Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Generators and fuel storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 132 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
I deal with small engines everyday '' boats and atv '' . I can tell you right now , stabile will not hold fuel for a year . Gas is by far the worse furl type , ng or propane would be best since it does not degrade or gum up fuel components .
Best thing to do is to drain the carburetor after each use , not run it out of gas.
When ever a storm hits I get swamped with generators and the main culprit is fuel issues , second it rust forming on th ignition coil and flywheel at the magnet. Low oil shut downs have caused a few issues but not that common .
I have those big inverters that followed me home that I need to wire up and a have a load of generators . I will keep fuel for about a year then if no storms come I drain it or burn it out and put fresh in with ez store ez start , it has a built in wax or fogging oil to coat the internals from rusting . And I put a good 2 cycle engine oil in with it , it keeps thing lubed and my 2 cents it helps fight varnish . IT WILL NOT DAMAGE THE ENGINE !
Best back up plan you can have is to learn how to remove , tear down and clean the carburetor on you unit JIC . They are VERY VERY SIMPLE, dont use carb cleaner , use purple power as it work 100 x better than the expensive harsh cleaners . Its all I use to clean out ALL my fuel systems on my customers boats and other toys .
If you have one close by , go to your local scrap metal yards as alot of these toothless thieving jacklegs will steal and sell a usable generator for scrap metal or copper but note that the crank shaft on genny motors is 99% of the time made for gennys , its long and tapered so keep that in mind if you plant to build one .
AND BE SURE TO TURN OFF THE MAIN TO PREVENT BACK FEEDING INTO THE GRID
I agree with you about gas, NG works well. It's when the SHTF fuel deliveries will be nonexistant........darkness and a siphon hose......