Generators - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Generators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2141 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 3246

Quote:
who makes the northern tool generators
Some company in China.

We have two portable generators. One is about 15 years old is 7.5kw and has a Honda engine; it also has very few hours. The other is 6.5 KW with a Subaru engine. The generator portion of that one is made in China.

When the power goes out one of those generators is fired up and hooked up to the fridges, freezer and a light or two. If its winter our natural gas heating system is plugged into a drop cord.

Several years ago we needed a generator at the range i worked at. My boss went to Atwoods and bought a made in China generator with a made in China copy of a Briggs and Stratton engine. The engine threw the rod with less than five hours run time. Boss took it back to Atwoods: There was no warranty on that generator.

Last edited by alsaqr; 07-12-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #52

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Before we bought our generator, I looked extensively at several brands. Here's my list. It's short.

#1 Honda. Top of the line. Also the quietest. Couldn't afford it.

#2 Generac. This is what we bought. Came from a Generac dealer 3 miles away. I know the service will be there if needed. Very good product. Best bang for the buck I found. My one complaint about them is they do not state a decibel level. I think it is a little loud, but doable, and like I said, best bang for the buck.

#3 Northern Tools' North Star brand. Not made in china from what I understand. Honda Motors. Slightly pricey. They state Total Harmonic Distortion less than 6%, which is needed to run sensitive electronics. Most of what you want to run has electronics (anything with a board).This is why I was interested. And this is why I wouldn't buy a made in China one.

The Generac we bought cost 1400 bucks, it's an 8000W electric start. THD came in at an acceptable level.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #53

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 648

I was at the shop where I bought my generator yesterday, and I was asking the guy about Generac. He said that yes, their low-end ones, (GP series), come with china motors. The better ones, and the standby ones all have Generac motors made by them in the US. He also said that Generac and most other generators use Honeywell power heads. He wasn't sure where they were made.

Also, to my great surprise, he told me that HONDA makes motors in China now. Again, their low-end basic ones, (I forget which series). The better ones are still made in Japan. And that China also clones the Honda motors. That part was not a surprise, but the fact that he said they weren't bad motors, and will accept Honda replacement parts, was.

So.......I guess you actually have to do a lot of homework to find out where things are actually made, even within one brand.......

Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #54

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I was wondering that about Honda, I have seen more and more middle grade or bargain type equipment running Honda motors the last couple years, I figured something like that was going on.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 07-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #55

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have a 35KW Winco that is pto driven by my light tractor. its on a 2 wheel trailer, hitch and run, disconnect from the grid and plug it in and twist her tail and it lights up the whole place.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #56

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I ended up with the Briggs 30468 from Mowers Outlet for $719 delivered. I was going to buy from Amazon but their description was inconsistent as it listed the wrong size engine. So I asked them the question and they told me it would take a few days to get an answer. Still waiting for the answer, but since then, they raised the price! See ya!

I'll have a tri-fuel kit on order by the end of the week so I can run it off propane and natural gas as well as gas. That'll be my SHTF setup.

12FRETTER

vincent Likes This 
Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #57

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Thank you for this thread 12Fretter and all who contributed, very informative. Congrats on the new genny...I saw the words Briggs and Stratton and I think you'll be happy with it. If it's anything like my B+S riding mower that... just...won't...die...I think it will serve you well.

I too looked long and hard at the Generacs, my electrician friend installs Generacs exclusively for the people that want backup power. He has great things to say about them but the plastic cam gives me too much concern to trust it with such an important job. Plus they are cost effective so me thinks the bottom line is a significant factor for his company using the Generacs...

Could you post a link about the tri-fuel kit? This is news to me...It shows great forward thinking on your part, backup fuel for the backup power...+1

Thanks again...anyone said 'sticky' yet???

Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #58

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Vincent,

Here is a site that sells and supports the tri-fuel kits I referred to. This opening page is the beginning of the research. It tells you which kits you should be looking for depending on what genny and which fuels you are interesting in being able to use.

If my research is correct, I believe I want the Type C kit with the propane adapter accessory. This kit requires no drilling into the carburetor, as I still want to be able to use gasoline.

12FRETTER

Old 07-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #59
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

JD,

What size Kohler would you recommend. I have a larger all electric home with air conditioner, heat pump, two refrigerators (got to have one to keep the beer cold) have to have priorities you know~a freezer, TVs, Electric Stove and water heater. I have thought about getting a unit for a long time. And would like to have a tank of LP should SHTF! I would like to go with LP as you did with a tank. Also what would you estimate the total cost including installation and the tank etc. I know you have to have some sort of auto power transfer control unit to cut off from the main line when the power from the service goes off. To keep your power from the generator from going out on the lines to prevent electrical workers from being electrocuted thinking the lines are cold.

Thanks

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #60

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
Vincent,

Here is a site that sells and supports the tri-fuel kits I referred to. This opening page is the beginning of the research. It tells you which kits you should be looking for depending on what genny and which fuels you are interesting in being able to use.

If my research is correct, I believe I want the Type C kit with the propane adapter accessory. This kit requires no drilling into the carburetor, as I still want to be able to use gasoline.
Again, thank you very much, your help is appreciated greatly!!

I'd always thought gasoline was gasoline, propane was propane...etc. Never knew the fuel source could be interchangable...learn something every day!

Love to see some pics of the final setup if you can. I'll be working on mine as well, may be a while before it's there though...$$$...and now I have new stuff to research too!

Once again, mad gratitude and happy strummin'!!