Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Goats!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/goats-94980/)

clr8ter 08-04-2013 11:57 PM

Goats!!

So, I have been doing some side work for a farmer on and off these last couple of months. Interesting, since I know nothing, really, of farming. He raises several crops, and most of the standard barnyard animals. He seems to have a soft spot for his goats, though. He's got some for sale, very reasonable @ $100/pair. Now, like I said, I'm no farmer, but it has dawned on me that if the SHTF, farming your own food is what's really going to do it for you. Not that goats are food..........For now, I'm half interested in them because;
1. I have an overabundance of horrible brushy, spiny, prickly, viney crap I can't control. I'm told goats LOVE all that stuff. It's salad to them.

2. While the goats are keeping my "salad" under control, I'm interested to see if I have what it takes to deal with this sort of thing. He says goats are easy to care for, don't cost a lot, etc.

BUT, I also have a lot of projects pending, house things need doing and on and on. Thoughts?

shadamai 08-05-2013 12:00 AM

I know nothing of raising goats, but I have heard of businesses in the area renting them to keep their vegetation under control. I could use some for my backyard ;)

MisterMcCool 08-05-2013 12:06 AM

Goats smell like piss!

eatmydust 08-05-2013 12:07 AM

I hope to never own goats!

If SHTF, I will be looking for goats, the milk is palatable, their cheeses can be delish & I've eaten goat meat a couple of times, not my fav, but edible. They do seem to be very low maintenance!

clr8ter 08-05-2013 12:20 AM

LOL, while goats may indeed smell like piss, they certainly smell MUCH less than pigs. (That is NOT mud you're stepping in, BTW) You can't really even smell these goats unless you go inside their goat shed. And he has about 20.
Now, it also occurs to me that if SHTF, you're not going to find any available goats to buy, or at least certainly not for $100/pair.

MisterMcCool 08-05-2013 12:24 AM

Tuskegee University has a caprine research center. They have a cookout every so often. Goats stink, but taste great.

hiwall 08-05-2013 12:26 AM

You have a plan for your goats in the winter?

Kodeman 08-05-2013 12:33 AM

I bought one once to clear some back land and they do a pretty good job. Tied her up to a heavy rimmed truck tire that she could barely move. Every morning I would move the tire several feet for her to reach new vegetation. When the land was cleared I donated the goat to a (hands on) farm that catered to special needs programs.

KG7IL 08-05-2013 12:48 AM

Wethered Males are a piece of cake. (Neutered Males).
Bucks (Males with balls) can stink.
Does are fine.

Little work at all, Water . . . . . ..

Some Feed if the Browse is gone in Winter.

That's pretty easy. Try that with your kid's (I mean the human kind) Kid's are hard...... Goats are easy.

You can trim their hoofs and give shots about once a year ....

Gatoragn 08-05-2013 01:58 AM

Cabrito....