Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Get Home Bag for wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Easy to overload. +100 on Lifesaver candy. Would skip soap, sanitizer can be used as firestarter. Add a pair of 72" bootlaces. Small, light, can be used to tie things to pack, rig blanket for shelter, or as a bootlace. Kershaw is good- but how about a Leatherman instead? Do not overdo food if this is a 3 day pack, although instant cocoa and instant oatmeal is light and small. Small amount of cash and coins (vending machines that may still work)

Edit:Toilet paper suggestion below is very good- or a couple of the pocket packs of Kleenex. Forgot- to first aid stash, include a few tablets of Immodium anti- diarrheal. Bad water/ bad food/ stress- and dehydration from that can kill you.
I completely agree. Do NOT overload her. Make her stick to your agreed evacuation route, then you go out and look for her, and bring her back.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #32

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Woody View Post
Good for you. Me and the misses just started on hers and our children's. Ours is definitely a Get The Hell out of The City Bag (GTHootCB) lol
There are 2 choices for the cityscape. Evac or stay in place.

It seems to me that everyone in the family should reunite first, which requires staying in place for a little while, at least until everyone gets back together.

The next consideration is that you don't want to evac during the monster traffic jam. That's when everyone else will get stuck, burn away all their gasoline, and then start shooting each other in the chaos.

Best thing is to load up on fuel, early on, while fuel is still available, then wait awhile for the traffic jam to un-jam. Then make your escape late in the night around 2 a.m. after a couple of days, bringing your fuel with you.

Note that gasoline cannot we stored well, it only stays mixed in your gas tank. It is an industrial blend of naptha which settles out with time. It thus decays within 6 months.

Diesel however can be stored indefinitely.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #33

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I suggest NOT including a firearm. The bag may lie around for a long time, in a trunk, or under a desk, etc. and you never know who might peak into the bag or even run off with it. Could be a child or a crook, neither of which we want to have unintended access to a firearm. In a trunk, a bag with a firearm could get you into a world of hurt if the car was searched by a LEO or even the guy at the car wash.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #34

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
I suggest NOT including a firearm. The bag may lie around for a long time, in a trunk, or under a desk, etc. and you never know who might peak into the bag or even run off with it. Could be a child or a crook, neither of which we want to have unintended access to a firearm. In a trunk, a bag with a firearm could get you into a world of hurt if the car was searched by a LEO or even the guy at the car wash.
Here in KS you can have a gun in a sealed container in a vehicle if you don't have a concealed carry permit. If you have a permit you can have one loaded in the vehicle within reach. A former state Attorney General ruled that he considered a ziploc bag a sealed container. I try not to have my bag in sight when leaving the vehicle unattended in an urban area. I use the trunk of the car, or the locked bed of my truck.

Before I would be comfortable with my wife having a gun on her person she needs much more training and experience. I'm not sure if she is even interested enough to put in the work.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #35
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

You might look into a small hand held taser/stungun. Hand held, you poke it against the BG and push button. Some are also a flashlight. They are cheap on ebay. I had to use the flashlight on mine last night.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #36
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I would also include in your wifes bag a 20+ mile 2 way radio , realistically these are good for about 8 miles in open country but you might be able to use them later , We have 4 of these one for each member in our family , you never know when your going to need them
Good luck with that. The ranges on the bubble-pack walkie-talkies are pure fantasy. You might be able to squeeze a mile reliably out of them, maybe two miles in the right conditions. I get maybe 5 miles with my handheld CB and I could probably get more with a proper antenna tuning.

HAM is probably the way to go and a Tech license isn't too demanding to prep for.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #37

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

You are exactly right about women. They are emotional creatures, for the most part, and if they don't want to face something they put it completely out of their minds.

Your best bet is to plan an evacuation route with her, so that you know where to find her, so you two can reunite, at least.

Indeed. She has enough "stuff" to get her to a safe meeting place. As much as I love and trust my wife, she'll never carry a gun. Less lethal means of dropping a BG down, you bet. She hates guns, but she does know how to use one, and safe handling. I trust her, I just ani't dumb.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #38

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Thanks for all the replies. I have gotten some good ideas that I wouldn't have thought of until it was too late to do anything about without y'all chiming in. I need to force myself to think like she would instead of how I would behave or act.

We are very compatible, but very different people. She came out here to the boonies after growing up in and around KC. I ran up and down the creek building forts and shelters from the time I was allowed out of the house. My friends and I would spend Christmas break from school camping without tents, relying on our .22's and shotguns to feed us. My wife will camp primitively, but does not care for it much. She will hike, but is a follower. She is always in condition white where I'm usually not lower than yellow unless at home.
Big thumbs up for these tidbits:
Evacuation/travel route- Need to develop these for various situations. Teach her to stay off of roads and not trust everyone she sees.

Communications-FRS/GMRS radios with set frequecies and contact times when there is an emergency.

Stungun/bad guy zapper-would be an unexpected danger to someone messing with her.

Hard candy-I carry some in my vehicle all the time and have some in my pack. Didn't give a thought to putting some in hers.

Implied but not stated-Maps-I have travelled all over the state and know the main roads and most county roads for counties around me. My wife is good only with the main state and fed highways. Need to figure how to make a Gazeteer map small and waterproof.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #39
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

PHX-900 7.8 Million Volt Stun Gun Self Defense LED Flashlight Rechargeable | eBay
I have seen these at gun shows for $40. $9 on Ebay shipped.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #40
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7344 Times on 4258 Posts
Likes Given: 9463

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
A former state Attorney General ruled that he considered a ziploc bag a sealed container
I can only imagine if a LEO were to find a gun in a ziplock bag on you or in your car it would go badly for you. Isn't that how they store evidence, or maybe a "throwaway gun" used to plant evidence? Just sayin'.