Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Generators and fuel storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 713 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
So what's the matter with Generac? I got one, and like it. You seem to be in the minority not liking them......my single complaint so far is that they seem to be a little loud for a premium brand. Not a big deal, though, since there is a garage between it and the rest of the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3 View Post
When the Generac service company I went to work for, sent me to their generjunk service class to learn about their machines, I got a firsthand look at the crap I would be working on and promptly quit. Went to work for Kohler.
Generac, oh maybe 7-8 years ago had a management change, sold of some
of there smaller equipment mfr. to Briggs and Stratton; Powerwashers and
small gennies. There were rumors this was done to pay off debt to B&S. I
worked for a company that supplied those plants even helped move and set
a tube mill in the Jefferson, WI plant. I would have to back up Jack opinion
that the newer Generac equipment is not as good as the older production.
If you have older equipment you are better off.

But as posted I went a different route with my generator, Miller Electric,
another good cheesehead company. My newer genny has a Kubota my
previous genny had a Kohler, both very good engines with great reputations.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #52

Liked 652 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Well, like most things in life, this is a compromise. I'd LOVE a Kubota Generator. I once worked at a gravel quarry that had some 3 cyl. Kubota stick welders. Those things were super small, SUPER quiet, never got serviced, (apparently), very reliable, and great on fuel. But I just cannot afford one. (Particularly for the amount of use it gets.) Generac is still way above the quality you find at the auto parts stores, Costco, Walmart, ect. I'm happy with mine. They guy at the equipment store I bought it from said they don't see an awful lot of them come back in.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Well, like most things in life, this is a compromise. I'd LOVE a Kubota Generator. I once worked at a gravel quarry that had some 3 cyl. Kubota stick welders. Those things were super small, SUPER quiet, never got serviced, (apparently), very reliable, and great on fuel. But I just cannot afford one. (Particularly for the amount of use it gets.) Generac is still way above the quality you find at the auto parts stores, Costco, Walmart, ect. I'm happy with mine. They guy at the equipment store I bought it from said they don't see an awful lot of them come back in.
Bought my first welder generator in 96 or 97, got the first Trailblazer in 04
it was the gasser. Just got the diesel. Just keep saving the pennies!!!

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #54

What's the cost on that? If I'm not mistaken, that machine you just bought new goes for around $10K. My only hope on that would be to convince the boss that I could weld and make some money to pay it back. That would be a pretty far stretch. That machine does Stick, Mig & Tig, right? Also, if I'm not mistaken, it needs added accessories to do all 3.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
What's the cost on that? If I'm not mistaken, that machine you just bought new goes for around $10K. My only hope on that would be to convince the boss that I could weld and make some money to pay it back. That would be a pretty far stretch. That machine does Stick, Mig & Tig, right? Also, if I'm not mistaken, it needs added accessories to do all 3.
www.millerwelds.com shows only MSRP, the real price in less than that.
I have a really good local distributor. SJ Smith, Co., the store I deal with is
in Streator, IL but they are based out of the Quad Cities.

Generally, most distributors discount 20-24% off MSRP. I got the GCFI
model I paid $8050 and sold my old machine to a friend for $2000. If you
are not getting at least 20% off list, walk away, you can get a better deal.
I know my discount I can quote myself.

When I was running my welding business. My goal was to have all 300 amp
machines. That will take care of almost all welding needed except real
heavy work, like bridges and shipyard. I had need to run 600 amp machine
in the Navy with 1/4" rod, it is not real fun running those high amp
operations.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

I would love to have a diesel genny but to be quite honest with you Im just glad I have the one I have , that it works perfectly , runs most every essential in my house and starts up 2nd pull every time

Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I would love to have a diesel genny but to be quite honest with you Im just glad I have the one I have , that it works perfectly , runs most every essential in my house and starts up 2nd pull every time
Pull???!?!?!

BTW, your avatar is very distracting...

Old 12-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Pull???!?!?!

BTW, your avatar is very distracting...
Yup poor mans turn key

Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #59

Liked 860 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 482

I deal with small engines everyday '' boats and atv '' . I can tell you right now , stabile will not hold fuel for a year . Gas is by far the worse furl type , ng or propane would be best since it does not degrade or gum up fuel components .
Best thing to do is to drain the carburetor after each use , not run it out of gas.
When ever a storm hits I get swamped with generators and the main culprit is fuel issues , second it rust forming on th ignition coil and flywheel at the magnet. Low oil shut downs have caused a few issues but not that common .
I have those big inverters that followed me home that I need to wire up and a have a load of generators . I will keep fuel for about a year then if no storms come I drain it or burn it out and put fresh in with ez store ez start , it has a built in wax or fogging oil to coat the internals from rusting . And I put a good 2 cycle engine oil in with it , it keeps thing lubed and my 2 cents it helps fight varnish . IT WILL NOT DAMAGE THE ENGINE !
Best back up plan you can have is to learn how to remove , tear down and clean the carburetor on you unit JIC . They are VERY VERY SIMPLE, dont use carb cleaner , use purple power as it work 100 x better than the expensive harsh cleaners . Its all I use to clean out ALL my fuel systems on my customers boats and other toys .
If you have one close by , go to your local scrap metal yards as alot of these toothless thieving jacklegs will steal and sell a usable generator for scrap metal or copper but note that the crank shaft on genny motors is 99% of the time made for gennys , its long and tapered so keep that in mind if you plant to build one .
AND BE SURE TO TURN OFF THE MAIN TO PREVENT BACK FEEDING INTO THE GRID

Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.
Blessed is the man who's quiver is full
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #60

LOL, that's a lot of info.

Quote:
stabile will not hold fuel for a year
+1 I have also heard it's better to drain the carb rather than run it out. Is Purple Power on of those household cleaners you find at the grocery store or is it the jug of concentrate that you mix with water, probably found at an industrial supply place? You forgot to mention that a lot of the newer carbs nowadays have no adjustments. At least not on simpler machines like generators, lawnmowers & snowblowers. If the carb is too messed up it's a throw-away item.