Generators and fuel storage - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Generators and fuel storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #31
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

I'm second to the last house on our Power feed, furthest from the Distribution station, we lose power 10 times a year or more and I use the Generator about half of those, mostly when its cold.

I have a 5K Troybuilt that I keep very little fuel in and always shut the fuel off and run it dry. Its always hooked to the house, all I have to do is throw the mains in my Emergency Sub Panel and the Grid and non essentials all drop off the load. Always starts right up, runs only my Emergency circuits in the house that include some lighting, TV/ Sat/ Radio, boiler/ water heat, water pump, kitchen outlets, workshop, Freezer and Fridge. Can't run the fridge, freezer and water pump at the same time but thats not a big deal, between the 90 gallon indirect water heater and 20 in the pressure tanks, I can go some time without kicking on the pump if I had to.

We use very little power as a rule anyways, 5K (6.5 surge) can go a long way if your not an NRG hog. I usually keep 10 gallons around with 5 empty cans ready to be filled 1 mile down the road if the SHTF. Push comes to shove, I have three vehicles with 25 to 50 more gallons and a pump to siphon it out. That could run me intermittently for a couple months if nothing were available to replenish, after that, IDK, IDC, were probably toast anyways.

If I ever rethink my plan, I will get a big rhino LP Tank and either convert the generator I have now or get a propane generator. I cook with LP and its hooked to my grill, at least its a reasonably stable way of storing quantity, I can transport smaller tanks mysef if need be and I do use the stuff every day so its not like the MRE's in my basement!

Those big generators are fuel hungry buggers and when they break down after a few months of running hard, replacing them in a crisis will be much tougher and expensive. 5K is cheap!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 12-12-2012 at 11:17 PM.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #32

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I have a 3500 running watt generator. It will run my fridge, my deep freeze and the lights and a few other things too. It will run 16 hours on a tank. I keep it full and a 5 gan can for back up. I have used it during power outages. It does a good job. I just use a pig tail and a few extention cords to plug everything in. I also have a propane powered heater that is safe for indoor use. In an emergency I would only run the generator for about 10-15 minutes every hour or so. That will keep the fridge and freezer at proper temp. Why burn gas if you dont need to? I have a ryob tool set with a flashlight. I have 6 batteries for that equipment. Plus I have a 26 foot travel trailer next to my house. Propane tanks are full. And batteries are charged. If needed we could live in the camper for a week without any outside power.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Got a 6800 watt gen that runs about a gallon of gasoline an hour. Of course only run it during the day when you can see for a long distance for any criminals wanting to steal it. DO NOT RUN YOUR GENERATOR AT NIGHT! I recently read somewhere that the new trick for criminals is to steal your lawn mower and put it by your generator with the engine running, then steal your generator. The lawn mower sounds similar in sound while you are sleeping at night.

That being said, the best way to store a generator IMO is to empty all the gas out of it, fill it a little with some stabilized fuel, and then run it dry. Helps to protect that little bit of gas in the carburetor from gunking up. Of course you could just go for a diesel but then you will be paying twice as much for the same wattage and diesel engines put out more lower frequency noise which will carry further.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 193

at a minimum, marine grade stabil. I'm using aces IV which is also a fuel stabilizer http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/931760.htm

you can never have enough generator, nor enough fuel, and they work against each other.

I like gen distribution panels, because it forces you to turn circuits on and off to balance the loads and limit usage.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

If you are mechanically savvy, look on some of the government auction websites. You can pick up some generators capable of powering your home for the same price as what you would buy at home depot

Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #36

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

If you go out and start it up and let it run for a couple minutes once every couple of months or so the carb wont gum up. It is good peice of mind just to hear it run now and then anyway.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
If you go out and start it up and let it run for a couple minutes once every couple of months or so the carb wont gum up. It is good peice of mind just to hear it run now and then anyway.
Good Advise, still use fuel stabilizer, and running gas engines do the carb is
dry is also a good preventive measure. Alcohol in fuel is hell on seals and
can for acids in storage if any moisture is present.

I try to run all my gas engines once a month, (no it does not always happen)
but I try. Also for cold weather starting a true synthetic motor oil like
Amsoil or Mobil 1 (lower pour point) will make starting easier.

Picked up my new Welder/Generator last night! Christmas came early!!!

The one on the left is the new one the one on the right is my old one, I
delivered it to its new owner (a friend) last night.
small-img_0040.jpg   small-img_0042.jpg  

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #38

Liked 985 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

That is badass! I see they do not have a jealous smiley......

Quote:
If you are mechanically savvy, look on some of the government auction websites. You can pick up some generators capable of powering your home for the same price as what you would buy at home depot
I repeatedly hear about such things, but have never got a direct link of any kind to one. Do you have any tips or info on how to find the auctions or surplus sales?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #39

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
That is badass! I see they do not have a jealous smiley......

I repeatedly hear about such things, but have never got a direct link of any kind to one. Do you have any tips or info on how to find the auctions or surplus sales?

Try www.purplewave.com its mostly vehicles and tractors but occasionally equipment.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #40

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

one of our retailers we sell product to got something new he offered to give me to try , says you can store fuel for up to 2 yrs , Star Brite Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment . Says it literally eats varnish from fuel left in carbs, and truns crap fuel back into usable fuel .

Last edited by purehavoc; 12-14-2012 at 07:59 PM.