Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Generators and fuel storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

i have a 250 gal drum barrel full of gas electric pump on it use it for trucks tractors use it for gernerators and such if needed get fuel from harvestland co=op

Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #12

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just bought a Briggs 6500W gen and I am currently up to 40 gallons of stored gas. I plan on installing a tri-fuel kit on the generator which will allow me to run it on natural gas, propane and gasoline which is the best of all worlds. When that's installed, I'll pickup one or two of the medium sized (not sure the capacity) propane tanks to keep locked up outside. Propane will also run my portable heaters.

12FRETTER

Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #13

Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

I have a gas Generac 8000W. As far as I'm concerned, this is the lower limit for running a well pump. We also have a propane HW heater that needs to run at the same time. Even with a generator this size, when the well pump comes on, the light in the bathroom flickers when you're taking a shower. We also have it hooked up with an interlock, not a transfer switch. Much more flexible this was, and cheaper to install, too. You just can't be dumb when you run it.

Now, if money were no object, I'd have the biggest LP tank I could find, (maybe several),and a slightly bigger generator, with a lot of spare parts. LP because there is no storage issue.

Also, pay attention to Total Harmonic Distortion. It has to be within less than 6% of 60 Cycles to safely run anything with electronics. And EVERYTHING has electronics nowadays.

Last edited by clr8ter; 12-09-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #14

Liked 1117 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I have a gas Generac 8000W. As far as I'm concerned, this is the lower limit for running a well pump. We also have a propane HW heater that needs to run at the same time. Even with a generator this size, when the well pump comes on, the light in the bathroom flickers when you're taking a shower. We also have it hooked up with an interlock, not a transfer switch. Much more flexible this was, and cheaper to install, too. You just can't be dumb when you run it.

Now, if money were no object, I'd have the biggest LP tank I could find, (maybe several),and a slightly bigger generator, with a lot of spare parts. LP because there is no storage issue.

Also, pay attention to Total Harmonic Distortion. It has to be within less than 6% of 60 Cycles to safely run anything with electronics. And EVERYTHING has electronics nowadays.

If ur lights are flickering while ur pump is running with a genny that big u better get it checked out. Check the output when its loaded and see what u have. It shouldnt be doing that ur well pump should.t draw that kinda or power even on startup. When my furnace fires up I always make sure to keep the blower motor on. That's when they pull the most

Last edited by purehavoc; 12-09-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19947 Times on 11336 Posts
Likes Given: 50312

another point. stay away from those really cheap Chinese generators. the generator armatures are junk and that's usually the most expensive portion of the generator. they are cheap for a good reason. i have seen some with less than a few hours fail badly.

Lucas makes a really good fuel stabilizer that i use in all my gasoline engines and stored gasoline.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #16

Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Quote:
If ur lights are flickering while ur pump is running with a genny that big u better get it checked out.
Well, to be fair, there may have been some other things on when that happened. If I make it a point to run just the pump, HW heater, and one light in the bathroom, not too bad. The electrician did put his meter on it the day we installed it, it he seemed satisfied. But yeah, I should look into it, anyway.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8411 Times on 3645 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Wattage you need will depend on what you are running. Your well pump could be a shallow well 120 v, or a deep well 220/240. Your fridge and freezer may be modest sized, or double as a hockey rink.

Things that have heating elements (electric water heaters, clothes dryers, electric ranges) will have a HIGH current demand. Things with a motor (pump, freezer, blower on furnace) have a very high startup current that drops off when motor gets up to speed. Electronics, fluorescents, and LEDs use very little wattage.

Below 5000 watts, you have something that can power a saw, drill, or a mini TV set. Also bear in mind that a genset does NOT have to run all the time- or all the appliances at the same time. Plug in freezer, run for an hour, unplug. If you quit opening the freezer to look for penguins, it will STAY cold for a day.

I keep enough aviation gas (no alcohol) to run for 2 weeks. I also have a bare minimum solar setup with a 2500 watt inverter. And yes, fuel stabilizer is important. But running the carb DRY before storing it is even more important.

PS- you will need extension cords if your genset is not hardwired to the house. Remember bigger wire (smaller number) is better.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 386 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 582

They are super pricey but diesel generators are the most fuel efficient. A 27hp APU on a semi uses 1/5 of a gallon an hour at half load. Diesel can be treated with additives similar to what you treat gasoline with to extend storage. If you have an airtight tank you can pull a vacuum on you can extend that life even further.
For those of you that live in the boonies and have a tractor there are 540rpm and 1000rpm generator sets you can mount on a trailer or the 3pt hitch.

Hey..... what's the red button do?

Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Got a 6k generator that I rarely use, but is ready to go if needed. Northern tenn, southern ky tends to have ice storms from time to time. My neighbor said the last ice storm knocked out power for 2 plus weeks here. Also looking at buying a 30k plus ng/propane fire place unit to add to the wood stove already setup in basement. I need to wire up the breaker panel to accept the generator as well

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 12-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #20

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

I have had the best of luck with Craigslist and buying generators WAY WAY cheaper than anything I could find elsewhere. Small stuff to the big boys, case in point these 2 (just showing you what's out there to spark your interest), both 30kV diesel jobs, enough to supply a small tent city or houses, and tough as nails. Just saw em on Craigslist now in my neck of the woods. $2000 asking on the 1st one (with low hours on the Hobbs meter), and $5500 on the trailer model.

image-843143616.jpg   image-1310331541.jpg  

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 12-10-2012 at 03:03 AM.