'Get Away' Vehicle Of Choice? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 'Get Away' Vehicle Of Choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have a 2003 Jeep Rubicon with a Detroit rear diff, the front diff is still controled by air, running on 35" X 12.50" X 15" Super Swampers and puling a 1973 Stevens M-416 for any "extra" stuff like extra ammo, gas, and food

Jim

Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine is also an older Jeep Cherokee. It is pretty reliable and I know it inside out. Many parts are exchangeable with other Jeeps and several Dodge vehicles if you know what you need then you are a step ahead of the guy who always has to go to a mechanic. There may be NO mechanics around.
As far as tools I keep a pretty full toolbox in my Jeep to repair what needs repairing as well as most common parts that would break on the trail like u-joints, axles, belts and hoses. There is ample storage both inside and on the roofrack. It has a winch to extract itself or others and it also can be easily rigged to sleep in if needed.

Last edited by BlueXJ; 12-14-2007 at 09:37 AM. Reason: additions

Old 12-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine is supposed to be delivered in early January. 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I'm looking forward to it, although I've read they may be offering a diesel version in 2009. That might have been a better choice long-term.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
Mine is supposed to be delivered in early January. 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I'm looking forward to it, although I've read they may be offering a diesel version in 2009. That might have been a better choice long-term.
Great! Now hop on over to Jeepforum.com and start reading about the jeep addiction and the Jeep wave.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
Jeeps can be a worse obsession than guns. They definitely get in the way of each other when it comes time to budget extra money.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Mazda Miata

Silly me but I like my little red Miata for a weekend get away.
Now if you are talking all gloom and doom end of the world stuff - well I like my John Deere Gator. Sips gas (with a lawnmower engine no less), will haul a good load, pulls a half ton trailer, and will power through anything I will ever run into.
John Q.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #17

Old 12-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #18

Default transportation

what nobody mentioned was battery.the old cars with generator could be push started and run without a battery.or at least a dead one.new cars wount run with dead battery.
an older toyota pickup.why?they very seldom need repairs.my 95 tercel[not a pickup]has never been repaired brakes and tires only.

Last edited by WILDCATT; 12-24-2007 at 01:02 AM. Reason: add

Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984cj View Post
Great! Now hop on over to Jeepforum.com and start reading about the jeep addiction and the Jeep wave.
Cool, thanks..I'm over on Jeepforum.com too but mostly lurking so far. My Jeep is in D1 status so it shouldn't be long now.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:43 PM   #20

Default escape transportation.

We have only one choice, a 1987 Iszusu Trooper. Suck gas like it was feed with a funnel. One thing people need to remember is that highway gas milage wont cut it. Off road or stop and go get out of the area will cut highway milage by half. Now if you are carry gas it can be used in a coleman stove if it is no or very low lead gas, done it for years, carry it outside of the car. Our roof rack is factory and rated at 100 pounds. Placing a sheet of plywood would help spread the weight so a few more pounds could be added. Dog and some things fit in the back with two up front and one in the back we still have room for some food stocks.

Pulling a trailer cuts milage as does a large stack of things on the roof. An aerodynmamic box helps.

Living where we live escape via paved roads is not an options and the hills here are vertical. Sit tight and pray a lot.

Oz