Goats!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Goats!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 983 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

I was told for the winter they need a shed, some hay, some feed, and a heated water source. And, optionally, a TV & DVD player with every episode of the Dukes of Hazard...

And yes, we are talking about wethered males here.....

Old 08-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1321 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 607

I had a next-door neighbor that owned a goat and I worked with him for four years. They have to be one of the lowest maintenance farm animals there is. They eat the worst scrub vegetation that exists, including thorns, ivy and anything that you can't kill with Roundup. They can sure-footedly handle any mountainous terrain that would kill a human or tractor. If they have a small lean-to or shed to protect from rain and sun exposure, they are smart enough to use it. The milk they give is quite good if used cold and the cheese made from it is a low-fat white cheese akin to mozzarella. A local doctor also told me that it is possible for humans to increase their tolerance to poisonous foliage like poison oak/ivy by drinking goat's milk from a goat that has eaten that plant. In the winter, you can provide hay or any bailed grass, oats or cob, garden vegetation, lawn clippings and human scraps from the table. If it ever grew in the ground, a goat will eat it!

For SHTF, this would have to be one of the most useful animals there is. On top of all of the above, there is a small culture of backwoods people that use packs and saddlebags to carry tools, food, clothing and whatever else they need with them. A goat can carry up to 35 lbs and can tow about 50 lbs in a sled. Yes, they can serve as small pack animals!

The viable males are the most aggressive and will go through seasons of marking everything in sight. Best to use fixed males and does as long as you don't plan to breed them, or make a deal with someone with a viable male to impregnate your females. They only need a vet if injured and you can give shots or any needed meds pretty easily, making them one of the cheapest animals there is to keep. Hooves should be cleaned and trimmed if there are problems, but they are almost always self-sufficient. This is the ultimate "Farm animal for Dummies" that ever existed.

Hope it helps!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 08-05-2013 at 12:31 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #13

That is awesome info, TekGreg! A lot of that I didn't know. It sounds like the wife isn't going to go for it, but we'll see......

Old 08-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1321 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
That is awesome info, TekGreg! A lot of that I didn't know. It sounds like the wife isn't going to go for it, but we'll see......
Glad to help! Let her know that the only downside to having a goat, like any other farm animal, is when they get wet. Keep their shelter away from your house and you won't have a problem. They can be put on a running line, much like a dog and therefore contained only in certain, well-foliaged areas. A sturdy nylon collar and a medium chain running along a wire, up and down greenery will keep them happy for weeks if they have water and shelter.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Please Note: Keep the goats the hell away from anything you don't want them climbing all over with their sharp little hooves, things like YOUR FREAKIN CAR. They like to get up higher to see around or something, lil bastids. They will eat kudzu, though; this redeems them somewhat.

My sister had some; ended up giving them away.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 08-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 719 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

I have goats, 8 of 'em. Intent was to raise kids for eating, but they have turned me and Wife into softies, because of their great personalities and are about like dogs with horns. The lambs, however are not nearly so cute, nor are they very friendly, so about September.....

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Argyle_Armoring Likes This 
Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

What's the expected lifespan on goats? If its not long I bet you'll have to replace them before you ever run into a SHTF situation.

Also in a SHTF situation I wonder if any unprepared hungry neighbors might come get your goats for their own purposes...

Not a bad idea though. My wife likes goats for some reason.

Maybe if we get enough land someday, a couple goats could be a good alternative to a lawn mower for part of it.

Do goats scare easily? Like from gun shots?

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Depends on the breed.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Please Note: Keep the goats the hell away from anything you don't want them climbing all over with their sharp little hooves, things like YOUR FREAKIN CAR. They like to get up higher to see around or something, lil bastids. They will eat kudzu, though; this redeems them somewhat.
Ahh, also very useful information. I am not concerned really about stuff we don't want them to eat, since there is not much of that, and it would be easy to keep them away.

TekGreg, are you saying they stink when they get wet? Do they care if they are out in the rain, or will they go inside their house? The goats would not be so much for SHTF, but more like getting in the proper mindset to prep in that sort of way. I do see, though, about your neighbors "repurposing" them for their own needs. Surely in this situation, a farm would need to be hardened, and have some very good security.

Last edited by clr8ter; 08-05-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #20
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1754 Times on 975 Posts
Likes Given: 5312

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I have a range in the south portion of the property which is fenced for the Goats and Steer.

The Steer don't seem to care about the gunshots, the goats usually head back near their little barn, just like they do when it rains.

Goats can be a bit skittish to something unfamiliar.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL