Get Home Bag for wife - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Get Home Bag for wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

In the ways of a firearm what I did for my dads truck was get him a flare gun at walmart for $30 and then we got a flare gun .22 cal slide in to make it a .22pistol aswell. That way he has a flare gun and pistol. Light and cheap ammo (can carry a LOT) plus you eliminate the need for carrying both. Flares can be used for signaling, defense, and to start a fire and with the .22 slide in you can get some dinner or have defense. The slide in was $40 and weighs no more than a flare

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 01-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2180 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I have a J fram S&W 640 that I think I can get her to handle all right. It'll shoot .38 or .357. When I got it she remarked that it was a gun she thought she could shoot. She just hasn't gone out with me to shoot since I picked it up at the end of last summer.
The 640 would work fine. I was trying to keep it as light as possible. I would still give her the 38spl +P loads to manage recoil. The 357 would add some power and availability to the ammo supply. If you or she wants an auto, I would look at the Kahr CW9. Not badly priced and very good quality with a nice trigger. Much better than that P11. I traded my P11 and $300 OTD for a new XD45 compact and then took advantage of the XD promo for 3 free mags.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #13

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I would also include in your wifes bag a 20+ mile 2 way radio , realistically these are good for about 8 miles in open country but you might be able to use them later , We have 4 of these one for each member in our family , you never know when your going to need them

Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #14

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I would also include in your wifes bag a 20+ mile 2 way radio , realistically these are good for about 8 miles in open country but you might be able to use them later , We have 4 of these one for each member in our family , you never know when your going to need them
My buddy and I have been talking about using GMRS radios for just this purpose. We have a set already as well as a pair of FRS. We don't carry them in the vehicles, though. Need to change that. I almost always have my fire department hand held radio with me. If repeaters are up I can be a up to 60 miles from home and have commo. Without repeaters it is just line of sight, probably no more than 5 or 6 miles depending on terrain.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9203 Times on 3971 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Easy to overload. +100 on Lifesaver candy. Would skip soap, sanitizer can be used as firestarter. Add a pair of 72" bootlaces. Small, light, can be used to tie things to pack, rig blanket for shelter, or as a bootlace. Kershaw is good- but how about a Leatherman instead? Do not overdo food if this is a 3 day pack, although instant cocoa and instant oatmeal is light and small. Small amount of cash and coins (vending machines that may still work)

Edit:Toilet paper suggestion below is very good- or a couple of the pocket packs of Kleenex. Forgot- to first aid stash, include a few tablets of Immodium anti- diarrheal. Bad water/ bad food/ stress- and dehydration from that can kill you.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 01-15-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

May I also recommend some toilet paper? I found a nice compact size in Walmart's camping section which I keep in my get home bag.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8583 Times on 4957 Posts
Likes Given: 11147

Get licensed for amateur radio. Your handheld can reach out a long ways depending on conditions. We have both mobile in the vehicles and handhelds on board as well. Just tonight I was talking to a guy on a handheld from Seaside, a distance of somewhere around 30 miles. That was pretty much line of sight.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #18

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Toilet paper is on the list. Probably a travel package of moist wipes, too. Having a sense of cleanliness will give my wife a big boost in her morale. I have learned this through many camping trips. I have Immodiur that I purchased a while back for my bag. I just need to get a container made up for her and put some in it.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #19

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Charmin makes little camping kits that are about a half roll without the cardboard tube, the come in a handy little semi rigid plastic case.

Personally, I don't like charmin, it leaves dingle berries.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2180 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 643

A hatchet with a belt sheath is one of the best survival tools you can have. I would take a hatchet over a knife if I had to choose one or the other. A hatchet and small knife over a large knife.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.