Goats!! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Goats!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I have been considering getting a couple of milk goats, maybe three. I was around them a lot when I was a child, you do have to be careful not to turn your back on them or they will butt you. Also, as 'Gello says, they will freaking climb on anything to get up high. I have seen them up in trees, on rooftops, on cars. Little bastages will surprise you where they can climb up to!

In any case they have to be less trouble than my wife is.
screaming-goat.jpg  

Old 08-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #22
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Ahh, also very useful information. I am not concerned really about stuff we don't want them to eat, since there is not much of that, and it would be easy to keep them away.

TekGreg, are you saying they stink when they get wet? Do they care if they are out in the rain, or will they go inside their house? The goats would not be so much for SHTF, but more like getting in the proper mindset to prep in that sort of way. I do see, though, about your neighbors "repurposing" them for their own needs. Surely in this situation, a farm would need to be hardened, and have some very good security.
They are mountain climbers and will climb anything: cars, wood piles, pump houses, etc. - anything that will give them an altitude advantage. They will attempt a fence climb/jump/breaching if they are hungry. They generally live 15-20 years, and 25+ is not unheard of. Once-Bred females will give milk sometimes for years. With their natural immunities to things that would kill a normal farm animal, they almost never seem to need a vet.

Yes, they stink when they get wet, kind of like a wet wool smell. This goes away as soon as they dry. Yes, they will use their shed if the rain bothers them. Some just wander in it, but thunder will normally drive them inside. Again, they are very self-sufficient and do not need to be micro-mamaged.

Like many animals, they can become conditioned to gunfire, given time. Just start off with the gun fire being far off but so they can hear it. Gradually decrease distance and eventually the goats won't care at all.

In an SHTF situation, goats provide milk, meat and security. My neighbors goat was sharper on picking up noise than the chickens. The goat woke the chickens and the chickens made such a ruckus it woke the neighborhood! It was always the goat that noticed first. Goats are also fairly easy for one person to herd, depending on size of group.

You also have options with goats that you don't have with cattle or other large animals. A fully grown goat can be lifted and carried by an adult. They can be transported in a mini-van or small trailer - they fit in the XL transport cage. Goats are not claustrophobic. They can be used to work caves and indoor structures, shipping containers, buildings and the like. If you had to protect your farm animals, you could easily herd a few goat into a garage, shed, basement or even spare bedroom until danger cleared (tornado, tsunami, hungry neighbor, etc.) and keep them safe. Just remember, they ALWAYS climb, so don't expect them to stay on the ground.

VikingDad is correct, they will butt you. However, this isn't usually anger. Young goats (kids) play by butting and older adults do it for entertainment or establishing dominance. When you bend over to pick something up, they see it as lowering your head and "challenging" them. Be careful to watch them if you reach for the ground. They can also be taught commands like "no," "bed" or "lay down."

I would've never considered goats to be worth anything until I saw all of the food, health, security and allergy benefits they can provide. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot; The neighbor's goat bunked with the chickens (one building with chickens in coop at end of building next to his shed) and when they were out in the yard wandering, the goat would attack cats, dogs, hawks or anything going after his friends. Oh, and the ones that faint at loud noises is a specific breed - you have to go looking for someone that breeds them, but I would recommend against it. Goats sold by feed stores and such will not be the passing-out species. Goats are almost the perfect farm animal because they are so highly diversified in their use and you have complete control, unlike larger animals.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I hope I answered all the questions! Let me know if you are concerned about anything else.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 08-06-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
They are mountain climbers and will climb anything: cars, wood piles, pump houses, etc. - anything that will give them an altitude advantage. They will attempt a fence climb/jump/breaching if they are hungry. They generally live 15-20 years, and 25+ is not unheard of. Once-Bred females will give milk sometimes for years. With their natural immunities to things that would kill a normal farm animal, they almost never seem to need a vet.

Yes, they stink when they get wet, kind of like a wet wool smell. This goes away as soon as they dry. Yes, they will use their shed if the rain bothers them. Some just wander in it, but thunder will normally drive them inside. Again, they are very self-sufficient and do not need to be micro-mamaged.

Like many animals, they can become conditioned to gunfire, given time. Just start off with the gun fire being far off but so they can hear it. Gradually decrease distance and eventually the goats won't care at all.

In an SHTF situation, goats provide milk, meat and security. My neighbors goat was sharper on picking up noise than the chickens. The goat woke the chickens and the chickens made such a ruckus it woke the neighborhood! It was always the goat that noticed first. Goats are also fairly easy for one person to herd, depending on size of group.

You also have options with goats that you don't have with cattle or other large animals. A fully grown goat can be lifted and carried by an adult. They can be transported in a mini-van or small trailer - they fit in the XL transport cage. Goats are not claustrophobic. They can be used to work caves and indoor structures, shipping containers, buildings and the like. If you had to protect your farm animals, you could easily herd a few goat into a garage, shed, basement or even spare bedroom until danger cleared (tornado, tsunami, hungry neighbor, etc.) and keep them safe. Just remember, they ALWAYS climb, so don't expect them to stay on the ground.

