Get Home Bag for wife
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Get Home Bag for wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Get Home Bag for wife

I'm putting together a GHB for my wife to keep in the car with her. It is much more difficult than the one I did for myself. I have to keep in mind that she is much smaller than I am and unfortunately does not have the same outdoor skillsets and experience that I do. Training is definitely needed.

The rationale for this is that a catastrophe or unrest could prevent her from returning home while she is traveling. Typically she only drives three miles to work and back. At times she can be as far as three hours away because of her job. Having a small store of food, water, means of providing shelter, change of clothing, light, heat, first aid kit, and water purification is necessary for her to make it home or to stay alive in inclimate weather.

Because she in only 5'4" I got her a small pack that has padded shoulder straps, sternum strap, and waist belt. These features make hauling a load much more comfortable. I was surprised and pleased that while I was packing the supplies I have gotten so far that she came to me with a handful of feminine supplies. The girl has some smarts! My goal is to make it possible for her to make it for at least three days with the food included.
Here is a list of what I have gotten so far.

Explorer pack with four compartments and water bladder pouch.
4 Mainstay food bars 400 calorie each, assorted flavors
5 instant cocoa packets
1 each beef and chicken Ramen Noodle pack.
Eat'n Tool combination spork
Compact headlamp with 10 hour battery life. Need to pack spare 2023 batteries.
Compact shovel for digging a Dakota fire pit or covering waste.
Portable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide tabs. Each tablet purifies one quart of water.
Feminine napkins.
US Army first aid kit
Emergency blanket (mylar).
Waterproof matches
Magnesium fire starter
Kershaw folding knife
Can of Pepper Foam spray
Small bottle of hand sanitizer
Small bottle of liquid camp soap
2 US Army triangular bandages (cravats)
1 pint stainless steel bottle
Box of Trioxane bars
3 large trash bags

There are some things I don't have yet, on the list so far is a one quart canteen with cup and canteen stove. Freeze dried meals. Instant coffee and sugar. She needs to pack a couple pairs of socks, change of underwear, a pair of comfortable and rugged pants, and her hiking boots.

Next time I'm in a surplus store or gun show I'll get her a couple of Combat Casualty blankets. These are way stronger than the mylar emergency blankets with reflective on one side and OD on the other. They have grommets and can make an excellent shelter. I know there is more to do and I'm working on it. I'm glad she is onboard with this. She has thanked me a couple of times already for doing this, makes me feel like she has gotten away from being a sheep. Now I need to work harder on getting her comfortable with a handgun. I have two that are small and would work well as defense weapons that would pack easily. I'm currently packing my Keltec P11 in my GHB. The trouble is keeping is fairly light, hopefully below 25 pounds or so.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #2

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Good for you. Me and the misses just started on hers and our children's. Ours is definitely a Get The Hell out of The City Bag (GTHootCB) lol

Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Thanks for posting this. You've given me some good ideas...I'm trying to put together a GHB for my wife, too.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

great idea...a battery powered radio (9v), emergency cash, gloves, scarf, hat and sun glasses might all come in handy as well.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

How bout a gun

Old 01-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
great idea...a battery powered radio (9v), emergency cash, gloves, scarf, hat and sun glasses might all come in handy as well.
That's the problem, the list can keep growing until you can't carry it. In my bag I didn't learn to quit and it is a load. Hopefully it can stay in the truck and get driven. If I have to haul it I might ditch some things depending on the season/weather.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
That's the problem, the list can keep growing until you can't carry it. In my bag I didn't learn to quit and it is a load. Hopefully it can stay in the truck and get driven. If I have to haul it I might ditch some things depending on the season/weather.
Or force yourself to rotate things seasonally...that also helps to ensure that all batteries and other perishables are fresh and up-to-date.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A roll or two of Life-Savers candy. Simple, inexpensive, and they keep for practically ever. These simple candies can relieve some of the stress that goes with a disaster. Even a short relief of stress can lead to better and potentially life-saving clear thinking.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1973 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Look at a 38 spl revolver like the LCR. Add a few speed strips and a box of Critical Defense.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Look at a 38 spl revolver like the LCR. Add a few speed strips and a box of Critical Defense.
I have a J fram S&W 640 that I think I can get her to handle all right. It'll shoot .38 or .357. When I got it she remarked that it was a gun she thought she could shoot. She just hasn't gone out with me to shoot since I picked it up at the end of last summer.