Getting Organized????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Getting Organized????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1241 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 2511

Default Getting Organized????

I'm getting ready to move and I figured this is the perfect time to get organized and get rid of some junk. At the same time there is that little voice in my head that always says "this could be useful for something", and it could be. The situation is even more complicated because I'm not set up how I want to be (large barn/workshop), and won't be for at least a few more years. And let's face it "prepping" is just another word for hoarding so getting rid of stuff can be tough. At the same time, I am a minimalist at heart and a tad OCD.

So what are some organization ideas? And this applies to absolutely everything from the workshop to guns.

I've got a small garden shed for lawn-care and garden tools. I've got a small shed for my wood working stuff and reloading. I've got 28'x12' shed that is just a tin roof with no walls for my table saw and other tools plus work benches. Now I've got to move all this stuff. At some point I want a large workshop/barn, but I'm not going to be were I'm moving to but for just a couple of years. So I need some ideas here.

And that's just the outside. The inside is another can of worms which I could also use some ideas for.

What are somethings that some of you have done that really made a difference for being organized?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7152 Times on 3916 Posts
Likes Given: 14495

If you uncover something you don't recognize, post a photo and let us guess what it is.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #3

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 636

Tough, huh? I like to hoard...I mean "save" stuff, too. Sometimes what I do, (with limited success) is say to myself, If you haven't touched it in 5 or 10 years, chuck it! Or just be honest. Are you REALLY going to use it? Also think that if it's any good, you can sell it and use the cash for something else. And also remember, "one man's trash is another man's treasure."
Just this weekend I picked up a Billy Goat lawn vacuum. (For free) It does have some slight issues, and if I can get it working I can use it or sell it. If not, it'll be down at the street under my FREE sign pretty quick.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I guess one of my biggest problems is that I have too many hobbies and not enough time. So I have a lot of stuff that doesn't get used near as much as I would like but it will get used in the future. I haven't done any wood working for awhile but I have several projects that can't wait to tackle when I get time, assuming that I'm not putting up veggies from the garden, or hunting, or working 70hrs a well like I am right now. So all my wood working stuff will be sitting for a while but it will get used again. The same goes for my many other hobbies.

I don't really keep a lot of any one thing but I keep a lot of many different things based on my many hobbies and projects. I just haven't figured out how to keep it all organized. For instance guns are one of my many hobbies, and we all know how much stuff you can end up with for your guns! I'm learning to just get rid of some things like rings and bases I've had for over 20 years, but I'm also constantly surprised at how often I end up using a screw from old set of bases or rings. I just haven't figured out how to keep it all organized!

Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Backpackers make three piles. Stuff you absolutely must have, stuff you need to have, and stuff you should have. Then we carry only the first.

Access is a main point here. If you are only going to use it only in SHTF than store it out of the way accordingly. That water purification system and spare filters. Long term storage food like cans of TVP, MRE's, buckets of rice and beans, etc. as long as they are safe from buggies and vermin. That pressure cooker with spare parts. Bulk ammo. Extra tents. Vacuum-packed spare emergency clothes and blankets for when there's no heat. Transceiver(s). Bulk TP. Sock 'em away! And go high! People tend not to use their vertical space -- get a quality stepstool if you don't have a small ladder. Get free or buy used shelving units (lotta stores are closing these days) or ones on sale to go up to the ceilings!

Intermediate term and fragile stuff keep closer on hand. Backup, emergency, medical supplies including meds and reference books. Emergency radio. Recyclable batteries and chargers including solar. Minimum defensive ammo.

Canned food and other things you might be rotating anyway keep at arms length as in the cupboard.

If you categorize things into Long Term, Short Term, and Power Failure you'll see what needs to go where pretty easily. Throw out stuff you truly do not need, but it won't be emergency stuff. Dispose of that thing that's sat there for 20 years knowing it has some value and you may want it for something some day -- sell it now and buy some gold now.

Inventory what you have! Try using your PC for more than a toy. Print out a couple of copies and put them in two separate spots. Write down on the boxes that include a layer of plastic inside if only a sealed dry-cleaner bag, what you have in it on three sides -- pick a top corner and write on all three sides that make it up what's in box with a Sharpie. Add inventory codes and put more detail on your PC lists: A1, ...2, ...3, B1, ...2, etc. By the way, inventorying lets you know how many calories of what you have and lets you buy what you need, not what you seem to recall and feel you need. PLAN!

Off the top of my head...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-12-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Dispose of that thing that's sat there for 20 years knowing it has some value and you may want it for something some day -- sell it now and buy some gold.
+1. Or silver, if that thing isn't worth $1450.......and he means gold (or silver) IN YOUR POSSESSION. Not a stock, or ETF, or some other BS promise......

Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Backpackers make three piles. Stuff you absolutely must have, stuff you need to have, and stuff you should have. Then we carry only the first.

Access is a main point here. If you are only going to use it only in SHTF than store it out of the way accordingly. That water purification system and spare filters. Long term storage food like cans of TVP, MRE's, buckets of rice and beans, etc. as long as they are safe from buggies and vermin. That pressure cooker with spare parts. Bulk ammo. Extra tents. Vacuum-packed spare emergency clothes and blankets for when there's no heat. Transceiver(s). Bulk TP. Sock 'em away! And go high! People tend not to use their vertical space -- get a quality stepstool if you don't have a small ladder. Get free or buy used shelving units (lotta stores are closing these days) or ones on sale to go up to the ceilings!

