Generators - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Generators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Are you kidding???? No it's not. There are 2 products that pass code, (transfer switch, Interlock switch), that to the best of my knowledge are the only 2 legal ways to do it. I would feed my panel back thru a breaker with no interlock switch before I EVER touched the meter. (Although I do have the interlock switch installed)
dude.................i'm tryin to keep someone from killing a lineman! PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!! you can scream code all you want, but "trying" to get a licensed electrician out to your house during a 3 day - week long power outtage due to snow or hurricane is NOT gonna getchu electricity!

if the generator is used "without any" of these disconnects, then THE SAFEST way to hook up the generator is to pull the meter.................in an emergency. is it easier to just flip the main house breaker, sure, but it's also easy to forget to kill the generator before switchin the breaker back on................or for that matter, FORGETTIN TO FLIP THE MAIN HOUSE BREAKER @ ALL.

SAFETY, THAT'S ALL I'M SAYIN.....................NOTHIN MORE THAN THAT...........SAFETY.

it's what i was told from an old 48 year, line veteran.

as for connecting 240V, you are correct. i was making a technical/mathematical point tho, calculation wise.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 08-03-2012 at 08:03 AM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 678 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
dude.................i'm tryin to keep someone from killing a lineman! PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!! you can scream code all you want, but "trying" to get a licensed electrician out to your house during a 3 day - week long power outtage due to snow or hurricane is NOT gonna getchu electricity!

if the generator is used "without any" of these disconnects, then THE SAFEST way to hook up the generator is to pull the meter.................in an emergency. is it easier to just flip the main house breaker, sure, but it's also easy to forget to kill the generator before switchin the breaker back on................or for that matter, FORGETTIN TO FLIP THE MAIN HOUSE BREAKER @ ALL.

SAFETY, THAT'S ALL I'M SAYIN.....................NOTHIN MORE THAN THAT...........SAFETY.
I hear what you're saying, and I'm not trying to disagree with you. But I have to say, if I was trying to unplug/plug my electric meter my hands would be shaking bad, and I'm no stranger to electricity. IMO, anyone who might have difficulty in remembering and carrying out the safe and proper sequence for connecting and disconnecting a generator probably ought not be messing with an electric meter. And your reluctance to give the 'average homeowner' the responsibility of NOT screwing up and sending generator voltage down the line is understandable. But what we have on this forum is a group of people who fire weapons, something that requires a clear mind and a deliberate thought process that carries over into other areas, so that while maybe not approved by the power company, disconnecting the house from the power grid by simply flipping the main breakers down is a simple way of getting the job done and doing it without putting anyone in danger is not really that complicated. BUT it is a huge responsibility! A lot like handling a weapon. Don't do it if you can't do it safely. You can get in a lot of trouble.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #73

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

+1 Ellis36

You know, if you haven't pre-prepped for this situation, I'd say you are S.O.L. (Why do you have a generator and no way to hook it up? It's not like you're going to acquire one in an emergency, anyway.) Many more people know about their main breaker panel, not many (me included) know anything about the meter. So fine, you F**k with the meter when the power is off. When it comes back on, what do you do? Take a huge chance with everything the grid has, or call your power company, admit what you did, and take the big charge and 4 day wait they're probably going to hit you with?

You keep saying a lineman told you to do it this way. How many of us here are linemen? Raise your hands. He should keep in mind that not all have the knowledge he does. He's giving dangerous advice. Period.

Even if you have no generator, (they can sometimes be borrowed), go to the store, or order up some parts, and do the install now, while the sun is out. Worst case, $200 for the interlock, and around the same for an electrician to install.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #74

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

agreed.

i know it's been lost in the replies, but my dad is the 48 year veteran..................and you have a point, not everyone is as comfortable around electricity as they are, but i imagine he didn't want to be on the receivin end of a rogue generator.

most unprepared, or "bucket listers" DO buy that generator (they were needin, or always wanted) when the power goes out and is gonna be out for a few days tho!.....................cuz "the storm hit before i could buy one."

but i guess because i've seen it done so often, that it sounds harder than it really is............

if i was able to post you a video, i could show you how easy it is. it may not be safe (to some), but it IS how the electric companies (safe to them) turn off the power to a homeowner who has not paid his bill...........pull meter, put plastic covers on bottom pins, and re-insert meter until payment is received. then payment received, reverse order is followed and power is restored. no sparks, no noticeable arcs, no buzzin. A VIDEO WOULD BE UNWISE DUE TO LIABILITY ISSUES OR I COULD POST ONE!!!

you are correct tho, a separate disconnect is safest for everyone. i was just $.02in on the thought of emergency generator connection "in an emergency."

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 08-06-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #75

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
if i was able to post you a video, i could show you how easy it is.
allow me to help

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #76

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

I am not arguing the that it's a bad thing for the utility to do it. Sure they have to shut off the juice, and it sounds like the best way to do it. They have the training, no prob. I was strictly speaking from the customer's POV.