Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 'Get Away' Vehicle Of Choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 'Get Away' Vehicle Of Choice?

I am a 'Trail Jeeper', and I have several Jeeps, including pick-up trucks, wagons and early CJ Jeeps, so I pretty much know what works both on and off road.

What I was wondering is what the rest of you may have or may want for a 'Get Away' vehicle?
I like weekend 'Get Aways' where we trail ride, practice trail craft and camp craft. I believe it's all in good fun, and is good training in the event I ever have to run for my life.

Some other considerations are things like,

Fuel Efficiency.
A big, wicked 'Carry Everything' APC might be nice for the first 30 miles or so, but what are you going to do for fuel?

Fuel Type.
Some vehicles are VERY picky about what fuel they will and won't accept!
The big supercharged/turbocharged/high output engines may look good now, but what will you do if premium fuels are not available?

Something to think about is a diesel will run on about any kind of diesel, and it will run on vegetable oil in a pinch.
Diesels are easily modified to run on propane or diesel also, so you can use either/both.

With a little more work, gasoline engine vehicles can be readied to run propane also.

Propane stores very well, will be available in remote areas (everyone out in the 'boonies' has a propane tank) and is cost effective.

EMP/EMI/RFI hardened.
Lots of the newer computer controlled vehicles are very easily knocked out of service by projected electrical discharge energy.
Older vehicles with 'Primitive' electrical systems and 'Hardened' vehicles won't have that problem.

Size Vs. Storage.
Very large vehicles are great for storage, but they are cumbersome on back roads and trails, and usually turn out to be top heavy...

Tires & Running Gear.
Some guys have vehicles that will go nearly anywhere.
These are usually hand built hybrids that take some very specialized parts, like monster tires that won't be available, odd application or special built drive shafts, U joints and things...
A set of 15" rims and you will always be able to find tires of some kind for them,
A set of 'Normal' size truck tires and you will normally be able to find a replacement tire that is at least close!

Engines and Drive Train Parts.
Some of us have older engines that parts no longer grow on trees.
Some guys swap in very common Chevy or Ford engines, and they will be able to find parts anywhere/everywhere for years to come.
Any farmer's back lot or junk yard will be a treasure trove of spares!

Simple Is Always Better.
A simple vehicle will always be a better choice in the 'SHTF' events.
A vehicle with carb instead of fuel injection,
A vehicle with distributor over computer controlled ignition,
A vehicle with stand alone charging & starting systems will be easier to work on in the event of failures.

An enclosed vehicle will always be more comfortable than a open vehicle...
IE, Hard top wagon vs. open jeep or quad, even though the quad or small jeep may get better fuel mileage and be more off road capable.
(Nothing like having a warm, dry place when there is freezing drizzle!)

Having a pretty common vehicle (Jeep, 4x4 half size truck, 4x4 wagon, ect.) you will be able to get parts for it now, and you will be able to afford extra parts for your 'Trail Fix' box!
-------------

Anyway, I've written enough, let's hear your thoughts on the situation, and maybe even some pictures!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'll stick with my Jeep Cherkoee and hope that the evil EMPs don't fry the electronics. It is mostly stock, with some 30" mud tires. I average a little shy of 20 MPG, so it isn't too bad a gas hog. Parts are cheap and easy to come by and it'll carry enough crap to live off of for a few weeks. I can get the beast to go anywhere that I need to be.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:32 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
What I was wondering is what the rest of you may have or may want for a 'Get Away' vehicle?
Quote:
EMP/EMI/RFI hardened.
I am vulnerable to EMP but in an EOTWAWKI I can probably find a early 70's AMC 232 I-6 engine that I can swipe the Distributor and coil from

Quote:
Size Vs. Storage.
It's just me and the wife. I can pack a fair amount of crap in my CJ and it's easy to maneuver on road and off road.
Quote:
Tires & Running Gear.
Stock size rims but over sized tires. I'll just have to find 2 of whatever tire i need

Quote:
Engines and Drive Train Parts.
Some of us have older engines that parts no longer grow on trees.
The AMC 258 is still pretty plentiful in junkyards and farmer fields. It is has tractor engine reliability.

Quote:
Simple Is Always Better.
About the only way to get more simple with my CJ would be to change the ignition system to points. Only thing is I like not having to deal with points

Old 09-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #4

In this country, If you wanted/needed something that would do all you needed and have lots of parts available, It's gotta be some sort of land rover I know lots of people who use these for shooting and off roading.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 AM   #5

Land Rover is the UK's version of the 'Jeep'...
I liked Land Rovers (lots of them in the middle east in the mid 80's) but you would be hard pressed to find parts for them here in the US.

Older Jeeps (The AMC kind) are getting kind of scarce.
Newer jeeps are everywhere, but they are electronic.
Not that fuel injection is a bad thing, just that most people are limited on what they can do with it if something goes wrong.

Over here, jeeps and 'mini' trucks (what we call 'mini' the rest of the world just calls 'trucks') would probably be the best choice.
Fuel efficient with standard parts, large enough to carry a lot of supplies with out being a huge target and top heavy...

Last edited by AR Hammer; 09-17-2007 at 02:14 AM.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:40 AM   #6

my "get away" vehicle is my 2000 tj, lifted on 33" swampers with a locked front end.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:59 AM   #7

Toyota 4 runner 2005....with roof racks...

Old 11-20-2007, 02:45 AM   #8

Default Lead shield

New and browsing - has any of you thought of using a plate of lead on any parts that would be vunerable to efi? We all have had x-rays where they put a veil of lead over you.
What would you protect and how thick a piece of lead? Any car guys out there? Lead is pretty pliable and cheap.
BTW - I too think mpg's trump about anything followed closely by parts.
Good topic.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #9

Mine are an 89 Wrangler and a 92 Cherokee. My wife and i both drive them and we have made several trips using both. It's a good combination of carrying capacity and off road performance.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:47 AM   #10

Default Bug out vehicle

I guess there is no perfect choice, but this is what I came up with, I have a large family so I sport a 2002 Dodge Durango with the 5.9 it has everything you could think of as at one time it became an obsession of mine just ran out of things to do to it, it will stay on the paved roads till I have no other choice!!! I also have YZ 465 J (Dirt Bike) that is as clean as the day I bought it, this will be very useful to get from point A to point B, there is not to much you cannot get through on a dirt bike, for the winter I have two old Arctic cat 6000 sleds that are in tip top condition, and ready to go!!! currently looking for old Durango for a beater truck for hunting and fishing.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!