Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Generators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 843 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 512

Both a transfer switch and interlock are legal & to code. Actually, for certain remodeling issues, in some places, you DO have to have to have the power company come out and remove/install/move your meter. And in a lot of places, you DO have to get permits for minor remodels, and GENERATORS. (Like siding in Mass. It's a tax thing more than anything, I think. Generators in some NH towns need to have a permit, too.)

Both the transfer switch and the interlock feed 240 to the panel, powering the whole thing. I have not looked at the specific install of a TS, but for the interlock, very easy, very few parts. I had an electrician do mine anyway. Interlock was $160 on the internet, about $50 for misc parts, and $200 for the electrician. In contrast, my neighbor used a TS, and he paid almost $2K to get his done. I think the electrician porked him, but TS are still more expensive to buy & install.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #42

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

That may be, I am stating what happens where I live, I do not know the code for every municipality in the country especially out east where I imagine you probably need to get a permit to mow your lawn. Yes here if you need your meter moved the power company needs to get involved as well but the power company here doesn't actually do anything, the homeowner or electrician needs to install a new meter base in the new location along with a new main panel and all the power company does is come move the line over and hook it on or in some cases contract a underground line installer to come plow in the new line then they come hook it up. Our power company only deals with the line from the meter out, nothing past the meter is their concern. I have worked in the building trades in Northern WI for years mainly in electrical and have done general construction on the side, I try to keep up on the codes in my neck of the woods, I'm glad I live where I do, you get municipalities involved and they can add their own rules to the existing code and sometimes turn stuff into a nightmare, here the worst is trying to do anything on a lake home, even if it's only maintenance like roofing, it can be a headache, counties change the codes almost yearly, however we still don't need a permit for those projects unless it is major addition.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 07-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Seriously blu grammer and punctuation are your friend
I didn't realize we had grammar police on this thread , I can understand my post perfectly well, I expect most others can as well

Old 07-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #44

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I didn't realize we had grammar police on this thread , I can understand my post perfectly well, I expect most others can as well
it's the internet, grammar police are everywhere (don't forget about punctuation )
grammar-police.jpg   grammar_police_by_rysis.jpg  

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

clr8ter Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #45

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hate to say it, but once I looked at the Interlock system, I was hooked. This is an easy design that I can make myself for a lot less than $150, so I plan to do it myself. I already have a 220V circuit in my garage so all I have to do it either move that breaker location up to the top of the box or design the interlock to handle the current location. Either way, it's a pretty easy fix. Can't wait to try it.

12FRETTER

Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #46

Liked 843 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 512

If you have a newer panel, check at Home Depot. They have interlock switches for $60, if you have the right panel. I thought about making my own, too, as I'm a sheet metal mechanic (precision) BUT, then you'd be back to the issue if there was ever a problem, your insurance could deny to pay you.

Dog2K, punctuation and grammar is my pet peeve, too. BCD's is not actually that bad, I have seen SOOOOOO much worse. Still, +1

Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #47

Awww crap, I just can't decide on a generator.

And to make things worse, I am about to go back and contradict myself on the whole Made in China thing unless someone talks me out of it.

Northern Tool sells and services their own Power Horse series of generators. They are made in China, but they are serviced at the store where I would buy it. But that doesn't make me feel any better about the quality unless someone here has a real review of this manufacturer. I still don't know if I want to entrust my families security to it, but on the other hand, I've seen failure after failure of products made both here and abroad.

Has anyone any experience with the Northern Tool brand?

Thanks, and sorry for dragging this out. But I only have one chance at this purchase.

12FRETTER

Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #48

I agree nowadays there is junk made overseas as well as here, and normally I would say than anything out of China has much better odds of being crap than something made here. My personal opinion on your situation is this, I don't know how much money you want to spend or who in your area sells the different brands, or how much you will need to run the generator. As far as service work I personally wouldn't put any stock in a person at one of these stores servicing anything, I don't have a Northern near me so I can't say for sure, but if their employees are anything like Wally World, Menards, Home Depot, etc they are probably completely useless and I wouldn't count on them fixing anything in a timely manner, if service is an issue I would buy from a reputable electrician who is a dealer or a small engine shop which handles generators, then again you will pay more, but when you buy something from these guys they are usually very good about service. Does the genny you are looking at have a decibel rating? This is worth looking into as well. I have a cheapo used genny and when my power goes out in winter and I need to leave it running all night to run my furnace it is very hard to sleep and I have it in a shed that is a good 80 ft from my house, if you may have a situation like that you will wish you looked around and found the quietest model available. Most cheaper models are usually louder, check around for ratings on the decibels, according to what I have read every 3 decibels is approx double the noise so 57 db is approx twice as loud as 54 db.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 156

who makes the northern tool generators

Old 07-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #50

Well I went to Northern last night with the hopes of being able to talk to one of the mechanics to try and get an opinion out of him about this brand, but I didn't know they closed at 8. I arrived at 7:55 and couldn't get to him in time.

There is a nice little repair shop close to me that is also a Briggs station. I went and talked to him today and although he really likes Honda engines, they are priced out of my wallet. He did say he has nothing against the Briggs & Stratton engine though, but RUN from anything made in China.

So I found a Briggs & Stratton 30468 for $699 through Amazon delivered to my house.

I have beat this issue to death. Ready to commit. Thanks to all.

12FRETTER