You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

'Get Away' Vehicle Of Choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 02:43 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

'Get Away' Vehicle Of Choice? - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

+winch.

"Rosie O'Donnell blames guns for murders, but nobody blames spoons and forks for Rosie O'Donnell"

Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #102

forget the roads that's a big internet survival group fantasy. Plane might work if there aren't shoot on site command by air guard which if nuke goes off
I would expect curfews, shoot on sight anything breaking curfew including cars boats and planes.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:38 AM   #103

Default course correction for wrench

I am sorry 'AR HAMMER' i meant 'RFI Radio Frequency Interference', this is like an EMP that is constant and not anywhere as powerful, but still destructive to 5 volt IC chip function.

I did not mean Electro Motive Force EMF produced by hydro electric dams, batteries, commutatored generators and or rectified alternators, i was too tired to catch that mistaken typo while proof reading, i only seen "EM" LOL! I just couldn't understand why you explained so much stuff until i read the beginning.

However the Iranian weapon.
The impression i received was they are just using 'EMP' as a general term, their weapon is supposed to last for years to come. So instead of an instant, we will have half life time expectancy to deal with.

Again i am sorry for the mistake.
sincerely wrench

<striving to enter at the narrow gate>

Old 10-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #104

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I have spent the last few months redoing a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser. This is my get away vehicle of choice. The 1991-1993 Land Cruiser uses a Toyota tractor motor (3FE) and will run forever. It is full time 4 wheel drive and will go just about anywhere. I love it, and would recomend one to everybody.
101_1274small.jpg  

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #105

Well situation being that my beloved ford explorer was totalled about 3 months ago, i'd go with its replacement-- 2007 ford escape. Yeah i know it looks a little feminine, but the 4.0L engine gets well above 20mpg and it has a suprising amount of room in the back and a sturdy roof rack.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #106

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My bug out truck. Canvas cover, 4X4, regular gas, conventional ignition, no electronics.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #107

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

hummer h1 alpha that is what i want, but since i dont have 110,000 bucks lying around i would take one of those new jeep wrangler extended beds, think those look pretty nice. plus they kinda remind me of a mini hummer

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #108
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAREAGLE View Post

+winch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
hummer h1 alpha that is what i want, but since i dont have 110,000 bucks lying around i would take one of those new jeep wrangler extended beds, think those look pretty nice. plus they kinda remind me of a mini hummer
Either of you guys ever actually driven a HMMWV?

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #109

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have to say that a HMMWV would be about the last vehicle I would want. They are simply too wide to be practical in many parts of North America. You will want something narrow and maneuverable for backroads. Additionally it may have great capability on paper or when backed with an endless supply of parts and the know how to fix them as the military does, but in terms of any of us on our own, they are pretty complex vehicles if something were to fail. Correction, when something fails. In a SHTF scenario we will likely be using low quality fuel and maintaining them with only basic tools, so something will inevitably go wrong with even the most durable and reliable vehicle.

The bottom line for me is that I will have a bug out vehicle, but I will always keep the contingency of being stranded on foot in the back of my mind. Pack in a way that you can grab your gear and leave your vehicle if you need to. The way I see it a vehicle will be a luxury in a SFTF scenario, so don't rely on having one.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #110

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Being as how I drive a 4-cylinder 2-door coupe, my SHTF getaway vehicle is going to be the Shoelace Express....