VikingDad is correct, they will butt you. However, this isn't usually anger. Young goats (kids) play by butting and older adults do it for entertainment or establishing dominance. When you bend over to pick something up, they see it as lowering your head and "challenging" them. Be careful to watch them if you reach for the ground. They can also be taught commands like "no," "bed" or "lay down."

I would've never considered goats to be worth anything until I saw all of the food, health, security and allergy benefits they can provide. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot; The neighbor's goat bunked with the chickens (one building with chickens in coop at end of building next to his shed) and when they were out in the yard wandering, the goat would attack cats, dogs, hawks or anything going after his friends. Oh, and the ones that faint at loud noises is a specific breed - you have to go looking for someone that breeds them, but I would recommend against it. Goats sold by feed stores and such will not be the passing-out species. Goats are almost the perfect farm animal because they are so highly diversified in their use and you have complete control, unlike larger animals.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I hope I answered all the questions! Let me know if you are concerned about anything else.
Too bad they can't cook!
racer_x Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #24

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Goats are great for keeping undergrowth down. The downside is they die easy. Keeping them wormed is a pain and if you have ANY coyotes/stray dogs in the area they will kill a whole herd over the course of a night.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 1876

TekGreg is spot on about the usefulness of goats. There's several dairy breeds to choose from, so you could go for volume vs. higher butterfat content. The milk is said to be much better for human kids than cows milk, and it doesn't bother those who are lactose intolerant, plus it's easier to digest. No firsthand experience yet, as none of our dairy girls have kidded yet, thus no milk for us. Add in a meat breed, like Boer or Pygmy, and you have more muscle mass than the dairy breeds provide.
We have Pygmy, Nigerian Dwarf (small dairy breed with the highest butterfat of any goat milk), and Nubian (dairy breed). Get a SHTF herd of goats, and you'll have goodies to trade to your neighbors.

The main reason buck goats stink is that when they go in rut, they pee all over their legs, bellies, and beards. Apparently doe goats go all lovestruck at the aroma. Our two bucklings haven't reached that stage yet, but they will.

Secure fencing requires at least 5-strand electric or no-climb woven fencing, preferably both. They can destroy a welded field fence by constantly rubbing along it to scratch, eventually breaking loose the welds. Already had to repair an early fence section for that very reason.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Last edited by buckhuntr; 08-06-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I have been considering getting a couple of milk goats, maybe three. I was around them a lot when I was a child, you do have to be careful not to turn your back on them or they will butt you. Also, as 'Gello says, they will freaking climb on anything to get up high. I have seen them up in trees, on rooftops, on cars. Little bastages will surprise you where they can climb up to!

In any case they have to be less trouble than my wife is.
I'm not going to ask about the photo.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

If you're using goats for milk,, it's a daily chore... Goats and sheep together will keep your fruit and nut orchard nice and tidy. As well as brush and overgrowth control. If your looking for front and back lawn service then go with a couple of Gooses...

Become steel or get cut.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 363 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Have you ever looked close a goat's eyes? They see in 16:9 widescreen. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I'm not going to ask about the photo.
LOL! It was actually my attempt at posting a mini-video of a goat that looks like it is laughing. Somewhere I screwed it up and it isn't animated. Oh well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
If you're using goats for milk,, it's a daily chore... Goats and sheep together will keep your fruit and nut orchard nice and tidy. As well as brush and overgrowth control. If your looking for front and back lawn service then go with a couple of Gooses...
Be careful with goats around trees. If they don't have ample forage they will strip the bark off of the trees, girdling them and eventually killing the tree. You can make a fence around the trunk to prevent it from happening though. On the other hand the goats will keep the trees pruned up off the ground quite tidily. They stand on their hind legs and eat everything they can reach, which leaves the trees all perfectly pruned up! But if they can climb the tree they will, and then you have a different problem.
tree-climbing-goats.jpg  
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #30

Liked 56 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Wish i could agree with they need little care or maybe i am just unlucky. But make sure you keep them wormed, dont feed males too much sweet feed they are prone to kidney stones and can cause blockages. Make sure you keep them a mineral block and if they are kept in small quarters make sure they have dry places to walk or they will get hoof rot. I still have to cut my grass in the field with the goats cause mine wont eat grass guess if i didnt give them feed and hay year round they may. But they do need lots of hay and roughage especially in winter. They will kill trees eventually and def will keep any small trees killed and they are good keeping weeds off fence line. They do like to climb so we build them platforms to get on. And they need a shelter they do not like to get wet! My vet recommends purina goat chow. Hope this helps. They are really fun to watch playing for sure!