miles or so mostly up hill the whole way there. I don't know of any water sources near it and I'm not sure what to bring and my dads pretty new to the whole backpacking thing as well. We all know basic survival skills and such and have read multiple books. Say its 4 of us, we hike there, set up camp, stay the night then hike back, what would be a safe amount of water to bring? I know waters heavy so I wad thinking 5 gallons divided between us. We are all in good shape so it shouldn't be extremely difficult. Also its going to be like 90+ degrees hiking there but we are going to leave early at around 6am so it will be cooler on the way back. There are also a lot of red ants and possibly rattlesnakes. (someones dog was bit awhile ago but it was off the leash) What should we do to be more careful besides the obvious? I know the keep your constantly scanning, listen for movement or rattling, etc. And last but not least what should we all bring? I have a pretty well equipped 3 day bug out bag and ill be posting what I have in it later today, I know all the basics I just want a refresher. I know these questions are kind of vague because you guys haven't seen the lay out of the area but its a somewhat commonly used hiking spot (I saw a small truck once, horses another time and people every so often)in the mountains of southern California and it gets up to 100+ degrees in the late summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #2

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

For drinking, you need about 1/2 to 1 gal each per day, depending on how hot it is. If you're going to cook with the water too, as in dehydrated meals, then you will be at the 1 gal end for 24 hours.

For a 36 hour excursion, 1 1/3 gallon each sounds about right.

Check your topo maps to see if there are any springs about half way up the mountain.

Rain water generally collects along fault lines in mountains, and percolates up due to the forces of sedimentation and gravity in certain spots. A spring would be ideal, but you need to look and see where they are located.

Anyplace there are mountains there are normally springs halfway up the mountains as well.

Last edited by Shoobee; 05-28-2014 at 11:07 PM.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 05-29-2014, 02:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
For drinking, you need about 1/2 to 1 gal each per day, depending on how hot it is. If you're going to cook with the water too, as in dehydrated meals, then you will be at the 1 gal end for 24 hours.

For a 36 hour excursion, 1 1/3 gallon each sounds about right.

Check your topo maps to see if there are any springs about half way up the mountain.

Rain water generally collects along fault lines in mountains, and percolates up due to the forces of sedimentation and gravity in certain spots. A spring would be ideal, but you need to look and see where they are located.

Anyplace there are mountains there are normally springs halfway up the mountains as well.
Ok thanks, I am also not sure on what to do for shelter. I have a large tent but its too bulky for this kind of trip. I know some tarp shelters but id rather not be covered in red ants and spiders when I wake up. I was thinking I could buy a smaller tent for around 100$? Im not sure.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:22 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10997 Times on 4764 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

Yes, there are small tents- many under $100, will not always keep ants out- sorry. I would be concerned about something to sleep ON- like an ensolite pad or air mattress, something to sleep in (blanket, poncho liner, light sleeping bag) Check WalMart- they have a 5 man tent for $49.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-10-x-8-Tent-Sleeps-5/22659693?action=product_interest&action_type=image &placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id =77498471173&category=0%3A4125%3A546956%3A4128%3A8 87708%3A5147&client_guid=ec1fdd9b-20d4-4014-8000-0771fc9f0d82&config_id=0&parent_item_id=22630912&g uid=1cb9fbee-e81f-406c-a7dc-909ff363c9cd&bucket_id=irsbucket011&findingMethod= p13n

Munchies, water, toilet paper. A small garden trowel. heat tablets or a lightweight stove. Canteen cup is your bowl/ cook pot /cup. Take a spoon. Munchies, water, spare sox. Washcloth/ small towel. rain poncho. bug spray. Camera. mini flashlight. bandaids.

Do not pack like Hannibal crossing the alps- or you will be packing so much weight you will not enjoy the trip. 3 miles is a casual stroll even for an old fart like me- unless you are trying to carry the bathtub in your pack.