Intermediate term and fragile stuff keep closer on hand. Backup, emergency, medical supplies including meds and reference books. Emergency radio. Recyclable batteries and chargers including solar. Minimum defensive ammo.

Canned food and other things you might be rotating anyway keep at arms length as in the cupboard.

If you categorize things into Long Term, Short Term, and Power Failure you'll see what needs to go where pretty easily. Throw out stuff you truly do not need, but it won't be emergency stuff. Dispose of that thing that's sat there for 20 years knowing it has some value and you may want it for something some day -- sell it now and buy some gold now.

Inventory what you have! Try using your PC for more than a toy. Print out a couple of copies and put them in two separate spots. Write down on the boxes that include a layer of plastic inside if only a sealed dry-cleaner bag, what you have in it on three sides -- pick a top corner and write on all three sides that make it up what's in box with a Sharpie. Add inventory codes and put more detail on your PC lists: A1, ...2, ...3, B1, ...2, etc. By the way, inventorying lets you know how many calories of what you have and lets you buy what you need, not what you seem to recall and feel you need. PLAN!

Off the top of my head...
Great point about calories and inventorying!!!!

Good point about the attic as well. The first thing I did in my new house is instal a hidden staircase.

I do well with organizing on paper. I keep several spread sheets just for my guns including all of my ammo, dies, and reloading components. I've also done very well at actually keeping all of that organized. Where I get into trouble is with all of the miscellaneous stuff like batteries and chargers. Where exactly do you store old gun stocks, cases, cleaning supplies, and so on? It's easy to come up with a place if all you had to store and keep organized were old gun stocks and cases, but it gets tough when you start trying to figure out where to store all of that for many different hobbies. My hobbies include hunting, fishing, guns, woodworking, metal detecting and bottle hunting, gardening, golf, and guitar. Then there are all of the miscellaneous household hardware items.

Thanks for the ideas, and please keep them coming.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #8

Quote:
My hobbies include hunting, fishing, guns, woodworking, metal detecting and bottle hunting, gardening, golf, and guitar.
How on earth do you find the money, and more importantly, the time for all of those expensive hobbies? I have trouble with just guns, and woodworking. (Although I have many other interests.) My issues is the house. It takes up so much of my time. I wish we had a smaller, newer house, and more land.......

Old 05-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #9

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Touch things once. Don't put it aside and get back to it -- you'll end up sorting through them eight times before you finally do it right. So do it right the first time! A place for everything and everything in its place. Don't be this guy...

..."never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over"!

Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
How on earth do you find the money, and more importantly, the time for all of those expensive hobbies? I have trouble with just guns, and woodworking. (Although I have many other interests.) My issues is the house. It takes up so much of my time. I wish we had a smaller, newer house, and more land.......
Me and a friend went hunting this year for the first time in many years. He laughed at my camouflage because the pattern was 20 years old. He thought it was funny but his laughing made me extremely proud. I've always believed that you get high quality stuff, take care of it, and it will last you for many many years. That's exactly what my camo had done.

It doesn't cost much money to go hunting or do any of those other hobbies. What costs money is buying all of the toys for those hobbies, but once you buy those toys (I mean tools) they are paid for and last for many many years. So they really aren't that big of an expense. Where most people mess up is when they start believing that new toys will make them better. New toys aren't going to make you one bit better at any of those things. The only thing that makes you better is work and that doesn't cost a dime.

That same friend and I use to make an annual pilgrimage to the big Bass Pro Shop in Atlanta for their Christmas sale to stock up on things for the spring. Every year it would break my heart to cross over the lake on the way and not be out their on the water fishing. My friends never understood that. They wanted to buy toys for fishing and I just wanted to go fishing. Most people don't really enjoy doing whatever it is they do. They enjoy getting all the toys and thinking about whatever it is they want to do. That's what gets expensive.

Once a rifle is set up it shouldn't cost you hardly anything for the rest of your life. My guitar and amp are 20 years old but sound better than most new ones. My golf clubs were brand new in the box high dollar clubs and I got them for $200 off e-bay 10 years ago, and they will last for many many more years. And as for the camo, all the deer I killed last year didn't seem to notice it was no longer fashionable. So the expense really isn't an issue.

Now time is a whole different story that I'm not going to even think about. Right now is not normal, but normally I find time because I enjoy doing those things and I've always tried to use my time productively. Instead of playing Guitar Hero I spend my time improving on a real guitar. At one time my plant was next to a driving range so I would go hit golf balls on my lunch break (I miss that). Hunting puts meat in the freezer so I make time. Metal detecting and bottle hunting also produce things of value so that makes it a productive hobby worth finding time for (you should see the Pepsi bottle I found three months ago!). Well you get the idea.

My philosophy about buying things that last is also why trying to be organized is so important. I store my camo securely in heavy plastic bags. That's why it has lasted so long, but I have to have a place to store all of that stuff. I also have to be able to find it when I need it. And it's all the miscellaneous things that I have the hardest time with. All of that stuff has to be maintained in order to last and that means more stuff to keep up with.