Last edited by c3shooter; 05-29-2014 at 03:28 AM.
TLuker Likes This 
Old 05-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Yes, there are small tents- many under $100, will not always keep ants out- sorry. I would be concerned about something to sleep ON- like an ensolite pad or air mattress, something to sleep in (blanket, poncho liner, light sleeping bag) Check WalMart- they have a 5 man tent for $49.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-10-x-8-Tent-Sleeps-5/22659693?action=product_interest&action_type=image &placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id =77498471173&category=0%3A4125%3A546956%3A4128%3A8 87708%3A5147&client_guid=ec1fdd9b-20d4-4014-8000-0771fc9f0d82&config_id=0&parent_item_id=22630912&g uid=1cb9fbee-e81f-406c-a7dc-909ff363c9cd&bucket_id=irsbucket011&findingMethod= p13n

Munchies, water, toilet paper. A small garden trowel. heat tablets or a lightweight stove. Canteen cup is your bowl/ cook pot /cup. Take a spoon. Munchies, water, spare sox. Washcloth/ small towel. rain poncho. bug spray. Camera. mini flashlight. bandaids.

Do not pack like Hannibal crossing the alps- or you will be packing so much weight you will not enjoy the trip. 3 miles is a casual stroll even for an old fart like me- unless you are trying to carry the bathtub in your
pack.
Thanks C3, any idea on keeping the ants away ? Theres AT LEAST one hill every 20 ft or so from what I've seen. Its not like they'll ruin my trip but ever since I sat on a fire ant hill by accident when I was 8( yes lol it happened) I prefer to stay away from them. Ill probably pick up a tent from Walmart and use that and some sleeping pad/mats. I have a mil surp e tool that will come in handy, a lot heavier than a garden trowel though. I was going to pick up some MRE's as munchies, 2-3 each person but I heard from some soldiers some make you crap, others make it so you cant. Should I still get some to bring anyway?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10997 Times on 4764 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

The MRE is a shelf stable high calorie food that can be eaten as is, warmed, or combined with other foods. They are also pricey, may not be the most appetizing, etc.

Local overnight- why not take food? Instant oatmeal for breakfast (does need hot water) PopTarts some fruit, instant coffee. Beanie wienies, beef stew, packaged crackers, etc. Ramen noodles. Heck, try one or more of the freeze dried meals over in the Walmart camping dept. DO NOT FORGET THE WATER THEY TAKE.

And there is always GORP. (Good old raisins and peanuts) also called Trail mix. M&Ms, peanuts, raisins. If you will have a fire, popcorn for evening snack.

Ants? See prior note on bug juice- insect repellent.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The MRE is a shelf stable high calorie food that can be eaten as is, warmed, or combined with other foods. They are also pricey, may not be the most appetizing, etc.

Local overnight- why not take food? Instant oatmeal for breakfast (does need hot water) PopTarts some fruit, instant coffee. Beanie wienies, beef stew, packaged crackers, etc. Ramen noodles. Heck, try one or more of the freeze dried meals over in the Walmart camping dept. DO NOT FORGET THE WATER THEY TAKE.

And there is always GORP. (Good old raisins and peanuts) also called Trail mix. M&Ms, peanuts, raisins. If you will have a fire, popcorn for evening snack.

Ants? See prior note on bug juice- insect repellent.

Ok cool, mres are a little pricey. I cant really make a fire to cook with though because of the fire hazards so ill either need to buy a mini stove or dig a small hole.

Last edited by beastmode986; 05-29-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #8

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Before you walk into a forest to go on a hike, listen to this.

In the last 15 years, 240 people have vanished without a trace, on trails, in the west coast of the USA. Many of these people, were experienced hikers, on known trails they were familiar with.

This series of three books, details people that come up missing, or dead, in national parks over the past 100
+ years. Written by a police investigator, who is credible.

Something is hunting humans, in the national parks.

I only go into woods with a chest gun of 10mm strength.

Most people are taken, are on the leading or trailing edge of a group, wearing bright colors.

Last edited by AR10; 05-29-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #9

Liked 3621 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

One of the best recommendations I can make for hiking in rattler country is always use a walking stick and whack any scrub or bushes immediately in front of you before stepping into an unseen location.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Before you walk into a forest to go on a hike, listen to this.

In the last 15 years, 240 people have vanished without a trace, on trails, in the west coast of the USA. Many of these people, were experienced hikers, on known trails they were familiar with.

This series of three books, details people that come up missing, or dead, in national parks over the past 100
+ years. Written by a police investigator, who is credible.

Something is hunting humans, in the national parks.

I only go into woods with a chest gun of 10mm strength.

Most people are taken, are on the leading or trailing edge of a group, wearing bright colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxs4rHS8sTU
Too bad I'm not old enough too carry yet. I guess ill press my luck.